Why the f can't I list an item?

I've sold on ebay for year and just tonight I tried listing an item and the below error popped up -

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

• It looks like you don't have an updated payment method on file with us. To complete your listing, please Choose a payment method (credit/debit card or PayPal account) to pay your eBay seller fees.

I've updated my payment details multiple times, and this keeps stopping me from listing.  Can someone tell me what's going on?

Ps. Cancelled my eBay plus subscription and will no longer use this platform. 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Why the f can't I list an item?

But have you updated with valid payment method.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Probably something to do with managed payments -  everyone had to sign up

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Have you signed up for Managed Payments?

It's been rolling out for the past year or so - you would have received correspondence from Ebay about it.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Probably something to do with managed payments -  everyone had to sign up

There is a bit of a misconception going around that everyone has had to sign up for managed payments and paypal is finished on ebay. While most sellers have now transitioned to managed payments, there is still quite a few who have not been moved onto the system by ebay yet. 

My newest selling account is still on paypal although I wish it was on managed payments. With the transition occurring it appears the systems ebay have used in the past to manage the interface with paypal are no longer being supported and there are a lot more glitches than normal ( if that is possible ) with accounts still on paypal.

I recently had a small hitch with paypal and missed a regular monthly selling fee with ebay. I made a manual payment within 24 hours, but  was still receiving messages up to a week later, stating the payment had not been made and threatening to freeze my selling account. A chat session to CS confirmed everything with the selling id was as it should be and the problem was with ebay.

So you are not alone. Ebays systems for those sellers still on paypal are in chaos.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

I was told clearly by ebay that if I did not sign up to managed payments then I could no longer sell items on their platform. They even called me to make sure I did.

The problem is that there are both buyers and sellers that do not want to hand over their ID. One person wanted to buy a $500 item from me but he said ebay wouldn't allow him to purchase the item.  He said quote "they wanted more personal ID from me, most people won't do that" and well he just couldn't buy my item. Whilst I was on chat about another issue I asked why this buyer couldn't buy my item and the reply was "please ask him to contact ebay as there appears to be an issue with his account". When I passed this on to him, he said I have no issues with my account, errrr ok.

Why is it so hard for some people just to start a chat session with ebay and work out why things aren't happening? From my experience I find chat quite helpful and so far have resolved all cases for me, even if it takes 6 weeks or more.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

He said quote "they wanted more personal ID from me, most people won't do that" and well he just couldn't buy my item. Whilst I was on chat about another issue I asked why this buyer couldn't buy my item and the reply was "please ask him to contact ebay as there appears to be an issue with his account".

There must have been an issue with their account or they were trying to scam you. Buyers can STILL pay with Paypal, there's no change there.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

The problem is that there are both buyers and sellers that do not want to hand over their ID. One person wanted to buy a $500 item from me but he said ebay wouldn't allow him to purchase the item.  He said quote "they wanted more personal ID from me, most people won't do that" and well he just couldn't buy my item. Whilst I was on chat about another issue I asked why this buyer couldn't buy my item and the reply was "please ask him to contact ebay as there appears to be an issue with his account". When I passed this on to him, he said I have no issues with my account, errrr ok.

Most likely a scammer

Don't deal with anyone that wants to hide their ID from a respected business.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Well well well, seems like I was right about ebay wanting a bit too much info from buyers as well. As I said before, I don't mind, I hand it over as I am a regular buyer and seller.

Today I bid on an item and I was blocked from bidding until I provided my phone number and got a code. I had to sign back in again, verify my phone number, get a code and enter it, click proceed and then go back to the sale. I can understand why some buyers won't go through this process and in 18 years this has never happened to me before. Here is the screen that came up during bidding.

Screen Shot 09-09-21 at 06.40 AM_LI.jpg

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

selling on ebay a year?  So literally the entire time you've been selling on the platform you've been getting emails, messages, phone calls from Ebay about managed payments.  

You've had a year to get signed up.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply