eBay Valet

just saw this:

Get a Little Rich, Without a Lot Of Work

http://www.ebay.com.au/rpp/ebay-valet?_trkparms=clkid%3D818379436378667490

At a time when many sellers are having difficulty registering even a single sale they promote this.  I wonder if the provider of the Valet service gets extra exposure in search results?  My thoughts would be "Yes".

Spoiler
On another note, for a variety of reasons I will be selling more items on this ID next year.  As a result, I will be posting on the boards a lot less, probably not at all.  Unlike some, if I am not posting I will probably not read the boards.  Thanks for the ride, it's been interesting.  Sometimes fun, sometimes childish, never dull!
Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: eBay Valet

As I mentioned, selling through Fishpond is fraught.

If eBay spent a fraction of the time and cost they spend on these shonky deals {and big box sellers who return little to them for the exercise), this site would actually be a world leader, would work properly, and would have happy sellers and buyers who didn't have to jump through hoops to complete a simple transaction.

Message 11 of 35
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Just how many of your second hand items have a barcode? That is one of the requirements, I wonder how many people will fall for the blurb, not read the T&Cs and then after sending of a large quantity of second hand clothing have to pay to get it back because none of it has a barcode.

You did not read the T & C either PJ.....they will not sell clothing.Smiley Frustrated

From what I could see it is an expensive useless service.   I could not even find out what commission they charge.   By the time the seller pays to get the items to them, all selling costs, postage to the buyer and commission I doubt that there will be much left for the owner of the goods.

It look more to me like the original owner of the goods is just stocking a shop for someone else to make a profit.

Message 12 of 35
Latest reply

I think this part of the site that loads from the link says it all

valet.JPG

the easiest way to make a little cash . . . . . sure, you only get "a little" of the sale amount.  Not deceptive in any way.

Message 13 of 35
Latest reply

And as PJ has asked.....how many second hand goods have a barcode on them?

They are really just conning everyone.....they get all these goods that do not fit their criteria and which the owners do not want back due to high transport costs.  So they just stock another private little store on the side which no-one knows about.

Ebay has really hit a new low on this one....is it possible for them to go any lower?

Message 14 of 35
Latest reply

Spoiler
You will be missed. Hope you pop in now n again. Smiley Wink
image host
Message 15 of 35
Latest reply

I have two reactions...

Smiley Surprised

and Smiley Surprised

It does come across as a bit of a scam, even without the first-hand experience info posted here and elsewhere - I read the info and it's pretty much "send us your stuff, we might give you some money for it". 

How they can not have the percentage they take listed is beyond me, you're basically purchasing a service (by giving them a commission of sale price), but they don't state up front what the commission is? That'd be like advertising an item for sale and saying "we'll tell how much it is after you buy". Which would give them free reign to adjust the amount on a case-by-case basis - dodgy as. (Unless the commission is shown when you sign up and so forth, but even if so, still dubious that they won't say what it is in the advertising material. 

I'd think a trading assistant would be a better option by far for someone who is looking for a similar service. 

Spoiler
sigh

Sorry to see you won't be around so much (or at all) next year - I hope your sales go well, though. 🙂 
Message 16 of 35
Latest reply

Spoiler
See ya later slr - I never could work out the slr, is it acronym for single lens reflex or self loading rifle? perhaps a bit of both....
Message 17 of 35
Latest reply

Commission is 22% AFTER deducting outbound shipping cost and any inbound shipping costs (when you send the items to Fishpond). Plus they have the right to sell at whatever price they choose.

See Terms and conditions http://www.fishpond.com.au/page/ebay-valet-terms

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply

Spoiler
doesn't surprise me sly, after all, you were the one that almost insisted that I remove the "sir" from my ID and had trouble with percentages

Message 19 of 35
Latest reply

We pay Ebay Paypal now they want us to pay for a valet service what a joke..Then if you want your things back you have to pay transport costs.Ebay is getting worse.No stars for this one Feebay

Message 20 of 35
Latest reply