eBay successfully ruins Christmas

Due to a tight year financially and money being short I decided to list my camera on eBay so that I had money to use towards Christmas. The camera sold on 27th November, it was sent straight away and when the buyer received it he was happy with the purchase. eBay decided to hold on to the funds until 11th December, reportedly as a "precautionary measure", which was not too much of a problem as once they were available this still left a couple of weeks until Christmas. However the 11th December came and went with no funds being transferred. I checked again and now eBay are saying that the funds are not going to be released until 28th December. This is despite me having a 100% positive record on eBay and no problems on either side of a transaction. So much for a Merry Christmas in our family. They just seem to do it because they can and stuff the users. So much for loyalty and maintaining a good record being important and rewarded.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You have not clarified if you are fully signed up and ID verified with documents and bank account for Managed Payments.

The managed payment system can hold your funds for up to 30 days as per their T&C's, especially if you are an intermittent seller.

Did you upload tracking into the transaction? That can sometimes speed things up, but no guarantee.

Having a 100% rating is irrelevant.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Contact ebay CS via live chat.  the buyer has left you + feedback, and I assume you have tracking data.

showing item delivered, as such ebay may decide to release the funds sooner.   Note it is at their discretion.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Yes verified bank account etc. 

I am now aware that the payment system can hold my money for up to 30 days but was not at the time as this has never been done to me in the past and they had initially advised 14 days.

Do not intend being even an intermittent seller in the future. eBay takes enough commission without having the use of my money for an extended period of time.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I contacted the chat a couple of days ago. The person on the other end seemed to have no power or no will to do anything to resolve this issue but just kept reiterating that they it is up to eBay how long they hold the funds.

Will not make this mistake in the future.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Your last feedback was from over a year ago, so like every other seller, you are considered new by eBay

Not sure how you figure eBay have use of your money

I would not consider going back to being any kind of seller without making myself aware of what the basic, current policies are

As for Christmas, not everyone is lucky enough to even think about having any kind of day at all

But that is all on eBay

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@kindacruizy wrote:

I contacted the chat a couple of days ago. The person on the other end seemed to have no power or no will to do anything to resolve this issue but just kept reiterating that they it is up to eBay how long they hold the funds.

Will not make this mistake in the future.

Normal CS representatives can't help. You could ask to speak to a supervisor, but they might not be able to help either.

If you really can't get your money now, your family will understand. If you have children, some charity might help you with toys. Please also be aware of the fact that because they pay the money into your bank account, it might take a few days for the money to appear in your account, even after they have paid.

And... I agree with Sandy that for some it's just a normal day anyway.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Iโ€™ve every sympathy if youโ€™re in a tight financial situation.

Unfortunately, eBay is not the answer if you need quick funds and are an occasional seller only. As has been stated in this thread and on the boards generally, Managed Payments is geared towards eBay sellers who regularly sell (thus not being considered โ€œnewโ€ by eBayโ€™s algorithms).

Have you anything you can sell on Facebook? 

Do you want to try something like offering mowing/gardening on Facebook in your local community?

To cut down costs and make Christmas a joyous time for you and your family, perhaps some of the following thoughts could be useful:

โ€ข think of some handmade gifts, whatever you can manage;

โ€ข plan Christmas food around whatโ€™s most economical and in season;

โ€ข use Reward points if you have them;

โ€ข bear in mind that Christmas is actually not a celebration of how much you spend, but a time of thankfulness and love (with a spiritual non-commercial message at its heart); and

โ€ข melodramatic claims that eBay has ruined Christmas are reflecting how you felt at a particular moment, not the reality. I think perhaps the people of Ukraine would have more reason to blame Putin and the Russian forces (and Iran for supplying the infrastructure-destroying missile-drones) for ruining their Christmasโ€ฆ But equally I think the Ukrainians will overcome the difficulties and focus on what really matters, celebrating in spite of everything. Doesnโ€™t that give us a better perspective? Donโ€™t fall into despondency about Christmas on the basis of money, but be thankful you have loved ones with whom to celebrate.

I would agree youโ€™re probably best off not selling on eBay. People who are primarily just casual users on eBay (perhaps mostly buying, or used to sell the odd item from around the house in the past before MP came in) are not the sellers that are encouraged by eBay nowadays. eBay had changed.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

' Melodramatic '. lol

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Relying one Ebay in times of financial strife is risky at best, especially if you have not taken the time to reacquaint yourself with current regulations.

Items may not sell at all, or when they do, there is the 13.4% sale fee to consider, which a surprising number of sellers get upset about as they haven't taken the time to investigate the fee structure.

On top of which, people can be scammers. You're lucky you had a satisfied buyer, but plenty come to the boards after being defrauded and losing thousands. Just recently a lady wrote that she lost about $3000 to a fraudulent seller. 

Ebay are not holding your money to be cruel. As an infrequent seller, you have to prove your reliability, and one of the reasons Ebay holds your funds is to cover the time period after receipt in which the buyer may open a dispute against you (30 days). Whilst I know the item was received and the buyer is happy, many, many buyers open disputes literally the day before the 30 day window closes. Both you and Ebay don't know what will happen in these 30 days, so Ebay plays it super safe.

Depending on where you live, you could also have listed the camera on your local Facebook Buy and Sell groups. I've had quite a bit of success and there are no fees.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply