You won't believe this....

I received a defect for an item which was returned 'without seller resolution'. I contacted Ebay about this explaining that I was currently disputing this matter with Paypal. The reason being that the buyer returned the item to a different address to the once I specified for the return. Hence because I haven't received the item back, I hadn't authorised the refund. Paypal did the refund themself and then Ebay issued the defect for 'non seller resolution'.

So, I contaced Ebay about this. After several extremely frustrating copy and paste replies from them, I received an email stating:

"If the tracking shows deliverey within 30 kilometres radius then we consider that as successfully delivery"

I replied saying how utterly ridiculous this was and asked them to clarify this. Again, they responded saying that as long as the item was returned to an address that is within 30km of the specified delivery address, Ebay consider this item as being successfully returned.

Am I not the only one who finds this to be utterly absurd??

This defect is going to cause my seller performance level to drop from Top Rated to just fall under the level for 'Below Standard'. I feel that there is nothing I can do though. Any suggestions??

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: You won't believe this....

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

the buyer did send it back. but sent it to the wrong address that is what the OP is saying. 

I understood exactly what the OP said.

The buyer sent it somewhere, but did not send it back to the seller. Hence my comment "At this point in time the issue isn't whether or not the item was delivered, but that the buyer didn't actually send it back to you at all." 

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

I live near Sydney Airport.....by ebay's logic it would be acceptable for a seller to deliver something to Liverpool....another city but within 30klms of my actual address?

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

you obviously didn't understand
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
you obviously didn't understand

Of course I did. 

You just don't recognise that my response to it is a semantic argument.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Omfg OP. I'm sorry you've copped this, but I laughed for a full 2-3 minutes after reading that.

They cannot be serious. I'd really like you to copy your post to 'The Checkout' (show on ABC, they adore this stuff)

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/tipoffs/

Truly, please do it, this is beyond nonsense.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

elusive ed said-

Omfg OP. I'm sorry you've copped this, but I laughed for a full 2-3 minutes after reading that.

They cannot be serious. I'd really like you to copy your post to 'The Checkout' (show on ABC, they adore this stuff)

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/tipoffs/

Truly, please do it, this is beyond nonsense.

----------------------------

You know what Nirv, I would give this a try.

If it isn't taken up, next option is to send a short sharp report to your state newspaper.

I'm pretty sure the reporters would be onto it.

You are lucky because you actually have email evidence of what was said.

I think a lot of the time we feel powerless to make any change but sometimes we can. Many years back, I copped a parking fine in a road near a hospital. I parked there as the hospital had building going on and there was not much parkling available at the time. I parked in a road where there was no sign to warn no parking. I complained to police (pretty silly i know) and they told me they were fed up with it too and could I complain to the newspaper. I did.

Not only did it get into the paper but the issue ended up on the TV news report, with reporters out there actually filming the street & other cars with tickets and asking how would they know why they were fined? (The council told me they could not afford signs for individual streets).

I did not get off the fine.

But.... signage was changed, the hospital put up big warning signs in the foyer. The hospital put in a shuttle service from a carpark to the hospital.

Ebay is no different to hospitals/councils etc. They all hate bad publicity like the plague, especially if it shows them up to be a bit silly.

Go for it.

Oh and if the ebay conditions say an item has to be returned to you, then returning it to another address is not fulfilling the conditions. Near enough isn't good enough.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Nirv...

Just thinking about your case as explained here....

The buyer sent the return item to an incorrect address.

Is it possible that this was a deliberate act on behalf of the buyer? ie the person at the incorrect address is known to the buyer.

That way they would be playing a scam game knowing that when the return tracking shows delivered they will get their refund, but since the person is known to them they get to keep the item as well. ie get it back from the incorrect address.

If you mention this suspicion in the ACORN report it will be pretty easy for the police to determine this link between the buyer and the incorrect address.

Just a thouight...

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

And just on that here's another scenario, if this is what Paypal say is acceptable, there is nothing to stop a buyer returning an empty satchel/envelope to an incorrect address.
Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

There have already been a number of threads on these boards about exactly this scenario where a buyer is instructed to return an item for a refund and they simply return a tracked parcel with nothing in it.

Then ebay/paypal will refund because the tracking says delivered.

Very little the seller can do to protect themselves against this kinda scam.

Arguing with ebay/paypal gets you nowhere. They will simply go with the tracking

The only thing I can see to do in such a case would be to lodge a formal case with The ACORN and hopefully the federal police would investigate the buyer for fraud.

If ever we are in a position to accept a tracked return I would make sure I had another person present when I opened the package. Even video it being opened with the other person being in the video. Then if it was empty they can sign a sworn stat dec saying it was empty when opened. This then is taken as legal fact especially if you have accompanying video evidence.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member
Report Paypal to the FOS using the link here:-

https://forms.fos.org.au/onlinedispute

Report ebay to Acorn here:-

https://report.acorn.gov.au/

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply