buyer lies about dress being damaged and wants full refund

Hi guys

Sold a dress at the begining of Oct, which was delivered on 10th.

Then on the 25th, buyer opened a return request, saying the dress was ripped upon arrival, demanding either full refund or a new replacement, alone with few pictures of the ripped dress.

I know she's trying to scam me because I carefully inspected the dress before dispatch, it was totally fine.

Firstly she said " When the dress arrived I saw a big rip on it".

I immediately pointed out the contradiction, because she received this dress on 10th, return request was opened on 25th; you don't wait for 15 days to open a return request for an item with such obvious damage.

She then changed her story: "oh I didn't inspect the dress until 21st when I gave it to my daughter".

Riiiiiiight.

What worries me is the pictures she sent, the dress is in fact ripped now, which she claims to be "poor workmanship".

But, you can tell from those rough edges, the fabric was clearly torn; no "poor workmanship" can produce a rip like that.

Since the dress is clearly damaged now, I am not really sure how this will play out.

Should I contact ebay now and explain what's going on here, or should I wait after buyer esclates the case?

Not sure if I can convenice ebay's customer support to stand on my side.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: buyer lies about dress being damaged and wants full refund

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Welcome to the eBay wardrobing department! Buyer buys dress for an event. Buyer attends event. Buyer no longer has a need for dress as they'll only ever wear the same thing once. Buyer claims not as described. Some buyers will go so far as to damage it to get their money back.

Unfortunately, in most cases there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. As soon as the buyer escalates the case, eBay will immediately close it in their favour. These buyers then go along and target a new seller to buy next weekends outfit from, then do the same thing. They end up with all these nice clothes to impress their friends and never pay a cent for them.

Make sure you keep all messages between you. I still think it's strange that it wasn't checked until the 21st when she gave it to her daughter, but still did nothing about it until the 25th. I would RING eBay, or get them to call you back, and get them to have a look at the messages between you that show inconsistencies with her story. DO NOT agree to have eBay step in and help while on the phone because it will instantly close in the buyers favour.

Sadly, with the eBay MBG, eBay have made it a haven for wardrobers and the buyers know it.

There are a range of measures a seller can do that may help to prevent this type of claim.   (and may discourage scammers from purchasing in the first place)

Photos, photos, photos of actual garment, from all angles !!!  Even though I don't include in listing, I have photos of garments turned inside out to show lining.

Whilst I have not had claim for not as described for some time,  I loathe scammers and have in the past successfully defended quite a few scamming disputes.  

Also important to have photos and mention in description any flaw no matter how tiny.   

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I totally agree with your advice 100%. Even though I don't sell clothing, I have suggested numerous time to new (and not so new) clothing sellers to photograph absolutely everything about the garment, even hems, even if all the photos aren't used in the listing. Often it is met with eye rolling and basically "I don't have time for that". As the advice is often given after someone has tried to scam them, I'm surprised I am met with such negative reactions. Maybe that's why you have very few scammers compared to so many others, because you already do that.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

just how much money are we talking about here?

looking at your selling feedback you selling pretty cheap dresses, your bound to get a few refund cases.

maybe you should factor in those unhappy customers in your prices, not just start yelling lier!

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Im guessing  that it was one of the dresses you sold from china?  for $0.99 ?
yeah, its only a guess.....  at best! Man Frustrated

What makes you think the buyers story is fake?  I myself have made ebay purchases and not opened them as they were for another person.

Are you able to upload the pic here with the rip in it? 
Lets us have a look at the *condition* of the dress as claimed by the buyer?

Folk are just so sceptical now!  sheesh......

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

This happened to another seller so she did this.....

opened Facebook....

searched er the buyers name......

lo and behold.... Lots of pictures of the buyer wearing the dress!!

its worth a try but will only work if they have a public profile

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

If they're of the younger generation their profile will be public. They want the world to be able to see all the duck face selfies that they take in the bathroom mirror. They love it when complete strangers comment "you're so hot", which is met with a "awww thanks hun".

It's only us oldies that like our privacy. 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

The Facebook idea is a good one, I remember reading that post.

there is also the option that Bloomingdales started using. Dresses over $150 have a black tag in an easy to see position, the item can be taken home, tried on, but once the tag is removed there are no refunds..... Prevents the buy, wear, return scams!  If you are a high volume seller with multiple suspected returns it could be worth it. Not sure of the cost involved.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-09-26/return-fraud-clothing-and-electronics-retailers-fi...

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Haha oh you make me laugh Tippy!

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply