buyer returned a damaged different graphic card

Hi,

I sold a sencond hand computer graphic card, it was fully working. 

Though I listed it as second hand and no returns, the buyer got it and after around 10 days, the buyer opened return case saying 

the card is damaged/totally dead. 

Not sure what's happening but I guess on eBay the only option for me is accepting the return and pay the return postage. 

However today I got the card back and I found that, though the returned one is the same model, it is not the same one I sent as I did a mark on the back of it before sending out (also photo it and video it).

The returned one is totally dead.

So what's happening, do people now abuse eBay buyer protection like this now?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: buyer returned a damaged different graphic card

TNT/FedEx is on fire at the moment due to ransomware attack,
TNT is completely down globally at the moment since the end of June.
FedEx and Australia Post are also affected by the peta* virus.

At about 7th July, TNT gave up on recovering/save their systems and handed all backlog packages to FedEx. This huge amount of backlog packages created a big backlog to FedEx, some of the packages we sent through TNT/FedEx at the end of June, were supposed to be delivered in a week but until now, some still haven't been delivered yet.

One Buyer felt angry due to this slow shipping and gave us negative feedback. No, buyer will not listen to explain or accept some partial refund.

One buyer felt paid too much shipping (turned out to be importing tax ) and gave us negative feedback. And demanded $200 USD as refund.

Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

The buyer escalated the return request immediately after I questioned him why the item returned is different. Thus I don't have any chance to say something in the return case. Did send message to eBay about discussing the case. But eBay decided in buyer's favor and took $510 , without asking anything or replying my message.
Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

The seller can try appealling.

But perhaps has realised it was he that made an error.

Just figured out how to use the Quote feature here.

Yes eBay don't give me chance to say anything or provide anything and the buyer won. 

However, I now have got a reply from eBay support on twitter and am going through the appealling process.

Message sent via contact eBay still have no response. 

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

Sorry I know I'm late to the party, but I was just looking at both threads and remember reading a fair bit about using secret marks and dust to identify whether the returned part was the same, but don't think I read anything about whether the serial numbers of the item that was sent and the item that was returned matched up?

I could be mistaken, but most electronic/computer components typically have a unique identifying serial number from the assembly line???

No need for secret pen marks if the item has its own unique serial.  

For me this stresses the importance of including the serial number both in the item description and also making sure it's clearly visible in the listing pictures. In cases where a buyer may be contemplating a switcharoo I think having the serial number clearly presented in the listing would act as a big deterrant (not saying this is what the buyer was up to in this case).    

Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

@many*splendid*things wrote:

Sorry I know I'm late to the party, but I was just looking at both threads and remember reading a fair bit about using secret marks and dust to identify whether the returned part was the same, but don't think I read anything about whether the serial numbers of the item that was sent and the item that was returned matched up?

I could be mistaken, but most electronic/computer components typically have a unique identifying serial number from the assembly line???

No need for secret pen marks if the item has its own unique serial.  

For me this stresses the importance of including the serial number both in the item description and also making sure it's clearly visible in the listing pictures. In cases where a buyer may be contemplating a switcharoo I think having the serial number clearly presented in the listing would act as a big deterrant (not saying this is what the buyer was up to in this case).    

There's model no. product no. sku etc, but no serial no. unfurtunately. 

I would never sell second hand computer hardware/electronic stuff on eBay anymore, experience from this case, eBay didn't even ask me any question before decideing the case in the buyer's favor. Though I'd already told them I've photo/video proof. 

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

EBay always side with the buyer because buyers can do no wrong. Ebay are encouraging shoplifting. They don't care what proof you have. The buyer has said there's a problem and there's an end to it. We know buyers are liars (generalising) to get what they want and there's nothing we can do about it. Don't be at all surprised if that buyer does it to other sellers too. They have a bad habit of doing that when they learn how easy it is to get something for free.

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

Bummer about the lack of a serial number (most small electronic items like cameras have one - maybe components are in a different category).

$500 really is a lot to lose if you're certain the item was switched for a faulty one. 

Definitely pursue this if you're "100 percent" sure you've been ripped off - it's online fraud and even if no action is taken the details should be on file somewhere. Maybe one of the more experienced members can post the correct agency to contact re. online fraud (I thought I saw a link earlier in this thread but didn't see it when I skimmed over it just now).

I really think some of you folks who've had this type of thing happen should link up and contact one of the current affairs shows- it'd be right up their alley to do an expose if, as many seem to be saying, this sort of thing is rife on eBay.

PS. Just a side note regarding secret marks, occasionally I've received electronic items which have arrived in a such a grubby looking state the first thing I've done is given them a good wipe over to get rid of dust and grime. I suppose it might be possible to inadvertently wipe off invisible marker, but any identifying scratches etc are another story. Maybe take a close look at your pictures to check for any marks other than your pen mark, or the layout of any circuitry which might be positioned in a certain way).

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

Pity about the lack of a serial number (most small electronic items like cameras have one - maybe components are in a different category).

$500 really is a lot to lose if you're certain the item was switched for a faulty one.

Definitely pursue this if you're "100 percent" sure you've been ripped off - it's online fraud and even if no action is taken the details should be on file somewhere. Maybe one of the more experienced members can post the correct agency to contact re. online fraud (I thought I saw a link earlier in this thread but didn't see it when I skimmed over it just now).

I really think some of you folks who've had this type of thing happen should link up and contact one of the current affairs shows- it'd be right up their alley to do an expose if, as many seem to be saying, this sort of thing is rife.

PS. Just a side note regarding secret marks, occasionally I've received electronic items which have arrived in a such a grubby looking state the first thing I've done is given them a good wipe over to get rid of dust and grime. I suppose it might be possible to inadvertently to wipe off invisible marker, but any identifying scratches etc are another story. Maybe take a close look at your pictures to check for any marks other than your pen mark, or the layout of any circuitry which might be positioned in a certain way).
Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

The agency to report online fraud to is The ACORN:

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

This is administerd by the Australian Federal Police.

A common way to invisibly mark items is to use a UV sensitive pen. Only shows up under a black light.

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply