Why the f can't I list an item?

I've sold on ebay for year and just tonight I tried listing an item and the below error popped up -

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

• It looks like you don't have an updated payment method on file with us. To complete your listing, please Choose a payment method (credit/debit card or PayPal account) to pay your eBay seller fees.

I've updated my payment details multiple times, and this keeps stopping me from listing.  Can someone tell me what's going on?

Ps. Cancelled my eBay plus subscription and will no longer use this platform. 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Why the f can't I list an item?

Interestingly P9 the OP listed a set of golf wedges shortly after their threat of "leaving the platform".

I guess the train arrived after all........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Well well well, seems like I was right about ebay wanting a bit too much info from buyers as well. As I said before, I don't mind, I hand it over as I am a regular buyer and seller.

Today I bid on an item and I was blocked from bidding until I provided my phone number and got a code. I had to sign back in again, verify my phone number, get a code and enter it, click proceed and then go back to the sale. I can understand why some buyers won't go through this process and in 18 years this has never happened to me before. Here is the screen that came up during bidding.

Screen Shot 09-09-21 at 06.40 AM_LI.jpg

As I am a seller, and I see you are as well.   I would have thought you would be happy that eBay are doing some verification of potential buyers of your goods.   If they didnt you would be the first to jump on here and have a good old complain.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

^It wasn't about that complaining, it was about buyers having to prove ID and not being able to buy if they didn't. Someone else was commenting that they can still buy via PayPal and I was just mentioning that this wasn't the case and ID had to be provided, that's all.^

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Someone else was commenting that they can still buy via PayPal and I was just mentioning that this wasn't the case and ID had to be provided, that's all.

That was me, and buyers most certainly can use Paypal to purchase items on eBay.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@bmanly3 wrote:

Someone else was commenting that they can still buy via PayPal and I was just mentioning that this wasn't the case and ID had to be provided, that's all.

That was me, and buyers most certainly can use Paypal to purchase items on eBay.

Of course they can but as I showed clearly, to do this I had to verify ID, log back in, give my phone number, get an activation code, go back to the item and bid again. i.e. both buyers and seller need to prove there ID, not only the sellers.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Just thought I'd add that the item I was bidding on was just over $1000 in value so maybe there is a limit value where an ID check is needed for the buyer. I've bought several sub $100 items where this hasn't happened. And yes it's a good idea doing ID checks for high value items but some buyers just don't like that and will drop out of the bidding/buying and give up like that customer of mine did.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

It's not an ID check, though?

An ID check is "let me see your ID that shows name, address, DOB and has a photo". This is "let me make sure you're the account holder by sending an authentication code to the phone number you already gave us". In other words, eBay don't get any new info about the account holder. It'd be pretty annoying if it happened during the last few seconds of an auction, but. 

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Darn, beat me to it Digi.....................

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I expect the main reason they are doing this now is due to the fact credit card info can be stored on file with eBay for fast checkout, so rather than a protection measure for sellers, it's likely more a protection measure for buyers, with the protection it may afford a seller a not-unwelcome side effect.  ๐Ÿ˜…

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Yes you are correct mate. I suppose they are just making sure someone isn't using a shared computer under someone else's user name on a high value item. ๐Ÿ‘

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply