Why Paypal as only option for safe method of payment can affect you.

Hi all

I am concerned about the upcoming plan to remove alternatives to Paypal for payment. 

Ebay are proposing to use Paypal only payment as their safe payment of method.

Diminishing any competition by removing Paymate.

Ebay require all sellers to have at least one safe method of payment - either Paypal, Paymate or Credit Card.

Currently Credit Card can be used by using Payflow (Paypal) or Cybersource - Cybersource require 3,000 transactions or more per month.

This makes Cybersource not an option for 99% of mum, dad and regular sellers.

So effectively by removing Paymate, ebay will ensure that Paypal is the only option available to sellers/consumers.

Paypal may change their fees/rules/witholding money rules at any time. 

The ACCC ruled against ebay previously for using Paypal as a monopoly and I would encourage consumers again to lodge a complaint with the ACCC to ensure this doesn't happen again:

https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/general-enquiry-form

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Why Paypal as only option for safe method of payment can affect you.

I  agree with JIM Croce's point, .
DK

Message 31 of 42
Latest reply

sorry davewill maybe i shoulkd of said potential buyers than watchers , as if buyers only have paypal its a bit hard to buy from a seller that offers somethink  else   have a nice day.

Message 32 of 42
Latest reply

The representative who rang me told me I wouldn't need to have paypal or a merchant card.

I am now wondering if what I was told is correct.

Message 33 of 42
Latest reply

@perthcoins wrote:

The representative who rang me told me I wouldn't need to have paypal or a merchant card.

I am now wondering if what I was told is correct.

It's well known on the boards that if you ask 3 different CS reps the same question you'll be more than likely to get 3 different answers.

So unless the policy of having a safe payment method has changed very recently, the answer given to you is BS.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 34 of 42
Latest reply

I asked myself the exact same question just the other day - this seems to be irregular and I have actually brought it up with the ACCC

thanks for posting!

Message 35 of 42
Latest reply

@ecowolfieshannon wrote:

I asked myself the exact same question just the other day - this seems to be irregular and I have actually brought it up with the ACCC

thanks for posting!

Good luck with that.

Given Paypal IS NOT the only allowed option for safe payment.

And that it has been thrashed out myriad times before.

I suspect the ACCC employee, on seeing "eBay mandatory Paypal" in any sentence will consign the complaint to the round filing cabinet and send you a form answer.

Message 36 of 42
Latest reply

Why should ANY seller accept PayPal for Local Pickup? eBay have stopped COD payment ... personally I've stopped local pick up and explained it due to eBay/PayPal's monopoly behaviour. I WISH there was an alternative!

Message 37 of 42
Latest reply

This thread is over FOUR years old. A lot of the information contained in it is out of date.

It is best if you have a question to open a new thread rather than drag up a dead thread. If you're just venting (and you are wrong, btw), then that makes it even more pointless.

Message 38 of 42
Latest reply

Do you know you can post 4.98 kgs of sinkers anywhere in Australia for only $8.95 now.

Message 39 of 42
Latest reply

Yeah, I noticed that, but with their attitude I let it ride.

$17 postage   pfffft

Message 40 of 42
Latest reply