any advice on return?

i really dont know what ebay thinks its doing by encouraging buyers to not have to bother reading listings or be responsible at all for what they are purchasing?

A buyer has bought a speaker dock and hasnt bothered to read the listing properly and make sure her tablet is compatible (321700025527).

I thought i had it pretty clearly described 4 or 5 times throughout the listing which models were compatible.

I honestly try my best to describe items as accurately as possible.

The listing says its compatible with samsung galaxy tab 10.1, 8.9 & galaxy tab2 10.1.

It also describes the connectivity as a 30 pin connector.

This buyer has a much newer model samsung galaxy 4 with a 4 pin connection and simply didnt read the listing properly.

It seems after finally reading it they then used the 30 pin c

onnector in their favour in the return process wrongly asserting that i claimed it had a 30 pin adapter in the listing.

Connectivity in the listing describes the connections on the dock, it doesnt imply an adapter for 4 pin or 30 models is included.

So regardless of the description they have now somehow assumed it included an adapter to fit her 4 pin connector.

Ebay has told me they have found in the buyers favour and now i have to also pay for return postage to receive a 2nd hand item back with all the retail pacxkaging gone.

Is there a number anyone can give me to call ebay and complain?

Is it even worth trying?

Thanks in advance for any advice?

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: any advice on return?

i just got a meassge from the buyer telling me what a terrible seller i am.

They are now saying they specifically went and bought another samsung galaxy tab 2 tablet to fit the speaker dock they wanted to return but they now claim the speaker dock has a problem. The audio is hissy.

They say they want to return it for a replacement?

i just dont know.

Of course with electrical items it is always possible there is a fault but i dont know what this buyer is upto?

I've sold over 50 of these sets and havent had a single issue.so i dont know.

Why would they initiate a return on the grounds of not as described and rush out and buy another tablet before its resolved?

I suppose i have no choice but to accept a return now?

All i can really say is to please ensure you have checked everything as if i get the dock back but find no fault the same set will have to be returned to you.

Dang, its a large item that cost $33 odd to post.

Oh well, it looks like i'll have to bite the bullet with this one.

I'm thinking this buyer is going to be difficult no matter what so it may well be better to just refund them the $100 and cut my losses.

Its almost $70 for the return post and to resend a replacement and that doeant guarentee an end to the transaction.

I'd do the $35 in return postage and be left with a 2nd hand item but it may well be the easiest way out in the long run?

What would you guys do?

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

In the same sort of situation ourselves at the moment some buyers just get cold feet and no matter what you do to reticify the situation wont change thier mind, doubt they purchased a older model Samsung tablet just to suit your product, and the end of the day just accept the return, what else can you do, spend hours appealing to Ebay to get nowhere, or just accept the return, as you said 50 sold no problems, one bad apple lots of drama, then just cut your losses list the returned item at a special price ie missing orignal packing ect, and just move on, we all get customers like this now and again unfortunately need to build a bridge and get over it, unfortunately Ebay now favours buyers, they can do no wrong and us sellers have to copeit on the chin.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Ebay closed the first dispute but you were going to appeal it.   Go ahead and appeal it on the grounds that the buyer did not read the listing and assumed that there was an adaptor included.  All the evidence is there in dispute to back up what you are saying...you just need to get ebay to read the original listing.

If you win the appeal all is good....you will get your money back and will not have to pay the return postage.

The fact that the buyer has a new complaint is immaterial....they have been refunded already and paypal/ebay is unlikely to take that money back from them.   Your money will come from paypal/ebay.

And the buyer cannot open another dispute for the same item, especially if they have the money back already.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

lyndal, ebay hasnt closed the first dispute yet.

I was given 5 days to organise return, if i do it in that time i wont be held at fault or so the email basically said.

I got the impression they mean the buyer will get refunded and i will lose the item as well.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

OK, sorry I misread your OP.

I still think you need to ring ebay rather than just refund.

Point out all the tings you have posted here to prove that the buyer does not deserve a refund.

Has the buyer put the last information into the dispute....the part about it not working anyway?   How can they know it is not working if it is not the right connection anyway??

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

hi,  yes just refund  the lot and the return postage and move on.  you can't win with Ebay,  nobody there listens.   making the seller pay return postage is not consumer standard practise  and Ebay should not have this policy,  it could even be illegal.   I have been caught out by dishonest buyers, ( I have another selling site),  who for some reasons, often after a considerable time lapse no longer want the item and Ebay simply always agrees that they can return it and return it at my expense.  Also it should never never ever be the case that Ebay refunds the buyer without the item having been safely returned.  these Ebay policies encourage scammers and dishonest buying practises.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

they havent added the new info to the dispute.

They sent it via an ebay message.

The claim is they went and bought a galaxy tab2 specifically to match the speaker dock.

They say they can provide a pic of the receipt if needed.

I feel like fighting it but fear it will cost me more in the long run.

Also, if the item is truly faulty, im happy to exchange it.

Its just im relying on the word of a buyer that has been a bit sus so far.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply