Why are seasoned buyers suddenly having difficulty combining purchases?

It has been quite a while since I was a regular seller, but now that I started selling again, I am finding that many buyers, even longtimers, are having trouble combining their purchases.

Even though I include a detailed instruction in my listings on how to combine purchases in order to qualify for combined shipping discounts, I am spending a lot of time on lengthy email exchanges with buyers who cannot seem to figure out how to do it. 

In the past, it was only ever brand-new buyers who might have had to ask these basic questions, but now it is buyers who have hundreds of feedback ratings. 

Is anyone else encountering this problem? What is a possible solution? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If the buyer is using phone, app or any device other than a PC the "Request Total" will not work.

I also have detailed instructions on all my listings but, through many questions asked by buyers (& me questioning them), this is what I have found.

I just go with the flow & refund, less fees if they pay more postage than they should, or make up a special listing or change postage on each listing if they contact me beforehand.  No use worrying about it as it's been going on for years & Ebay are not about to "fix" it.

Good luck!!

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

I was just browsing this thread out of curiosity but a couple of things struck me.

First off, your instructions in the description seem perfectly clear to me. I decided to click into some of your ads (interesting items by the way) and I thought the instructions stood out extremely well. The different sections of your ad were in different colours. You had a bold heading saying important note. How much easier could you make it!

I don't see how anyone could miss it. It does need to go last because the main thing a buyer wants to see in an ad when they click into the description is information about the actual item.

When you say you are spending a lot of time with buyers asking basic questions though, do you mean before or after they have bought? If it is after they have bought then maybe it is as others suggested and it is harder to do on other devices.

One thing I had not realised till I read zanadoo's post though was that if people put things in a cart and then 'request total' from a seller, they are commiting to buy. In the past, well before carts etc, I can remember asking sellers if they combined postage and how much it would be if I bought a, b & c, because I liked to know in advance how much I would be up for. I'm still the same on most other online sites now in that I will often put a thing in a cart and then proceed to the end just to see what the postage is. I won't commit to buy till I know.

Your postage costs seem very reasonable and the ones I saw all seemed to be around the $10-$12 mark. I am wondering if it would just be easier to add that amount to your item costs and list as free postage. That way, people won't be asking for a discount on postage and you won't have too much bother with having to exchange messages.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply