ebay zzzzz - boring

In regards to the decline of ebay for sellers of a certain size

I am one of them

I have just sent a message to Quicksales asking them to lift their game so they can attract more of us and hence more buyers.

They have many good points they can sell themselves on v ebay

They pay tax

They are cheap

They are Australian

I would like to suggest any disgruntled sellers do the same - let them know there are enough of us out there to make it worth their while to promote themselves more, and make a genuine effort v ebay

ebay don't want us, so we don't have alot of choice

Discuss

Robert

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: ebay zzzzz - boring

Yeah I have never came across any information about " lots of sellers on one site drives down prices" or "Thousands of sites drive up prices". But I always have friends and family ask me about the cost, time and effectiveness of having a website for various things, and I am qualified and have worked in that field so I know many people have very unrealistic ideas about websites and what they will do for their business. They also have very unrealistic ideas about how easy it is and that is not very time consuming. It is time consuming and it isn't that easy if you don't know what you are doing or understand how the basics of SEO tools, websites and databases work.

Yes some of us X Gen Geeks make it look easy but we were born Geeks in the right era. And of course Gen Y make it looks easy they have been taught it as second nature since primary school. But don't be fooled, otherwise you will get ripped off. Research, research, research is required to do this, and I cannot say the word research enough for anyone going down that path.

I will be using ESTY as my plan B if things go to hell on Ebay, not sure why but Quicksales is just to "used carsales" for me, and Gumtree will always be "almost but not quite there", where as ESTY is like "Slowly growing, nice format, clean lines, right combination of easy yet professional looking, needs to step up marketing but heading in right direction" for me.

Message 41 of 81
Latest reply

We listed 8x of our most popular items from ebay on QS about 3-1/2 months ago now just to try it out.

The price is about 15% less than the same item on ebay.

Not a single sale yet.

Quite a few clicks/views but no contact or sales.

How about a bunch of us disgruntled ebay sellers get our heads together and kick in some $$$$ each and then find someone who can build a site and advertise the hell out of it. And treat the sellers with the respect they deserve.

Message 42 of 81
Latest reply

Yep that could work but for one thing  - the amount of chipping in required!

To start something up from scratch and advertise the hell out of it would need more than the $20 I am able to chip in at the moment.

Reckon we are better off jumping aboard an already floating concern like Quicksales, but we would need to time our jump just right

Too soon and QS won't cope with the extra cargo (sounds like they can't handle what they already have)

Too late, means we let ourselves die a slow death on ebay

Get on QS, get the ship in order by paying FVF, and contribute to the cost of running a good operation

Always being in good communication with our business partner, unlike ebay

and make it genuinely mutually beneficial, again, unlike ebay

oh and brush your teeth before you go to bed!!

Robert

Message 43 of 81
Latest reply

Perhaps with enuff $$$ kicked in we can do a group buy and take over QS then go ahead and manage it properly and head it off in the direction we all want it to go.
Message 44 of 81
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:
Perhaps with enuff $$$ kicked in we can do a group buy and take over QS then go ahead and manage it properly and head it off in the direction we all want it to go.

I suggested this on the QS forums, and although in theory sounds like a great idea, I don't think they would let it go too easily, as I am sure carsales is using QS as a tax write-off and they woudn't want to lose that.

Message 45 of 81
Latest reply

There is a reason you are getting no sales on QS.  There has been a big issue there for about a month now, descriptions are not showing.  I first reported it in early September then 30+ other sellers jumped in and said the same thing.  Apparently if you are running adblocker then your descriptions can't be seen.  Turn adblocker off (for me anyway) and I can see my descriptions again.  Only problem is how will the buyers know that?  They just think I am too lazy to type a description?  

The first thread posted on the QS forum was deleted by admin, the next one (still running now) shows the problem still isn't fixed.  However they did personally email me and ask for more details (previously their standard answer was "we can't replicate the problem/so it doesn't exist".  They are at least working on it at the moment (so they tell me in the latest email).

QS was good a while ago, I was selling even par with my ebay store, and doing better because there were no fees (except paypal).  Hopefully QS will lift their game and take on the opportunity they have been given on a silver platter by ebay - let's face it they don't want most of us anyway.

Message 46 of 81
Latest reply

@kylies*swap*cards* wrote:

There is a reason you are getting no sales on QS.  There has been a big issue there for about a month now, descriptions are not showing.  I first reported it in early September then 30+ other sellers jumped in and said the same thing.  Apparently if you are running adblocker then your descriptions can't be seen.  Turn adblocker off (for me anyway) and I can see my descriptions again.  Only problem is how will the buyers know that?  They just think I am too lazy to type a description?  

The first thread posted on the QS forum was deleted by admin, the next one (still running now) shows the problem still isn't fixed.  However they did personally email me and ask for more details (previously their standard answer was "we can't replicate the problem/so it doesn't exist".  They are at least working on it at the moment (so they tell me in the latest email).

QS was good a while ago, I was selling even par with my ebay store, and doing better because there were no fees (except paypal).  Hopefully QS will lift their game and take on the opportunity they have been given on a silver platter by ebay - let's face it they don't want most of us anyway.

This is a really odd situation as I use Firefox and Adblock Plus and I can see the descriptions. So it isn't as simple as turning off the adblock, and as you say - how on earth would visitors even know to do this?

Message 47 of 81
Latest reply

yes you are right, they get a bad impression and just leave.  I have very loyal long term buyers who followed me from ebay to QS (then OZtion) and all happily bought there.  Recently I reopened my store there but none of the buyers are using the site - they are still registered and even watching my items there (you can see who is watching your items on QS) but they come here and buy at 15-20% higher prices Cat Surprised  I don't get it....

oh and edit to add, a lot of sellers said they didn't have adblocker installed or ever used it (I did and disabling it seemed to fix the error for me at least).  It didn't matter which browser or which platform either - seems to be no logical pattern to it 

Message 48 of 81
Latest reply

I had the same problem, I looked at quicksales and couldn't see any descriptions so I just left and haven't been back since. I have since learned about the ad blocker problem but I just can't be bothered turning my ad blocker off and on just to look at a few things.

Latest reply

have had the same listings on ebay and QS for years..ebay feedback almost 3000, QS feedback 12...

they need to promote QS if they care to get buyers there.

anyway,if QS ever got competitive ebay would just buy them out and shut shop...

Message 50 of 81
Latest reply