how do i turn off good till cancelled?

ive just started using ebay after a long while and cant select 5 days or 3 days duration, whats going on???

my items are gonna be lost on the site especially if people have them in order of ending soon, thats why i select shorter durations.

i feel this was done for those who may simply forget to cancel it and ebay will slug them a fee, is that even legal to not allow someone the option not to not auto relist if it could confuse and deceive them and exploit them with extra fees. bit scummy.

i think ebays also desperate to keep items on the site longer cause facebook market place is killing them like crazy, so popular. theres probably less items and customers on ebay now so they have to keep existing items on there longer, seems obvious to me.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Short term listing, is now only available for auction items.  All fixed price items are good till cancelled, no way arround it.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Read some of the MANY threads about this.

From 20 Feb ALL BIN listings are GTC only.

If you want shorter durations, use auctions. Or use Facebook.

As far as listing BINs for 3 or 5 days goes, I'm glad they got rid of it. THOSE are the listings that clutter up the site.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Read some of the MANY threads about this.

From 20 Feb ALL BIN listings are GTC only.

If you want shorter durations, use auctions. Or use Facebook.

As far as listing BINs for 3 or 5 days goes, I'm glad they got rid of it. THOSE are the listings that clutter up the site.

Totally agree.  Most of the people who used 3 or 5 days only did it so they could get an advantage over other sellers, just as the OP said, but now it's a level playing field and everyone is playing by the same rules so it's much fairer!  Having stuff cycling over and over on 3 or 5 days was a real turn-off for buyers so the people who did that were shooting themselves in the foot (and everyone else with them).

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

This might be a really stupid question, but for the items you don't want to list for 30 days, can't you just cancel the listing after however many days you choose and then re-list it?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Since the introduction of best match and the fact most listings are buy it now there is no point in using ending soonest. 

When the majority of listings had been auction then ending soonest was the best search method but I think you will find most just use the default best match or lowest price. 

As far as you listings being ranked in the list unfortunatley not everyone can be on the first page so getting the title and price correct is more imprortant then ever.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Sure can. Apparently some think ebay should do everything for them.

To add to what eol said, if people search by ending soonest all they see is the stuff that wasn't good enough to get snapped up straight away. All the bargain are found by searching newly listed, but buyers want to see the stuff that really is new and not have to go through the same items they saw 3 or 5 days ago, and before that.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@phantomchris1984 wrote:

my items are gonna be lost on the site especially if people have them in order of ending soon, thats why i select shorter durations.

i feel this was done for those who may simply forget to cancel it and ebay will slug them a fee, is that even legal to not allow someone the option not to not auto relist if it could confuse and deceive them and exploit them with extra fees. bit scummy.

They'll be ending soonest in about 30 days, as the 30-day duration gives them a clock that ticks down when it's about to tick over to a new cycle. 

But, like others have mentioned, ending soonest isn't really helpul for anything except auctions. If people switch from the default best match, the most common are price + postage, lowest first, and newly listed. Trust me when I say that those who are looking for items new to the site, but see the same items over and over again in 'newly listed' will just be annoyed by the sellers who do it - it's basically spamming search results. 

As to whether it's legal - in a word, yes. It's basically the same business model all those services that give you a month free trial and then automatically start charging you if you don't cancel the membership before the trial is up. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Rather than ebay deliberately doing it to get extra fees out of those who forget to end their listings in time, I'd say ebay is trying to encourage people to take responsibility for their own listings, including knowing when they'll end (which is so easy to check), instead of listings their items and forgetting them. If people don't like the extra work it'll force them to think long and hard about which items are most likely to sell and whether they really want to list the others.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply