Unable to sell as I dont have a drivers License or Passport

Ive been a  ebay member buying and selling for several years .However since Ebay bought in  a managed payment policy I haven t sold anything .I spent the morning   doing 12 listings but when i went to list I was told I needed to update my details .I was sent to a form which requires me to provide details of either a drivers license or a passport .I have neither .I then  spent several frustrating minutes talking to ebay live chat .The person I spoke to had no idea what happens when a person has neither of these forms of ID  and said no one in customer service could provide me with the details of why they asked for them .and referred me to the user agreement and payment terms of use but these seem so complicated that I cant seem to find an answer .Is the rule the result of an Australian Government Department requirement and if so which Department ? Lots of people do not have drivers licenses or passports so does this mean they cant ever sell on Ebay again ?

Photobucket

'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered . My life is my own."
Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Unable to sell as I dont have a drivers License or Passport

Yes its another expense, but your only answer might be to apply for a passport. Cost is $30 per year. If you sell one of your computer games on ebay a year you have paid for it and the it provides you with a rock solid form of id that can be used for other things as well. It can be very difficult these days only having limited personal id and as others have found, proof of age cards have their limitations and simply dont cut it for a lot of things now. 

You have sold around $100 in the last 90 days......$400 per year if you continue at that rate. Not providing the valid photo id is going to cost you a lot more than providing it. 

Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

I now sell on Amazon and FaceBook. It's incredible that a private company can ask for your personal details and documents. *Waits for boot lickers to defend corporations and government.

Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

I wouldn't sell on Amazon, the fees are too high, especially when compared to here. Facebook, depends on what I'm selling. What I sell on here doesn't really do that well on Facebook, but stuff from around the house goes well.

Why would anyone defend corporations or the government? If you don't want to sell on ebay, don't. No one is forcing you. You are free to sell anywhere you like.

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

@atomicandroid wrote:

I now sell on Amazon and FaceBook. It's incredible that a private company can ask for your personal details and documents. *Waits for boot lickers to defend corporations and government.

And we really miss you here.  LOL

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

Well, the poster who asked why it was need was provided with factual information

Ergo, we're boot lickers 

So original 

Not

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Well, the poster who asked why it was need was provided with factual information

Ergo, we're boot lickers 

So original 

Not

Yes I assumed I must have being>

I am waiting for them to say I am an Ebay plant as well

Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

I would like to point out that there are high heeled boots made out of chocolate.

I do not in the least mind licking those, but the ordinary sort that one wears on one's feet... no.

Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

@atomicandroid wrote:

This is called cognitive dissonance, lol.

i.e. "How can a private company ask for my personal details - I'm going to Facebook where they use my personal data on the site for their own purposes, and track me across other platforms".

BTW, Facebook is able to ask you for ID, too, if they want, regardless of whether you sell through their marketplace, they'll block access entirely, not just from the ability to sell there. 

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

I’m also facing this problem,I only have my age pension card and Marriage certificate,but neither are acceptable. I’m elderly and only a casual seller. Completely unfair rules now. 

Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

@jeana-4138 wrote:

I’m also facing this problem,I only have my age pension card and Marriage certificate,but neither are acceptable. I’m elderly and only a casual seller. Completely unfair rules now. 

Try getting an approved Government photo ID card.

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply