WHY HAVE EBAY SALES CRASHED

With  nothing having changed on my end, I don't understand why my ebay sales have crashed ... down to about 15% of what they were before ... profit on my sales now barely cover my monthly ebay anchor store costs ... I'm now earning LESS than $1 per hour !

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: WHY HAVE EBAY SALES CRASHED

@chameleon54 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

@pinnacle-agencies wrote:

Can anyone explain to me with a degree of certainty if I am correct in my understanding when carefully studying all the posts above that if you can run new listings or a few popular products or somehow get your sales up again, that they will likely stay up because the ebay systems that rank ones listings see you as a popular seller and take your offerings closer to the top in their search engine?

Having regard for the posts above I have done some experimantation and early indications seem to point that way ... a bit like getting a boat to plane ... needs heaps of grunt to get up and less grant to stay there!

I don't even think most ebay staff claim to now the intricacies of how ebay search results work, so all we have to go on is anecdotal evidence.

From my sales patterns over the last three months this would appear to be correct. I mainly sell one off items in my stores. I have done very little listing for three months, but the items I have listed have been excellent sellers. My sales across the board have been slightly above average INCLUDING many very old listings.

I concluded listing the "red hot" sellers four weeks ago as I had exhausted my suppliers stocks and cant source any more. My sales have drifted lower to be 40% of long term averages last week. All of my items are unique with each item only suited to a very small field of specific buyers, so the "hot sellers" where not attracting buyers who then purchased other items.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the hot sellers where lifting my rankings and visibility overall in searches. I will try to get some listings up this week and expect a lift in sales, but without the "red hot sellers" I would not expect to return to average sales without listing high numbers of new listings of average selling items.

On a slightly different path, we started a second store two years ago from scratch, zero feedback etc. We listed our best items on this store and within three months it was going like a rocket and had outsold our existing large store with high feedback scores and six times as many listings. From other forum discussions this would seem to be the exception rather than the rule, but reinforces the "popular sellers get higher rankings overall " theory. We had to go back and list some great sellers on the older existing store to kick start sales again.

The biggest problem is to find sufficient stocks of the really hot selling items. They are usually rare and highly sought after. THATS WHY they sell so well.

I  have spent quite a bit of time on ebay in the last couple of weeks trying listing strategies to lift sales. I have been listing a few items at a time, a couple of times throughout the day ( morning and late afternoon or evening ). The items I have listed are only steady sellers.

I have managed to drag my sales back from 40% of long term avarage to now be trending at 70% of long term average.  I must admit, some of this boost is coming from sales of the newly listed items, but I think the extra account activity is stimulating visibility, lifting sales of existing listings too.

I have noted an alarming fall in page views on the main account..... Figures as follows. June 2014 - 4037 page views.  May 2015 - 3022 page views. June 2015 - 2774 page views.  This indicates a 30% drop in page views over a twelve month period, which equates to where my sales are currently sitting. My second store account shows a similar fall in page views of around 25% year on year.

One interesting thing I have noted is one of my best sellers has started selling in large numbers to the U.S.A. It started with a couple of isolated sales and has turned into a run on the product, all to the U.S.A. The sell through rate has obviously been picked up by cassini and the item must be sitting near the top of listings visibility wise in that market. This has been going on for a few weeks and is enough to have a material impact on my figures.

I,m not sure what all of this means, but if we see a further fall of 30% in page views and sales over the coming twelve months, life could get a bit difficult. Strap your seatbelts and parachutes on.......... we could be in for a rough ride.       

Following earlier signs of success, I,ve continued to list several items throughout the day and early evening each day. This has seen my sales continue to rise back up from their slump a couple of months ago ( averaging 40-50% of long term sales ) to now be tracking above long term average. Some of these sales are coming from the new listings, but sales overall have firmed up. It would seem the listing activity is having an effect on Cassini as is the extra sales generated.

The overseas sales are still firming and are contributing an important part to my overall sales, ( up to 50% some days ) so would reccomend selling OS if your products are suitable. With the Australian economy slowing, having buyers from around the world opens products up to a much larger pool of potential customers, helping to plug the gap from falling Australian buyer confidence.

Message 71 of 72
Latest reply

Re: WHY HAVE EBAY SALES CRASHED

@ourphonecase wrote:

Ahh yeah the good old days where you are allowed to have 1 picture free and everything else you had to pay for..

Images have always been free to post as long as they were hosted off-site (i.e. photobucket, etc.).

Not only that, fees were lower, eBay didn't rip off 10% of our postage, and the board's mods were a lot friendlier.

Message 72 of 72
Latest reply