eBay return policy for sellers

We have been selling on eBay for almost 14 years but one thing is more concern for us is eBay unfair return policy especially for Buyer simply change of mind return. Our main concern is we sell high value smart devices (laptop, computers phones). We have seen that buyer take advantage of this return policy. Also noticed that when returning item they try to manipulate return.

My question has anyone faced issue where buyer return item for change of mind.

Return label was issued by eBay to buyer but both item was not return to Us and was lost in transit.

So in this case who is responsible?

I guess eBay is liable because the return label was issued by eBay. In eBay return policy none of place has mentioned what if item was return to seller and was lost in transit who is responsible. As per law we know its eBay but their policy are not clear. We have been warning eBay support several time about this policy has loophole and if not fixed or taken right action Seller will have to suffer for fund being hold for longer time. Right now almost $7500 AUD is blocked by eBay for further investigation.

Has anyone being in similar situation if yes what are steps has been taken to rectify this issue.

This has become very concern issue and also we are planning to take necessary step if we as seller not protected. 

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

If you dont want to accept  Returns for change of mind....why do you offer it in your listings... Simply change 30 day returns to  No return.     This effectively stops change of mind returns but you are still responsible for returns if goods are faulty etc.

By offering 30 day returns, you are automatically accepting change of mind returns, not ebay, ebay are simply issueing the return label on your behalf and at your expense.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Thanks for reply. 

Yes but i'm not sure if you know that not offering 30 Days return policy will eliminated your listing from eBay plus listing also your listing will not be top rated will go down. Usually eBay prompt those listing which which are eBay plus accept 30 days return. Question is not here to offering return but concern is buyer return something lost in transit . 

My question is someone in similar boat by offering return if item is lost who is responsible if label is offered by eBay. 

We are top rated seller and to remain in top rated get your seller level you must have 30 Days return policy otherwise your listing will not be in top also eBay will not protect in case of false claims hope you know about it. 

thanks  

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

...................if item is lost who is responsible if label is offered by eBay. 

Ebay is not a mail carrier/postal service.

Your gripe would be with Australia Post and you would have to open an enquiry with them.

And how do you know it is lost?   Did the buyer upload tracking? 

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Ebay has simply done what you have authorized them to do, which is to automatically issue a return label, authorized and paid for by you.

If you think listing your items to cater for ebay plus buyers, is the best way of getting to the top of the tree, think again.  You have allready indicated you are not happy with  (being forced to accept returns)  and I am sure you are really happy when required to send items express for  $2.50  or what ever ebay are prepared to pay you this week, and of course you also have to offer free post to qualify for ebay plus listings, so you automatically lose your actual postage costs for every return.

As for, returns lost in transit, if the item is not returned to you, then ebay should not refund the buyer, but they probably will as a matter of goodwill.   Likewise if you have met all your obligations to ebay and the buyer, then you should not be penalised by ebay.

Note if ebay  believe there is security/legal issues with the transaction, and/or excessive number of returns etc,  then they can withhold funds for up to 180 days  while the matter is investigated further.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

I make sure my items do NOT qualify for ebay plus. I am also NOT a top rated seller. I do NOT offer change of mind returns. My items are always in the top 20 of best match. I wouldn't give tuppence for ebay plus.

Unless a buyer clicks on your feedback, which most don't, they wouldn't know if you were a top rated seller or not. It's not all the airs and graces it used to be. In fact, these days it pretty much means nothing.

If the tracking shows the item hasn't been delivered back to you, then no refund. Period. Even if they ask ebay to step in and help, if the item isn't showing as delivered, no refund. I would be getting onto ebay and showing them that the tracking isn't saying delivered.

I'd also like to add, leaving false positives for buyers is a violation of ebay policy. If the buyer reports you, ebay could very well shut you down. Telling others to beware of that buyer is pointless, because no one can see who they are. You risk having your account sanctioned for absolutely nothing.

Also, as English probably isn't your first language, get someone to read your replies to your negative feedback before submitting the reply. The first negative, your reply makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If English is your first language, then definitely get someone to read your replies to negative feedback!

Your feedback is otherwise excellent. Don't be tempted to leave false positives for the odd bad buyer. It's not worth losing your account over.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

This would be interesting when the item value is over $100 as I doubt insurance would have been used.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Thanks team for your response but its does not point to right direction. @*sons_and_daughters* Yes english is not my first language but that has nothing to do with this issue. We will end this chat here and once again thanks for your valuable response.  

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

I am also a  TOP RATED SELLER.   and I do not offer  30 day returns

I don't know why you consider the thread  responses dont point in the right direction.

If it is because you are considering taking or threatening legal action against ebay,  then here is a bit more advice....DON'T.....YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

There is no "team" response because you aren't going to get a reply from ebay. They don't look at the forums, let alone reply. This is a member to member forum. Pointless reaching out to ebay thinking you will get a reply.

As English isn't your first language, as you have said, definitely get someone to check your replies to negative feedback before you post, because it makes absolutely no sense, and any Australian buyer would think you might be a bit below a clam shell. That isn't what you want. I have had negative feedback from numpties and a factual reply, with no malice, has not affected my selling at all. 

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply