Unfair Neg - Feedback Removal Policy is Rubbish!

Hi Fellow Sellers,

I have full of anger but nowhere to vent so thought I'd do it here.

Warning - long rant below.

A buyer named <REMOVED> purchased an item from us that required them to leave a message at checkout regarding the design they wanted (it was a listing with multiple variations). Anyway, immediately after the payment, we didn't see a message. So we messaged the buyer and told him that we will not post until he replies back with the design he wanted. A few weeks went pass and still no reply so we continued to wait. Now all of a sudden out of the blue, this idiot left us a negative feedback citing 'I have not received this item yet which was local postage .very poor service'. Trying to stay as calm as possible, I sent a response explaining the situation and told him that I'll send as soon as he picked a design! Still no reply for days, I called ebay to explain the siutation and asked for the feedback to be removed. The fella over the other end sympaphized with me but suggested that if I refunded the byer, then the feedback will definately be removed. He said you don't have to worry as everything is recorded. BUT GUESS WHAT? after the refund (mind you, PAYPAL took the fee out of my pocket!), they say it still cannot be removed! (see below).

"I have thoroughly investigated and reviewed the Feedback for you, and I’ve validated that the Feedback has not met any of our criteria for removal. If I only had the ability to change the Feedback for you, I would certainly do so. We, in eBay, very rarely interfere with Feedback left by our members. We only change Feedback when they are in violation of our terms, such as when the member who left it is no longer on eBay or if the member who left the Feedback is underage. Please understand that if we constantly accept requests to change or remove Feedback, it undermines the whole purpose of the system which is to be a platform where members can leave their professional and truthful opinions about their transactions. The time will come when no one will believe in the system if they find out that we constantly or easily change it."

I then tried to contact the Seller's mobile number using what was provided by ebay but the guy on the other end said wrong number. Can't even get in contact to resolve even if I wanted to! Later, the buyer said ok, i've done wrong, can you send me design 'x'. I said I already refunded and plus you unfairly left us a negative feedback. However, I also told him I'll send 1 free of charge provided he remove the feedback. He said send him the request to revise the feedback in which I did. BUT THEN, he declined it! This buyer idiot who did ALL THE WRONG THINGS vs SELLER WHO DID EVERYTHING AND BENDING OVER BACKWARDS TO TRY AND GET THE UNFAIR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK REMOVED in the end lost. Because of incompetent liars at ebay and this unfair 'feedbacl removal policy'. 

ebay needs to listen up, YOU NEED TO JUDGE CASE ON ITS MERITS, LOOK AT THE WHOLE SITUTATION AND DO WHAT IS COMMONSENSE AND RIGHT!

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unfair Neg - Feedback Removal Policy is Rubbish!

Do yourself a favour, have a default design that is sent if no other choice is made / indicated, and include a note with the package stating why that particular design was sent. You could even send a message prior to postage saying that to avoid delays to postage, the default design will be sent by [X date] if you can't confirm a specific choice by then, if you wanted to cover all your bases. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I hope you realise that you cannot name & shame on here. The User name will be removed shortly.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

I think the problem here might also be that even though you have worded the ad as 1 x, sometimes a buyer doesn't realise that they have to make a choice for only one.  I am embarrassed to say that I have made the same mistake myself.  It is easy to do when the price seems a little too high from just one.  In my case it was for three hooks in different sizes when I should have chosen just one size.

I am not surprised that ebay couldn't remove the feedback, especially as you left it for a couple of weeks without trying to contact the buyer again.

All the same, I think it is a real shame that the buyer refused to reverse the feedback as they did eventually admit to making the mistake. 

Joono
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I hope you have put him on your BBL so you don't have to deal with him again ?

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I would also hope the buyer? doesnt report you to ebay for feedback extortion with your comment about sending a free one if they remove the negative feedback.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Under postage information tab as well as the invoice that gets sent to the buyer, the messagebox clearly states that they will need to pick a design. It's a case of reading before buying. Simple as that.
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

It's not extortion, it's called fair game mate! It's a miracle that I even offered when:
1. He DID NOT read the ad listing description properly AND I gave him a chance to respond with a courtesy email following the purchase
2. He left me negative feedback without reason and did not communicated to me first
3. I refunded him already. HE IS PRACTICALLY GETTING THE ITEM FOR FREE!

I would say HE IS THE ONE EXTORTING ME and ripping me off!
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

JMO but instead of worrying about one negative amongst 5,I'd be more concerned about giving customers the option to buy cheaper away from ebay.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Mate not buy, i offered for FREE because as you know on ebay, customer satisfaction is everything and even when the seller has done no wrong, sometimes they have to do what is not fair to uphold one's reputation. And trust me, the new top seller's program does take negative feedback into consideration so do not tell me it doesn't matter!
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

You're not offering for free at the bottom of your listings-you're offering to sell cheaper on your own website,oops.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply