Ebay gives money to buyer even though tracking shows delivered. and signed for

This is an Update on my posting made here way on Dec 1, 2017. https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/ebay-refunds-buyer-even-through-item-shows-delivered-and-si...

Ebay finally decided to give me my money as I mentioned in that old thread. So happy ending, right? Nope, no such luck.

Fast forward 4 months from transaction date, No money has been refunded to me. I have talked to a dozen reps, each time being told that the money is on its way, I will get it in 5-7 business days, its batch refunds so just wait, Paypal is about to do it, etc etc. Still nothing.

Its $180 in limbo, and I think ebay has absolutely no intention of giving me anything. Poor service reps are just the guinea pigs sitting there trying to defend their bosses.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I can't really say much except to urge you not to give up, which is what they're probably counting on. 

Normally I'd suggest posting publicly on their AU Facebook page, but they recently decided not to provide customer service via FB anymore, so all you will get there is a link to the site's help section. 😞  Still, if you can post a screenshot with dates, showing every time it's been promised, maybe on Twitter if you're active there, it might get some traction. (I suspect they want to deal with things privately as much as possible, but they can't force people to keep complaints private). 

I guess I would try to find and use every possible advantage I could, there should be a higher authority you can report this to, you could even try the FOS route with PayPal, as the original debit wasn't authorised and has not been returned. Media is never a bad idea, either - I know Ecommercebytes reaches out to eBay for comment etc if they publish a story, but something with a wider audience would probably work even better. 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@asporty

What an infuriating situation to be in!

Well... as you have the promise in writing, you have a great deal of leverage to ensure that the promised refund is issued. You could try contacting eBay via the Call Me Back option, telling them (and offering to show) of the promise to refund, state that as it is well past the promised time you now kindly request that the promised refund is issued immediately, and mention that your only recourse in the face of any further delay would be to contact the Financial Ombudsman and lodge a dispute. Mention that you are aware that you will of course have to name PayPal as the financial services provider. PayPal would presumably then come after eBay for the costs incurred plus the refund amount.

You can also contact PayPal directly, briefly explain the situation, state that you are not prepared to wait given the time that's elapsed thus far, and further explain that you will be lodging a dispute with the Financial Ombudsman within the next x minutes. If they can refund you immediately, you will be more than happy to take the matter no further.

If you do have to go to the lengths of actually lodging a dispute, don't hesitate. You will indeed have to name PayPal when lodging, because PayPal is a member of the FOS.

(If I had a motto about making threats to seek redress, it would be "Only ever threaten what you are prepared to do, and give a deadline beyond which you positively will not wait.")

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@digital*ghost

SNAP!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@digital*ghostwrote:

there should be a higher authority you can report this to, you could even try the FOS route with PayPal, as the original debit wasn't authorised and has not been returned. Media is never a bad idea, either - I know Ecommercebytes reaches out to eBay for comment etc if they publish a story, but something with a wider audience would probably work even better. 

These were two avenues I was thinking off also. Paypal being one route, and media is another one.

I read in Guardian reporting on similar happenings in UK, and they claim their intervention saved the sellers. So if I know of a couple of other sellers who have been stung by ebay then we can possibly write to Guardian, SMH or another media outlet that may be interested.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply