eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

Last week eBay started including the buyer's shipping address in their "Sale confirmed:..." emails.

Today I have made a sale, and the shipping address in the eBay email is different to the shipping address given in the PayPal payment confirmation! What fun!

Obviously I'll check with the buyer and alert eBay to the discrepency, but just wanted to make this issue known so others can avoid a potential problem.

...And while typing this, the buyer has responded to confirm that it is the address provided by PayPal that is correct, and that the one displayed in eBay's email is a previous address from 7 years ago. So it looks like eBay's system can potentially source the incorrect address from their records.

When I go to create the shipping label through eBay, however, the correct address (i.e. the PayPal sourced one) is being displayed.

Go figure.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

@tazzieterror wrote:

@joztamps wrote:

I have recently experienced 3 cases where there is a discrepancy between the (correct) address in the paypal email, and the (incorrect) address in trhe ebay email.

Despite the abovementioned ebay CS instructions, in each case the address shown in the Order Details is the incorrect ebay address, not the correct paypal address as supplied by the buyer at the time of ordering.

So it appears obvious that

- the error is occurring because the (prospective) ebay MP program is systematically replacing the paypal addresses on orders with its own address for the buyer, regardless of what the buyer has specified in his paypal order

- once sellers under MP cease getting the paypal emails, they will have absolutely no idea whether the address to which ebay instructs us to post is correct or not, and no way of checking except to ask each and every buyer to confirm their address

- if ebay's address is incorrect, and as a result an untracked letter (virtually 99.9% of my sales) disappears into the void, there is no way we can prove that we have complied with ebay's incorrect instructions

- I have no doubt whatever that the seller will be the one bearing the loss.

That's interesting - for all the orders where I've been emailed conflicting addresses by eBay and PayPal, the address displayed in 'order details' has been the correct one, i.e. the same as that specified in PayPal's email.

It is only in eBay's 'Sale confirmed...item paid for' email where I have seen the incorrect address displayed. Everywhere else — PayPal email, order details via the item listing, order details via the Seller Hub, and order details as displayed in the eBay app on my smart phone — the correct address has been shown.

So maybe there's no hard and fast rule about where to derive the correct address from, other than PayPal (while we still can).

I've had another sale tonight where the same issue has occurred — it's actually the correct address this time, but worded differently — so it's still not resolved. Managed Payments' launch tomrrow could be interesting.

Our experience has been the same as yours - eBay's sale confirmed email has shown the incorrect address, but both the Paypal email and order details have shown the correct address.

However, we are also very concerned as, like jozstamps, the majority of our orders are sent untracked.

This could turn into a very big mess, very quickly, if it's not fixed before the introduction of managed payments.

Message 71 of 93
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:

This could turn into a very big mess, very quickly, if it's not fixed before the introduction of managed payments.

I think you're right - I've had another sale this morning, and once again two different addresses. I'm surprised at how many of my sales this is showing up in. I'm only low volume so hardly representative, but it's at least a quarter of them over the past fortnight.

Message 72 of 93
Latest reply

The issue is the synchronisation of the PayPal to eBay address list for buyers. As buyers use PayPal at checkout they tend to update addresses in PayPal and not their eBay account.

Meanwhile eBay is dragging up either their old delivery or registered address and tossing that into their new email notification.

As we are not on 'Mangled Payments' yet, we still get the original PayPal email and ship to that address. With the handover PayPal may not be too forthcoming letting eBay dip into their database cart blanche.
Message 73 of 93
Latest reply

The ebay address is usually the member's registered home address and ebay has a reputation of pulling up old addresses.....so the ebay address could be very wrong on many levels.  It makes no difference whether the member has updated this or not if they want the item sent elsewhere.

The paypal address is always the address the buyer has entered when checking out....the address that they want the item sent to.  The seller will only get potection if they use this address.

Ebay does not dip into the paypal address.....there is no data base of addresses held by paypal except the registered address of the account holder.   The address given to the seller by paypal is the address given by the buyer where the item is to be posted....it can change with every purchase.

While you are receiving the ebay and the paypal notifications I would adise using the paypal one....there is less chance of an unhappy buyer.

Once ebay is the only notification sent to the seller.....all I can say is good luck!!

Message 74 of 93
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The ebay address is usually the member's registered home address and ebay has a reputation of pulling up old addresses.....so the ebay address could be very wrong on many levels.  It makes no difference whether the member has updated this or not if they want the item sent elsewhere.

The paypal address is always the address the buyer has entered when checking out....the address that they want the item sent to.  The seller will only get potection if they use this address.

Ebay does not dip into the paypal address.....there is no data base of addresses held by paypal except the registered address of the account holder.   The address given to the seller by paypal is the address given by the buyer where the item is to be posted....it can change with every purchase.

While you are receiving the ebay and the paypal notifications I would adise using the paypal one....there is less chance of an unhappy buyer.

Once ebay is the only notification sent to the seller.....all I can say is good luck!!

Gee thanks!  That really gives us confidence Woman Frustrated

Message 75 of 93
Latest reply

You're welcome.

This is one reason I am not an ebay seller.Smiley Sad

I really feel sorry for sellers in today's climate.

Message 76 of 93
Latest reply

As of this morning this is still unfixed - I've had another sale with the same issue.

Message 77 of 93
Latest reply

Use the address given in the paypal notification.....that is where the buyer wants the item sent to.

While you are getting address notifications from paypal, use them.

When the only notification is from ebay.....well good luck with it.

Message 78 of 93
Latest reply

Yeah you get 2 emails really can't be that hard and I don't think it will ever be fixed due to buyers having multiple addresses.
Message 79 of 93
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Use the address given in the paypal notification.....that is where the buyer wants the item sent to.

While you are getting address notifications from paypal, use them.

When the only notification is from ebay.....well good luck with it.

Once the buyer pays, the order details will show the correct, nominated by the buyer at checkout, address. Like it does now.

That's what I'll be using

Message 80 of 93
Latest reply