Why are seasoned buyers suddenly having difficulty combining purchases?

It has been quite a while since I was a regular seller, but now that I started selling again, I am finding that many buyers, even longtimers, are having trouble combining their purchases.

Even though I include a detailed instruction in my listings on how to combine purchases in order to qualify for combined shipping discounts, I am spending a lot of time on lengthy email exchanges with buyers who cannot seem to figure out how to do it. 

In the past, it was only ever brand-new buyers who might have had to ask these basic questions, but now it is buyers who have hundreds of feedback ratings. 

Is anyone else encountering this problem? What is a possible solution? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why are seasoned buyers suddenly having difficulty combining purchases?

For starters the method of combining items, as described in your listings, is obsolete.

For buyers to request combined post now, they must place the items in the ebay cart, and then  request a total invoice via the cart.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Well, it is a sad reality that many buyers don't bother to read the full item description or instructions... I have even seen sellers get negative feedback for not combining postage because the buyer had already paid for the items and then wanted a discount, even if the listing explained how to combine postage.

Normally it works to request a total after adding the items to the cart. It won't work if the seller has selected immediate payment for the items or also if postage is free, as I have noticed, even if in reality free postage does not exist, as the cost is included in the item.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I'm not sure which aspect of my description for combining items are now considered obsolete.

Part of my instruction reads:

"The way to combine purchases yourself without paying for them first, and still secure them, is to add them to your cart, and then request a combined invoice prior to making any payment.

In your cart, you will see an option to Request Total on the top right-hand side of the list of the items you wish to purchase in your cart. Click on this."

Maybe I am being too wordy and only end up confusing buyers? 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, that has also been my experience, that buyers insist on a postage discount even after they pay for items separately. To date, I have given the combined discount even though I posted the items separately. This is an expensive exercise when the buyer is overseas, but preferable to negative feedback in this early stage of accruing seller feedback for the year.

It is still a puzzle, though, when long-time buyers continue to make this mistake. 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

they're probably using the app

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry  I only read this bit,,

If intending to make more than one purchase and you wish to take advantage of combined postage, you must request a combined invoice prior to paying for any of the items.

I assume like me, most dont bother to read past there.

Anyway you do eventually get to how to combine correctly.  maybe that should be at the top of the blurb.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I'm a buyer who - provided I have decided to buy ALL the items I have put in the cart - is happy to click the Request Total option, because once you click it you are also agreeing to buy the items.

However, sometimes I put things in the cart and they add up to quite a lot and I really need to know how much the combined postage would be before committing to buy.  Then I go to Contact Seller and ask first.  It's also necessary to do this when a seller has inadvertently set up one item for immediate payment and the rest of the items can be combined.

Maybe it's not the cart option you need to stress but the Contact Seller one instead.  If you can also put the 'how to do it bit' in dot points that might make it easier for some buyers to read and follow the instructions.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Contact seller is definitely the best option. I offer blanket volume discounts, and therefore, eBay will not give buyers a request total option. I have clearly stated in all my listings to contact me.

Those who do get a new listing for the negotiated price, those who don't get refunded less my fees. The majority.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I've given up trying to explain to buyers using computers how they might request combined postage. I have been removing those directions from listings. Those that do know how to navigate the system, do so, although some have written saying the request from the cart system hasn't worked. That most buyers are using the app doesn't help.

Basically, it has just become too hard for buyers.

Now I state that all multiple purchases will be combined and they will receive a postal refund, less any ebay fees paid, when it's over a few dollars.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply