eBay fees/refunds

I had a person buy two lots of YOYOS and paid full postage of $24

Postage was $12 on both Items.
When I noticed the same person had purchased both items I immediately gave

a refund of $12 and both items were posted together.
The first item was $50 +$12 postage

final value fee $8.61
The second item   $65 +$12 postage final value fee 10.62

Three phone calls later to eBay an hour on the last one explaining the buyer paid postage twice and that I had given him a refund of $12 postage through ebay.
I told eBay I have been charged final value fees on the second item of $10.62 and that this is on correct the final value should be calculated on $65.
The final value fee should be $9.10 the difference $1.50

Ebay is charging approximately 14% on selling price plus postage price.
Give us a break.
The lady from eBay blamed the buyer and would not give me the difference $1.50

Both items were bought on the same day and the refund given the same day through ebay.
EBay are lousy she suggested I should not have given the postage refund.
I did the right thing but not according to ebay.
I am very diaspointed with ebay.
I have had enough of eBay and seriously considering closing my account
Regards Ray

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

eBay fees/refunds

The refund on postage, was a matter of goodwill between yourself and the buyer, it was not something the buyer was entitled to, and the ebay fees apply to the original transaction.

While it may be seen as commendable to refund the extra postage, you should at least deduct the applicable fees from any refund

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You don't offer postage discounts in your listings.

So the buyer must have been happy to pay both lots of postage.

But, yes, postage refunded less fees is the only way to go.

Keep in mind, if you have a dishonest buyer, they can claim item not received for one item, because you posted them together - one tracking number only.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

You don't offer postage discounts in your listings.

I must be going blind, where in the listing tool can you check a box to offer a discount for multiple purchases?

Signatures suck.
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

I don't know if this what she means, but sometimes when you check "Postage and Payments" sellers indicate a certain price for any additional items (or also free postage for any additional items).

Not all sellers do that, and some just combine postage if you ask them.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

I think it should be an option embeded into the system, rather than it being said in the description.

It happened to me on my other account, a buyer bought 8 items, buy it now - free postage that was factored in.

Sent in it all in an old 3kg satchel bag (to the buyers disadvantage he paid full price), the postie stuck a tracking number on it for nothing.

Signatures suck.
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

With some sellers it works when you add items to the cart (combined postage is calculated automatically), but with some it does not work and they don't even know why and say they will send an invoice.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

and some just combine postage if you ask them.

Yeah, I used to combine the postage if the buyer gave me enough time to send them an invoice.

This recent buyer paid straight away Lol 

Signatures suck.
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

No box ticking, Joz.

Just add to the description that you're happy to combine postage / give postage discounts for more than one item, use the cart and request an invoice.

Offering combined postage | eBay

Postage discounts | eBay

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

eBay fees/refunds

As far as I understand it, buyers now have to place the items in the cart and apparently commit to buy, before ebay sends a message to send an invoice to the buyer.   I have only had a couple of requests under this system, and with the last one the items could not be shipped together, so there was no postage discount to apply anyway.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply