eBay refusing to refund me after being scammed

xhyperseller
Community Member
Hey,

Long story short, sold a $1400 bag on eBay. Buyer received it, claimed it was fake, eBay told me to allow the return, buyer kepted my bag, returned a DIFFERENT bag to me which is fake.

I have a different bag now which is fake and the buyer received a refund and got to keep the real one. Opened a case and eBay said I was covered and needed to sign a statutory declaration. I did that and got a reply today, saying the case was denied, due to me and the buyer saying the same thing. I even submitted proof of what I sent and received.

Have since today talked to a supervisor in chat who claimed basically the same thing, they can't do anything.

So what can be done? Am I actually not covered?

In my eyes, this is fraud. A seller could return an apple and I'm not covered. I also have a good selling record.
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay refusing to refund me after being scammed

I had a case where I sold a pair of Hugo Boss Orange label, as new, menโ€™s jeans.  Buyer said Size was different to what I advertised and sent a photo of the size tag on the jeans. Thought it very odd that there must have been 2 sizes on the jeans, the size tag and also the size printed on the actual jeans,  buyer got all narky saying โ€œI donโ€™t have time to be stuffed around blah blah blahโ€. So I agreed to the refund.  

Paid the return postage, then when tracking showed delivered Ebay refunded him.  What peeโ€™d me off, the jeans he sent back were a different size, style, extremely worn and Red label.  I sent photos of my jeans from my listing to the buyer together with what he returned showing to completely different jeans.  His response, was โ€œoh sorry, my bad, you can keep them.โ€  **bleep**, he gets new jeans, a full refund and Iโ€™m also out of pocket return postage.

I appealed the decision Ebay made and it was denied โ€œbecause the buyer returned โ€œANโ€ item.  So got on the phone and pointed out eBayโ€™s policy regarding return items in the condition they are sent. They tried to say โ€œbut we donโ€™t visibly see the item so we MUST side with the buyer. I then pointed them to read the buyerโ€™s response where he admitted sending back the wrong jeans.  Ebay then agreed that the decision was wrong, and as a โ€œgoodwill gestureโ€ refunding me back the money and the return postage.

this is where there returns is seriously flawed. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you have the receipt for the item sent and you can get verification from a retailer of returned item being fraudulent then you have a chance to appeal the case.

Otherwise reporting to the online fraud squad may be the only action and won't necessarily get your item back.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

xhyperseller
Community Member
Thanks, I have already supplied eBay with my original receipt. Along with proof of how the bag is a different one then what I sent and this can be easily compared by looking at my original listing.

I just don't get how I'm not protected, a buyer could send back an apple and I wouldn't be covered. He sent back a different item, then what I sent and they don't seem to care.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

No, you need to send eBay proof from a retailers letterhead that the item received in return is a copy in order to have any chance of a look in.

eBay doesn't compare or think, it is mostly an automated system where you need to provide concrete evidence.

Unfortunately selling online requires a certain amount of nouse.

If I had this return come in, I would have not accepted the parcel based on being a different item whilst the postal staff witnessed.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I was going to say, that it should be pretty easy to prove the returned item, did not match the sold item, by simply referring to the serial number, but then I see that you have sold the exact same item twice, once via auction and then via fixed price.  So the proof of serial number might not be so straight forward.

I am No expert, and it could be a combination of pic quality and my old tired eyes,  but the serial number on this particular item and also the Brand logo on the card holder you also sold, both look a bit suspect when compared with genuine examples.

When selling an item that has a serial number, it is also a good idea to include the serial number in the listing.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I had a case where I sold a pair of Hugo Boss Orange label, as new, menโ€™s jeans.  Buyer said Size was different to what I advertised and sent a photo of the size tag on the jeans. Thought it very odd that there must have been 2 sizes on the jeans, the size tag and also the size printed on the actual jeans,  buyer got all narky saying โ€œI donโ€™t have time to be stuffed around blah blah blahโ€. So I agreed to the refund.  

Paid the return postage, then when tracking showed delivered Ebay refunded him.  What peeโ€™d me off, the jeans he sent back were a different size, style, extremely worn and Red label.  I sent photos of my jeans from my listing to the buyer together with what he returned showing to completely different jeans.  His response, was โ€œoh sorry, my bad, you can keep them.โ€  **bleep**, he gets new jeans, a full refund and Iโ€™m also out of pocket return postage.

I appealed the decision Ebay made and it was denied โ€œbecause the buyer returned โ€œANโ€ item.  So got on the phone and pointed out eBayโ€™s policy regarding return items in the condition they are sent. They tried to say โ€œbut we donโ€™t visibly see the item so we MUST side with the buyer. I then pointed them to read the buyerโ€™s response where he admitted sending back the wrong jeans.  Ebay then agreed that the decision was wrong, and as a โ€œgoodwill gestureโ€ refunding me back the money and the return postage.

this is where there returns is seriously flawed. 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

why bother selling here - what a scam

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply