Won't send photos of damaged item

Sold an item. Buyer claims it arrived damaged but will not send photos of item as says cannot attach to message & has asked for my email address (which I obviously cannot send). Do I just cut  my losses and refund, I don't know if its true or not (item is damaged) - have sent this item before several times without issue. Guessing I am going to wear the loss as its the buyers word against mine.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Won't send photos of damaged item

It does sometimes happen that an attachment option doesn't appear if starting a fresh message but will work if replying to a message.

Or if the buyer paid via PayPal, your email addy is in their emailed PayPal receipt.

image host
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

If the buyer paid with Paypal ask them to look at their Paypal receipt email (or Paypal history for the transaction) and your email address will be where the money went. If the attachment is the issue that will give them another option.

Edit: Kopes...we crossed posts! There's another way. Look at your PMs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

thanks guys never thought of that ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

image.jpeg

Heapsa, have a look in your Messages, top left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

You can send your email address, send it to their personal email address which you have for 45 days after the sale on your sales record, rather than through the eBay messaging system, which you can not do.

Not sure why sellers want a photo of the damaged item.

If the buyer says its damaged, it is damaged, best to just take it back and move on.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@yeoldecoinco wrote:

Not sure why sellers want a photo of the damaged item.

If the buyer says its damaged, it is damaged, best to just take it back and move on.

What universe are you living in?

It is the oldest trick in the book to say an item is damaged and demand a refund.

The claims often disappear when the seller asks for proof in the form of a photo.

With the new MBG the seller would be expected to pay the return postage....why would they do that if there is really nithing wrong with the item?

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Try not to insult me, otherwise I might just insult you back.

In my experience, which is of nearly 20 years of online selling and slightly more than yours, it is usually the case.

Asking for photos generally annoys people.

If they say it is damaged and you ask for a photo, what are you saying? That they are a liar?

If they want to return it, they will, unless you don't have a return policy, in which case they might just get to keep it for nothing.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

as a buyer if i recieved an item that was damaged i would photograph it as soon as id opened the package.

contact the seller alerting them to the problem including the photo or photos.

i did this just a few weeks ago, the item was new, sealed in original packing. seller promptly replied, sent me a replacement part.

great service, no arguments.

as a seller i'd expect photo evidence and if i recieved a complaint without a photo i'd be asking for a photo.

nothing to be annoyed about in a damaged item case from requesting a photo.

its a very common area of scamming that i'm sure 99% of buyers and sellers know about.

its not about trust or calling anyone liars. its about evidence, thats all.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

proof of damage would be better as anyone can say item was damaged when in fact it was not, 

also why not ask for the item to be returned

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply