Why is the postage cost for an item sold in eBay.au have a 30% mark up when viewed from ebay.co.UK?

LOST SALES.

Been told my postage cost to the EU is to much so looked into it & found when searching any of the products I sell from Australia eBay .com.au viewing it on the site ebay.co.UK the postage cost has a 30% mark up over the price on my Australian eBay .com.au sale page, why? 

On Australian eBay I list the postage cost to the UK as $29.40 on eBay UK is shows as $41.88, I even used a VPN London & get the same results posted anywhere in the EU 30% a mark up by eBay, USA & Canada eBay.com show the correct postage cost. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why is the postage cost for an item sold in eBay.au have a 30% mark up when viewed from ebay.co.

The rate of VAT automatically applied by eBay? If so the cost of the BIN item should also be higher. There is no VAT in USA but some states charge a sales tax, which eBay automatically adds.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why is the postage cost for an item sold in eBay.au have a 30% mark up when viewed from ebay.co.

The rate of VAT automatically applied by eBay? If so the cost of the BIN item should also be higher. There is no VAT in USA but some states charge a sales tax, which eBay automatically adds.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Just a Guess.

20%  VAT   with taxes applied in postage and handling charges

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay is collecting customs/VAT duties upfront now, so that the buyer will not have to pay anything further. For the buyer, it may appear as one charge, or it may display as a postage/VAT/taxes fee, (or however it is worded).

What I normally do is attach a small ziploc bag on the outside of the parcel with a copy of the invoice so that Customs can quickly open it and see that taxes have been collected.

This helps to prevent items being returned to you because buyers change their minds and decide they don't want to pay any import fees. 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Looking from the UK side the cost of the item has 20% added to the price listed, postage cost has 30% added to the listed price.  

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

So there are probably customs duties or tarrifs applicable on top of the VAT.   Duties are usually lumped under  (Postage, Handling, Taxes and any other applicable charges).

Your buyer should know what they are expected to pay

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply