eBay overcharging on Auspost labels again?

This was happening a while back but it seems to be happening again... last month my eBay invoice debited me $25.05 for a postage label costing $22.77, and $27.15 for a label costing $24.68. I got charged the correct amount for a dozen other labels, however.

Chatted to eBay about it and was told I'd be informed when it had been looked into, but have heard nothing since and had no credits on my account. Anyone else noticing these extra charges?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: eBay overcharging on Auspost labels again?

Spent half an hour on Chat to customer service because he went off to "research" it. In the end I'm exactly where I was at the end of my last chat with them 2 weeks ago. He has said he'll send an update tomorrow after speaking to the person I first spoke to. Regarding the charges he said:

"I will have to send a follow-up to billing team regarding this...I don't believe this to be normal charges as well.. but it's best to wait for the escalation team regarding this matter."

While the "billing team" are the ones to (I hope!) give me a credit, that doesn't fix the actual problem, which seems to be a bug. So I would advise anyone who has used the "Create Postage Label" function in the last 2 months to check that the label cost matches the invoiced amount, and to continue checking... forever. Either eBay or Australia Post have already taken ~$6 from me.

(I have also written to Auspost to ask if there are any additional fees when using this service, because I'm not aware that there are, especially not random fees.)

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

The original rep wrote to me a couple of days ago and said the credit request is still pending because "The process on crediting a postage label fee is different from your seller fees because we will have to forward this to Australia Post."

But...

"Rest assured though that the fee difference will be credited back to your account."

So at least they know the wrong amount was charged. Curious that Auspost needs to be involved because the extra fees were on my ebay invoice, which I've paid, so ebay has the money (not Auspost) - why can't they refund it?

Now to check my latest labels...

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

My husband was also overcharged 10% by eBay on 6 AusPost postage labels which were printed from 6 June 2015 till 9 August 2015. The discrepancies amounted to $12.66. It's a good thing I went through all his eBay fees in his seller account or I might have missed them. He managed to have them all credited back to his account but not without countless emails and lengthy chats. I just hope this isn't an ongoing problem that eBay isn't aware of.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Not good to hear this is still happening. I didn't find any problems with my July & August (so far) invoices. I did get credit on my July invoice for 2 of the 3 overcharged labels going back to May.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

This issue is still ongoing. I created a postage label for $22.32 on the 30th of August and eBay has just charged $24.55 to my seller account for this label. I've just emailed them an am awaiting their response.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Yikes, not good.

In my case it never happened with $7.45 labels, only the higher value ones.

ebay took ages to refund but eventually did. They said the reason it took so long was that the refund had to come from Australia Post before they could refund. However, I wrote to Australia post at the same time and finally (yesterday!!! - many weeks later) got their reply:

"Unfortunately, eBay account payment discrepancies are something that eBay will need to assist you with. Australia Post has no access to this information or authority."

Buck-passing, anyone?

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

It's the same with me - it is always the higher value postage labels that get overcharged.

The refund/credit sometimes takes ages but occasionally it happens within the day depending on who I'm chatting/emailing to. Some of the customer service reps don't have any idea what to do apart from escalating it to the billing department while others seem to be able to issue the credit without much fuss.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

I must've spoken with 3 different people trying to sort mine out a couple of months ago. Each time, they agreed there was a problem but couldn't fix it themselves, and always said they'd email me an update the next day, but never did. Eventually the credit appeared on a later invoice without warning.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

There is an easy fix, stop using ebay labels. As I have said before on numerous occasions. The little bit that you save on postage is not a saving when you factor in your time chasing up errors, ringing ebay and the angst created by that. I couldn't be bothered.
Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

My sentiments exactly Harley...

It's for these very reasons we never use them.

We always use Click and Send. They never overcharge.

The C&S website can be a little clunky at times tho.

I don't have time to sit down and go thru my invoices looking for these random overcharges with a fine toothed nit-comb.

Of course most of our items go out by large letter so our usage of parcels is quite low anyway.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply