Wake up eBay and stop charging so much already! Reduce your fees back down to acceptable levels!

crakka
Community Member

Just got a message from eBay that they removed my item because it had "Make an offer" in the description and this was breaching their "policies". In fact I did have the item previously listed as a "Buy it now" and forgot to proof read the description as it didn't make sense after I "sent to Auction". WEll a silly blunder it may have been, but I had a pretty wordy email from them on how doing this and that and making offers outside eBay and all is considered unfair amongst other lines that were quite presumptuous on their part, such as: "These practices are considered a way of avoiding eBay fees. Listings that try to avoid fees put sellers who pay their fees at a disadvantage. Also, they can create a poor buying experience."

What the blazes? ARe they the police? What happened to the good old easy going eBay of yesterday? and what about how much we all pay when selling now? Isn't it about time for everyone to wake up and demand a reverting back to fairness and fair fees, without the pretense of giving free listings and all that being "good compensation" for the amount you pay on final values? Come on people, you are really getting the wool pulled oer your eyes. Do the maths, look at how much more you pay over all now as opposed to when the sellers fees were 4.7% and there was no such thing as a fee on the postage as well. Even Paypal went up too. Did the value of providing a monetary highway go up, or did it get more expensive for them to run their servers? Bull! They are making squillions more now than ever, so if anything, since they get more  traffic than everyone else, they should be reducing the cost of listing and selling if anything. They are all acting like banks!

So I sent them these following words to consider. I suggest a few million more people say something before all of your rights dissapear and you are just milked for all you can bare to let go of. Seriously!

In response to:

"MC018 Your listing has been removed: Direct Sales"

I have reviewed the item that was listed as not within eBay policies. This was including the phrase "make an offer". I apologize that this was an oversight as the original listing which was a "Buy it now or best offer" type, I sent to auction without realizing that the wording breached the policies of eBay.
It is relisted as a revised version.

I do however regret that I don't agree with all of the accusations in the warning message, and further to that, I believe that eBay procures far too much in the way of "fees". The recent hike from around 5% to around %10 of the final value was a shock to many, since for high priced items, eBay makes insane profits. Also I believe that it is dishonest and money grabbing opportunism to include a fee on top of postage and freight costs, as most people realize that that service is not really a part of the purchase and do not want to pay additional fees on their postage but only what it literally costs. This means a further deferral in most cases of the additional fees to the seller, who if they are just a back yard blitz seller of their personal items, are mined for their goods value as well as their spare change too. It doesn't stop there, but since eBay has procured Paypal as well, they now receive fees three times on only ONE sale. How much do they think is really fair to sting people for simply using their handy service which runs on the smell of an oily rag, basically electronic blips and keystrokes, and who rarely enforce any breach of the law when a buyer decides to renig on their purchase.

I regret to say that I feel their is a very large imbalance of service verses costs on eBay, internationally and on the home front. It's about time people woke up to it!

regards,

An annoyed loyal seller for more than a decade.....

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Wake up eBay and stop charging so much already! Reduce your fees back down to acceptable levels!

@crakka wrote:

"No-one's holding a gun to your head to stay here."

Of course not, but when there is no one standing up to monopoly and there is no competition, you don't have any other choice. The fact that they know this is convenient to them and means that they are less likely to lower fees and more likely to focus on their profits. So what is the answer?

Again we come back to standing up and saying something, demanding fairness. Otherwise you may as well be a frog in a cold saucepan of water with the flame on low.

Pardon?

I'm fairly sure there are NUMEROUS alternative online sites. Like Amazon, all the big box retailers who eBay have decided to do sweetheart deals with, etc...

The FVF on postage is set in stone. The ACCC have ratified it, the Government won't do anything.

Simple solution - work with the system or leave. eBay certainly aren't going to pay attention, especially when they don't read the boards.

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Re: Wake up eBay and stop charging so much already! Reduce your fees back down to acceptable levels!

Dont worry Ebay is dying a slow death. Amazon is supposedly killing them.... maybe not in overall sales etc but Ebay is not growing as it suspects it should be.

Now I just buy from Amazon. I bought some vinyl records and they sent the wrong ones and I said Aust Post postage to return them would cost more than double the cost of the original item and postage from England. So Amazon said "Sorry about sending the wrong item- please keep the records as a gift and we will send replacements" AWESOME!!!!! Then the records arrived again and they were the same as the wrong ones. APPARENTLY their listing was incorrect so I didnt bother taking it further. I got double what I paid for and LUCKILY for me the wrong ones they sent were ones I was intending on buying anyway.

Plus Ebay is getting desperate!!!! In America they are CRYING OUT for more sellers- so much so that they are opening bricks and mortar stores in shoppng centres across the country so people can sell their items in a store. LOL DESPERATE FOR SELLERS-- theyve done everything to intentionally get rid of second hand small sellers.

Ebay Aus can do what they want. It might not sound much to them but the $5000 or so I spend a year goes straight to Amazon now. ONLY secondhand items I buy off Ebay but theres not much of that anymore either.

So Ebay can go and kiss a fat rats clacker dressed in a little santas outfit drinking eggnog and fattening its date up with pork crackling because I couldnt care less.

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Do you have any reputable links to back up your rant? If not, it will be taken as you just having sour grapes. I'm not sure that Amazon is killing eBay. What I sell can't be bought on Amazon, so I'm pretty safe. I also can't imagine that eBay is screaming out for sellers. There are too many sellers now as it is. It's buyers they are screaming out for.

I'm not sure I'd be praising Amazon for sending the wrong item not once, but twice. That's pretty bad if you ask me. Not a good way to conduct business at all. If that had happened to me, I'd never shop there again. I don't have time for that sort of carp.

If you aren't using eBay any more, why even bother to come into the forums and spout the news? No-one really cares. No-one from eBay reads the forums, so your rant was pretty much in vain. Even if eBay did read the forums, they couldn't give two hoots whether a low feedback occasional buyer decided never to buy again. You not using eBay any more is not going to send them broke. You are merely a broken grain of sand on the beach.

Don't slam the door on your way out. Make sure you close it though because the flies are really bad at the moment.

batiment-103

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

Ah, but Tippy,  kaos uses ebay to sell

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Well if you are going to show us how good you are with maths at least start with the right data.  Garbage in Garbage out

"In 2009 I had to pay for every listing, with the occasional freebie for under $1.00 AUCTION listing thrown in . FVF 9.9%"

Wrong

FVF Fees in 2009 were not 9.9% for either Auction or Bin

Starting Price Insertion Fees
$0.01-$0.99 $0.15
$1.00-$9.99 $0.35
$10.00-$24.99 $0.55
$25.00-$49.99 $1.00
$50.00-$199.99 $2.00
$200.00-$499.99 $3.00
$500.00 $4.00

Selling Price Final Value Fee
Item Not Sold No Fee
$0.01-$24.99 8.75%
$25.00-$1,000.00 3.50%
$1,000.01 & up 1.50%

Store listing fees were

Store Item Price $1.00-$24.99 $25.00-$199.99 $200.00+
Insertion Fee $0.03 $0.05 $0.10

Any savings from 20 or 200 freebie listing fees quickly disapppear with the extra FVF particularly now that postage is included.  The only reason your paying less now is because you are selling less.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

Not quite. When I looked at a store, the insertion fees were significantly more than that. Which is why I didn't open a store until media fees were set at 5c. In 2010.

I am actually selling more.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

Some people are complete psycho. Got this message from a buyer who thinks I charge you much for postage. I explained to her I was compensating for all ebay/listing fee and this is her reply.

i think U are violating ebay. Policy and I should report U to administration. It's disgusting that you are charging above actual costs for postage. I wish I can leave negative feedback without bidding on your item. 

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Hi everyone, the discussion is getting a little heated.  Please be sure to keep your communications civil.  Thanks!

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

chloe said:

Some people are complete psycho. Got this message from a buyer who thinks I charge you much for postage. I explained to her I was compensating for all ebay/listing fee and this is her reply.

i think U are violating ebay. Policy and I should report U to administration. It's disgusting that you are charging above actual costs for postage. I wish I can leave negative feedback without bidding on your item. 

--------------------------

Wow, that might be someone to block from bidding on your items.

I find a lot of people (buyers) just don't understand that sellers are being charged a commission on the postage cost, & obviously some, like this woman, don't get it even when it is explained to them.

Mind you, if you want to cover your ebay listing fees (and of course ebay sellers have to do that somehow), I would be adding all your fees on to the cost of the actual item rather than the postage cost as you can't turn the tide and the buyers will be judging you against actual postage cost & thinking you're a rip off artist if you hike those up too much.

That's the way it pretty well works, so accept it and work around it.

As for selling on ebay. It isn't what it was, not the place for low cost, second hand garage sale type items any more. There is a lot of tedious risk to a seller these days if an item isn't perfect. Plus-from my perspective, there are things I see that I wouldn't mind bidding on & the price itself is okay but the postage cost pushes it up too high. Unless you're talking very good brands, it often is just not worth it.

But having said that, there is still a market for some things. I guess sellers have to make their own decision-if they can turn a profit they will stay, if their particular lines don't work on ebay, they will go elsewhere.

There are a lot of other online selling sites these days. Ebay is one of them. I think it will be around for years more but i expect some others will grow too. the internet is still in early days, and I say that as someone who has had it for 21 years.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply