eBay Satchel + lodging over counter <> Seller Protection

Sold an item. Paid for with PayPal. Used an eBay satchel. Printed label via eBay. Lodged over the counter at post office. Receipt received. Item not delivered. Tracking shows "In Transit". Query lodged. Aus Post can't find it.

Item not received claim resolved in favour of the buyer. Money deducted from our PayPal account.

"Seller Protection" - caveat emptor.

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: eBay Satchel + lodging over counter <> Seller Protection

@mpemberley wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

What I would rather is that PayPal uphold their policies consistently so that I do not have to fight them if they get them wrong, but I sure as heck will fight them if they get them wrong.

I am fully aware PayPal do not always get their own policies right when it comes to a dispute, and I am fully aware that they often issue a "discretionary" refund when they've been caught out getting it wrong.

On the above we can agree.

Perhaps we can also agree on the following:

Over the counter Australia Post receipt showing postcode & date = bullet-proof Seller Protection.

Any other single official courier document showing Buyer address & date & acceptance = bullet-proof Seller Protection.

All other methods: inconsistent.

Not if it's the wrong postcode on your receipt ie... an AP employee transposes two numbers as they enter the

postcode....

Just like the scan system depends on an AP employee to scan items upon delivery to prove postage and not leave the

last scan at the delivery centre your "bullet proof" system requires correct protocol from an AP employee

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 51 of 61
Latest reply

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

How about ebays "answer" in the FAQ in the seller centre

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/postage-and-shipping/buy-print-postage

12. How does PayPal Seller Protection work with Australia Post postage labels?

Label printing helps you meet some of the requirements for PayPal Seller Protection (tracking information for example).

Provided you meet the other basic requirements of PayPal Seller Protection, you'll be covered.

The other basic requirements required must have eluded ebay when they wrote the FAQ

Spoiler
What a shemozzle to design a postal system that is not automatically seller protection compliant

That could also because you can alter the address, or compromise seller protection by a range of other independent actions, though.

They couldn't really guarantee creating an eBay label will qualify for Seller Protection because it's not an automatic entitlement, and other things can mean a transaction wouldn't qualify (eg item sold is ineligible, buyer paid as a guest, items from separate payments were combined etc).

Message 52 of 61
Latest reply

Given that ebay developed the postage label system and owns paypal I opine that detailed information on how to

meet paypals seller protection policy criteria using an ebay postage label should have been included in the FAQ on

their new product......

How about you??

I asked the question of ebay yesterday in a detailed email............. I explained how I provided paypal with the

documentation that met seller protection criteria if I used an Australia post receipt....

and

I copied and pasted their FAQ No 12 from the ebay postage label link and  asked for specific instruction pertaining to

where exactly I could get the other basic documentation that met PP SPP other basic requirements when I used an

ebay postage label as decribed in their FAQ answer.....

surprisingly I have no answer yet.

Lucky I copied it.......... I just sent help exactly the same email...... and I will again tomorrow if I need to

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 53 of 61
Latest reply

and as far as I a m concerned the fix is pretty simple.

After the 5 days when you can print a receipt the receipt should include the buyers name and address that was printed on the label, the date the label was printed and the cost.

Given that it is an AP receipt (showing acceptance) then all criteria for SPP have been met.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 54 of 61
Latest reply

@viewmont1071 wrote:

Given that ebay developed the postage label system and owns paypal I opine that detailed information on how to

meet paypals seller protection policy criteria using an ebay postage label should have been included in the FAQ on

their new product......

How about you??

I fully agree - they've probably just decided to take the easy way out by linking to PayPal's policies rather than listing them and keeping them updated with any changes. 

Personally, I can't see any reason why the receipt via eBay couldn't contain all of the relevant information required for SP, so agree on that also.

Message 55 of 61
Latest reply

Message 56 of 61
Latest reply

I am afraid the OP will not learn much from this non-existant post, particularly as they have not posted on the boards for over 2 years.

Pleae do not drag up old threads unless you can add anything meaningful to them.

Message 57 of 61
Latest reply

Sorry, I was only reading this and was not supposed to add a blank comment. As you can see by the time I was probably have asleep and accidentally pressed some random button.

A very simple solution to this issue is that if you use eBay postage, simply print your postage label in duplicate, lodge your parcel over the counter, and retain your lodgement receipt. These would be the only documents you would need to submit to PayPal for proof of postage.
Message 58 of 61
Latest reply

Message 59 of 61
Latest reply

HUGE NOTE TO SELF

Check dates on threads before reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 60 of 61
Latest reply