Why aren't people buying on ebay? Discuss...

It seems the general consensus is that for many sellers (myslef included) eBay sales have dropped in recent times.

My question is why?

I'd be interested to hear why people think this is happening.

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Why aren't people buying on ebay? Discuss...

I have no idea, but it is very disheartening. I spent a lot of time over the last promotion period making new listings, and it all now seems a waste.

Message 2 of 48
Latest reply

shedshite
Community Member

I am happy to discuss this point. When Ebay started to introduce their new policies relating to complaints and returns etc., I terminated my selling completely for 12 months and watched how it would play out. As expected it created havock with those sellers of secondhand items and allowed many new forms of scams to evolve. 

In the last 6 months I have started back into selling, but have had to dramaticly change how I did this. 

1. Under NO circumstances do I sell to any overseas customers thru Ebay or use PayPal for receiving payment from International customers who may of purchased an item from myself privately.

2. Reduced the value of items I offer thru Ebay while at the same time increasing the value of items I list thru Gumtree.

So far not one dud transaction! but the downside has been a lot less sales. I know I can triple my sales and increase the dollar amount considerably by going back to my old style of selling, but you only need one $4-5K transaction to go bad O/S and 3 months of trading goes down the tube. 

Current scam artists are looking for high value items in particular to make it worth while for them to operate, while the small time scammer is looking for either bulk or to scam something for personal use. From my point of view I have a fair chance to find and sort out a problem within Australia. But I do not have a chance in hell to do this O/S especially when the policies of both Ebay and PayPal conspire to stifle true justice and fair business practice. So back to the topic. Customers are not buying because sellers are fearful to trade openly on Ebay and have restricted their selling practices, there by not being able to offer a greater range of material to a greater range of customers. Regards to All. Norm

Message 3 of 48
Latest reply

Money is hard to come by these days, personally I feel. 

I used to buy heaps on Ebay, now I still use my old items even if broken until I really need it. People will wait till something is on discount.

In Australia, most work is on a casual contract now so everything is always in limbo.

That is how I feel about it.

I will also always seek an overseas seller, if I have the time to wait for it as well. They are reliable.. mostly. I do not buy expensive items from overseas though.

But I have had my share of horrors over there.

Things do not last long.

If it is a battery or something simple then I will buy it.

Stuff from Hong Kong is good and it is cheaper to post from there than within Australia. This system I do not like.

AP is so expensive.

Message 4 of 48
Latest reply

I think,in a way, ebay has 'had it's day' plus, people are tired of ebay only protecting and supporting scammers

Of my last 52 listings,1 thing sold

several messages from scammers

other messages from people who clearly had no real interest in actually buying (aka time wasters)

plus, there seems to be a heck of a lot of buyers who prefer to take their chances on cheap (and shonky) overseas sellers 

Message 5 of 48
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

It seems the general consensus is that for many sellers (myslef included) eBay sales have dropped in recent times.

My question is why?

I'd be interested to hear why people think this is happening.

I think erg has hit the nail on the head - people just aren't spending.

My sales here are down dramatically on my previous years - but - I also have another business which is not an on-line business and it is in bad shape also.  People either don't have the money, or if they do, they aren't prepared to part with it.

Both my hubby and I are self employed, so rarely if ever an increase in income - but expenses seem to continue to rise, leaving less to spend.  We rarely spend on luxuries and haven't had a holiday in more years than I care to mention.  And I know we're not on our own in this boat.  Selling here was aimed at boosting our income and at the same time being an enjoyable hobby . . . . .  on that score I need not add much more - suffice to say between glitches, rules and policies & the never ending fear of unfair defects the enjoyment is lacking these days, lol, along with sales  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 48
Latest reply

Some good points brought up already.

I thought maybe all of the other online sales avenues could be a factor.

For example if Facebook, Gumtree, Etsy and combined other miscellaneous sites were to take just 6% each of my previous buyers/sales that would equate to an approx 25% downturn in sales.

Message 7 of 48
Latest reply

Many of the smaller sellers have been squeezed out by eBay policy and site changes, resulting in lack of confidence in the site and, sadly, in buyers as well. 

I have always believed that a site like eBay is most successful when it functions like an ecosystem, containing a wide variety of sellers / buyers who all contribute to the overall sustainability (for example, a large seller can attract buyers who then go on to discover things from sellers of all types, a smaller seller can attract a different set of buyers looking for unique and hard to find items, and those buyers can sometimes become sellers [casual or otherwise] and introduce new things to the site. Many sellers are also buyers, but they can usually only spend if they sell, while the big retailers don't spend on the site so the flow of money, so to speak, gets more and more one way - out. Favouring big retailers in an environment like this can ultimately have the same effect of an ecosystem in which the apex predator eats all their food and then leaves the area a wasteland. The big retailers will move on, eBay won't be able to, so I question their priorities. 

Many buyers are tired of the site and app glitches that seem to thwart what should be a simple process of buying and paying, tired of endless eBay spam which includes emails with subject lines like "what are you waiting for" (seriously, eBay?) not to mention spam about items that were looked at, but never even 'watched' or added to the cart (really seriously eBay? People have indicated a complete lack of interest in a listing, and you decide to spam them about it as if that's going to encourage purchase?) 

A lot of their policies look like they're designed to inspire buyer confidence, but they're lazy, stop-gap solutions that address major issues after the fact, as far as I'm concerned. As a buyer, I can get my money back easily enough (most of the time) if I received something that isn't as described - that's neat and all, but how about addressing some of the site issues that would reduce the instances of may of the problems that actually occur.

That goes for sellers, too - I think properly enforcing site policies (including the ones for buyers), doing something about location misrepresentation, fraudulent listings, frequent scammers etc. would result in people being significantly more confident in buying and selling. i.e. If they knew the instances of issues were minimal, rather than if they knew something can be done about it after it occurs. As it is now, it's like eBay's just letting (some) people do whatever they want, and saying "we might fix it up after". Not good enough, by a long shot. 

Message 8 of 48
Latest reply

There is still a lot of debate whether they will increase the GST as well.

And a lot of taxation reforms.

Yes that fear constantly of accidently breaking policies and getting a negative feedback is a killer.

It kinda does not motivate you.,

i have had no issue with location. I search to see if it is located in australia. We all know how long post takes.

Stuff from hong kong only takes 2 weeks and AP is up to 1 week.

AP is too rediculous with pricing. And with all the Ebay fees it makes it hard to be competitive to someone in hong kong who can post a bulky  $5.00 item for free

Message 9 of 48
Latest reply

The increase in the GST does not come into effect till next year and tax reforms will not happen overnight.

I doubt that either of these has any real effect on current ebay trading.

Message 10 of 48
Latest reply