eBay Should Implement a Policy for Lost in Transit

Hi everyone,

I personally think eBay should implement a policy regarding item lost in transit. We as sellers should not be held responsible for item lost in transit because our responsibility is to send the item off within a timely manner and if the item is lost in transit that is way out of our control.

Also eBay should implement a policy that if the buyer doesn't use any shipping method with tracking code the seller is not liable for any item lost in transit.

However if they selected a shipping method with tracking code and the item is lost in transit then the seller can help the buyer try to recover the goods or get compensation for the buyer.

1688store
Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

imastawka
Honored Contributor

@1688storewrote:

Hi everyone,

I personally think eBay should implement a policy regarding item lost in transit. We as sellers should not be held responsible for item lost in transit because our responsibility is to send the item off within a timely manner and if the item is lost in transit that is way out of our control.

Also eBay should implement a policy that if the buyer doesn't use any shipping method with tracking code the seller is not liable for any item lost in transit.

So, if a seller uses an envelope/large envelope then all they have to say is they posted it - and keep the buyer's money - and the goods

However if they selected a shipping method with tracking code and the item is lost in transit then the seller can help the buyer try to recover the goods or get compensation for the buyer.

It's called opening an INR case

Did I understand you correctly?

Message 2 of 65
Latest reply

I meant if the buyer open an item not recieved case against the seller and if the buyer win the case the seller is making a loss. In this case if the seller send item by regular letter service then there is no tracking code and carriers will not offer the seller for any compensation.

The only evidence for proof of delivery on eBay INR cases is the tracking code.

@imastawkawrote:

@1688storewrote:

Hi everyone,

So, if a seller uses an envelope/large envelope then all they have to say is they posted it - and keep the buyer's money - and the goods

@imastawkawrote:

@1688storewrote:

Hi everyone,

1688store
Message 3 of 65
Latest reply

Sellers of items sent as letters should self insure for loss.  It's not that hard.

And ebay has a policy for lost items - the INR, so I fail to understand what you mean

Message 4 of 65
Latest reply

eBay does not have any policy for items lost in transit. If buyer opened an INR case and the seller will lose the case if the seller can't show the tracking code.

1688store
Message 5 of 65
Latest reply

That's why most sellers only send with tracking or signature on delivery.

Tracking or sig is for seller protection.

I noticed you sell with free postage, perhaps drop the item price by a dollar or two and send with sig $4.95 as postage.

image host
Message 6 of 65
Latest reply

wrote:

I meant if the buyer open an item not recieved case against the seller and if the buyer win the case the seller is making a loss. In this case if the seller send item by regular letter service then there is no tracking code and carriers will not offer the seller for any compensation.

The only evidence for proof of delivery on eBay INR cases is the tracking code.

the only items that should be sent by untracked means are low cost items.  Sellers can “self-insure*” against claims by adding 10 cents to their postage/handling charges on every item they sell and think of it as the recompense for the occasional INR claim.

Sellers should be charging for tracked shipping on higher cost items.  After all, it is the buyer that then pays for the seller protection.

Smart sellers know this, those that don’t will fall by the wayside.

*the first poster I recall posting this advice is phorum_junkie*.

Message 7 of 65
Latest reply

There is no such thing as self insure. Only licensed insurance providers can offer insurance based on your conditions.

1688store
Message 8 of 65
Latest reply

As said, eBay do have policies in place.

What you are after is protection from INRs based solely on your word and the fact you won't self-insure or send tracked.

There is an option.

There's a mob around that will allow you to send your stock to them. They determine the selling price and the shipping method and indemnify the 'seller' against non-delivery (by posting themselves). They then remit any amount left over, after charges, to the 'seller'.

Simple. Although I suspect the return would be substantially less than the profits from selling the items yourself, even after factoring in the odd INR.

Message 9 of 65
Latest reply

@1688storewrote:

There is no such thing as self insure. Only licensed insurance providers can offer insurance based on your conditions.

really????? Are you going to take every word posted literally?  Why do you think I put it in quotation marks?  It was a figure of speech.

March

Message 10 of 65
Latest reply