Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi a sequence of events. 

I sold my first item, 

Ebay holding my funds 

I did not know Ebay would hold my funds there was no warning, 

they did it after the sale, 

I have verified my bank account, 

Because Ebay Held my funds i could not post the buyers item as i didnt have the transport fees to get to the post office, if i waited for my funds to be released (28th) my first sale would have been **bleep** with a **bleep** review .  So i went and got a favour off a neighbour and hand delivered the item she bought, she is happy with it, i correspondended with her to write to Ebay to let them know she has recieved it and is happy, As she is a new buyer she is unable to post a review for 5 days, which should be about up by now but last monday she informed ebay in (email) that she has recieved the item and she is happy with it and happy with my prompt personal delivery service i did for her. 

Item recieved - check

Banking verified - check 

customer happy and personally emailed ebay that she recieved it as she was unable to post review - check 

I was waiting for this sale money to buy food with, i am a pensioner and 86 dollars after costs is a large amt for me and was looking forward to buying coffee and fresh milk. 

Can someone PLEASE tell me under what law or whatever can Ebay hold my Money???

Last week they told me it will be held until i verified my bank, This has been done already. 

Depending on who i speak to in support i get what seems to be a different Lie. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: financial Hardship caused by Ebay

The same holds on funds, applied under paypal for the last 2-3yrs that sellers could use paypal,

so holds have been in place for  5-6 yrs,

While i sympathiize with your position, you really need re-learn how ebay works.

No ombudsman is going to force ebay to release your funds early, therefore forgoing the T&C that you agreed to,

If you can not meet the postage costs, you would be  best advised to end all your remaining listings  until some of your funds are released, enabling you to meet your commitments to ebay and your buyers.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@purplelicious wrote:

"i am a pensioner"

I hope you have looked into how selling on eBay may affect your pension.  Your sales totals may result in reduced pension if you are required to declare these sales to centrelink.  You need to look at the centreling webpage or call them to find out.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I understand where you are coming from, it's difficult to be short of funds, but that makes it doubly important that you check out things twice or three times or four, whatever it takes, before you commit your hard earned cash. Being oblivious will never help you, so you need to put yourself in the driver's seat.

That applies to selling on ebay or anywhere else.

With ebay, for most things, they have to be posted off and you are right, the safest method is with tracking.

There are selling fees and fees on postage charged to factor in to your asking price. A few years ago, well before covid, a friend and I decided to have a garage sale and we were shocked to find an ad in a local paper would about $56. That was just the ad, whether we sold anything or not.

There are fees for sellers on a lot of sales or advertising sites.

If you want to sell on ebay, best bet is to save a little bit first, enough to cover postage on a few cheaper items you intend to sell. Then list and post promptly. My sister & I used to sell and we set up a separate bank account for this so that everything-fees, profits, costs etc, went into it (or came out of it) and we didn't have to touch our everyday money.

If you build up a selling profile with a small but steady stream of cheaper items, then you'll move past the hold on funds and be able to get paid much sooner.

But there are still pitfalls with ebay in that customers can open claims against you if they think the item isn't quite right or if something isn't delivered in time, they could possibly be refunded, so you'd need to have that separate kitty to cover you if things went wrong.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

. I was not referring to Ombudsmen releasing "my" funds, Rather specifically referring to the holding of postage monies and further the taking of 12+% of postage costs. Thank you for your advice but  I have met the postage costs and sent everything out on time ( I have 3-day handling) I just would have preferred to get items out early and not be stressed by it, yes it was my ignorance to not read the fine print if there was any it was sent directly to me but how hard would it be for eBay to have a little pop up with the first new listing. eg hi, we see u have not sold for a while please be REMINDED ..payments will be on hold... da da

.......... today however finally eBay has released the first portion of my sales so should keep trickling in now. 

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I was just as much trying to give the delisiouspurpleladie some moral support saying yep me too. It's been a bit of a head trip but finally, eBay has released some of my funds. I sell a niche market and when what I have is gone that's it. Unfortunately, eBay is the best platform for what I sell. but if you're selling cheap generic stuff and in bulk, I would think there are much better value platforms.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@specialize_me wrote:

. I was not referring to Ombudsmen releasing "my" funds, Rather specifically referring to the holding of postage monies and further the taking of 12+% of postage costs. Thank you for your advice but  I have met the postage costs and sent everything out on time ( I have 3-day handling) I just would have preferred to get items out early and not be stressed by it, yes it was my ignorance to not read the fine print if there was any it was sent directly to me but how hard would it be for eBay to have a little pop up with the first new listing. eg hi, we see u have not sold for a while please be REMINDED ..payments will be on hold... da da

.......... today however finally eBay has released the first portion of my sales so should keep trickling in now. 

I totally agree about the pop up. Ebay is quick to put in suggestions for what people can write for feedback etc  but it is harder to find the info on holds. A pop up for new or returning sellers that clearly outlines things would be helpful.

The information is all there but it's a few clicks in & I can tell from the posts that are made on this forum that quite a few new sellers never get that far. They may read the opening spiel but no further. It could be improved, for sure.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply