eBay Should Implement a Policy for Lost in Transit

Hi everyone,

I personally think eBay should implement a policy regarding item lost in transit. We as sellers should not be held responsible for item lost in transit because our responsibility is to send the item off within a timely manner and if the item is lost in transit that is way out of our control.

Also eBay should implement a policy that if the buyer doesn't use any shipping method with tracking code the seller is not liable for any item lost in transit.

However if they selected a shipping method with tracking code and the item is lost in transit then the seller can help the buyer try to recover the goods or get compensation for the buyer.

1688store
Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: eBay Should Implement a Policy for Lost in Transit

This is why I only sell items worth posting in pre-paid satchels and I also lodge them over the counter and get a receipt. If you post them in a red box you have no proof of postage. The receipt protects you, the buyer and makes Australia Post responsible (which is who really should be!). I find it also saves charging for signature on delivery, which if you charge for it puts buyers off with higher postage costs (I do add this for items of extra value for insurance coverage as well).

Message 61 of 65
Latest reply

I post about half my sales as large letters. In 9 years I've had 3 (I think; less than 5 anyway) INR claims. That's on over 4000 sales. About 2000 letters.

I suppose it depends on your market, but mine seems to be honest. Either that or there are less online shoplifters around than these boards would indicate. Given that people generally only come here when they have a problem, I suspect option b.

Message 62 of 65
Latest reply

@1688storewrote:

As a seller you should never be negative to yourself and other sellers. Instead you should be thinking positive about how you can sell efficiently and worry less about how others sell.

Everyone else has been trying to tell you how to sell more efficiently so that you can feel more positive about things, but you're being negative about it and refusing to help yourself.  You want ebay to make a blanket rule that protects you while leaving all buyers vulnerable.  You're also being contradictory and one moment you're talking about untracked letters, the next thing it's tracked ones that go missing by the hundreds.

Yes, people do want the cheapest item for some things but if adding a few cents to the price for self-insurance makes a product unviable, and if it's unviable if a high number have to be refunded, then it's ... unviable.  Not everything is suitable for selling online, end of story.

And why is it okay to be negative to buyers and say they're all thieves but never say anything negative about other sellers?  I'd rather be realistic about both sellers AND buyers.  Personally, I've had more problems with dodgy/incompetent sellers than I've ever had with buyers.  I'm not talking about Chinese sellers either.

Message 63 of 65
Latest reply

Thanks for your advice. I got a customer actually paid for Express Post Parcel Service because they needed the item urgently such as balloon sticks for a party.

@countessalmirenawrote:

@1688store

Option 1: sell items that are low-cost and which cost as little as possible to send.

Hazards

• Most people (9,999 out of 10,000 - at the very most) will not choose your expensive tracked (express post or courier) option.
  • Some buyers will falsely claim that the untracked sticker/P-plate/etc did not arrive.
  • Some untracked enveloped will genuinely go missing in transit.
  • Sometimes you'll think you've sent off an envelope, but will actually have misplaced it or forgotten it.
  • etc

(These are just a very few of the hazards. Be honest and thorough in writing down every hazard, even if it's not a very likely hazard. You can't do a proper risk assessment unless you list all the possible hazards.)

Risks

(Do a risk matrix as part of your risk assessment once you've identified the risks.)

Work out how best to control the risk. Can you eliminate the hazard itself? Can you substitute something for the hazard? Is there an engineering control you can put in place? Perhaps there is a policy or guideline or administrative change you can make in your own procedures/workplace? Are there other protections you can put in place?

Document the process. (This must be thorough; include your risk matrix,  your hazard identification, your checklists, your potential solutions, start date and end date of any changes, etc.)

Monitor the situation and review it. If your changes/controls have been effective, great. If they have not, begin again; you may have to re-think your approach to risk control.

Option 2: sell items that are low-cost but use tracked postage of some sort.

Once you have determined what price gives you an acceptable profit margin but still allows you to send by tracked postage, that price will be your starting point. Go through the steps here just as before - identifying hazards, identifying risks, assessing risks, etc., etc.

The obvious benefit is that if you're sending by tracked postage, the risk of buyers saying that their item didn't arrive will fall. That's one hazard whose likelihood of occurring you can immediately reduce. (100% of your items via tracked method means your item price must cover tracked postage method if you're sending with free postage; alternatively, send with, say, $4 p&p so that your item price is covering PART of the tracked postage method and the buyer is paying e.g., $4. Adjust as required.)

Option 3: sell items that are higher-priced ...

etc. (You know the drill. Hazards, risk identification, risk assment,...)

I don't think that more-or-less speciously offering a tracked postage method at a price that is likely to discourage buyers is your best way forward. You may have to play with the numbers a bit; use MS Excel or something similar to test out what is going to work for you. What profit margin will you need? What are your ongoing costs? What are the costs associated with your risks? What if you charge [insert amount] for this sort of postage or that sort of postage?

Tackle it with a positive and sincere approach, and you will be half-way there. The rest is just number-juggling, and you can manage this. Don't forget that you are the one with the inside knowledge of how your business works - your wholesale prices, your competition, your market, and so on. Armed with that knowledge, you have the tools to turn this around to your advantage.

1688store
Message 64 of 65
Latest reply

My head hurts.....

Spoiler
killing self icon
Spoiler
Related image
Spoiler
Related image
Spoiler