item not received although the aus post tracking says it has been delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do i do when a customer says they have not received their item although it says delivered on the tracking details?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: item not received although the aus post tracking says it has been delivered

I always send with a signature required!

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I don't know what you just said, but it sounds good.Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

mitbri
Community Member

You don't have to do anything. You have arranged tracking, and then it's in the hands of Aust Post.

You will be covered with paypal and ebay, all you have to do is produce the tracking number. 

Ebay and paypal will check the Aust. Post website and will be able to tell it's been delivered. 

The onis is on the buyer to provide a safe place for delivery. If the mail man went to the wrong address

then their claim is with Aust Post. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Tracking has nothing to do with it which is a USA thing.....under Australian Consumer Law it's solely about proving delivery of the buyer's item to a carrier who then assumes responsibility for the item's delivery to the buyer. It's best to post over the counter and ask for a lodgement receipt that they provide with registered post letters with the buyer's name and address written on it post mark stamped and verified by the postal worker accepting the parcel for transit and delivery, then it's bulletproof legally.

To dispute that the parcel was incorrectly addressed causing a buyer's loss, they would have to produce evidence of the address being incorrect at lodgement....what happens at the delivery end is irrelevent. Half the address label being rubbed off in transit, postie has a guess and delivers to the wrong address isn't the seller's problem to address.

Tracking, be careful unless it shows a delivery scan at the buyer's suburb which doesn't always happen can actually prove the buyer's case that the parcel was incorrectly addressed.

At lodgement if the post office refuse to provide a lodgement receipt where some do, tell them they have to provide official verification of the parcel's addressee because if the buyer of this item files a chargeback, you will lose the item and your money if you can't prove to whom the parcel was addressed.

This is scammers paradise, buy expensive and items and just say you didn't get it.....signature on delivery is great as no ID is required at  a street address so sign a false name and declare the receipient unknown.

This Money Back Guarantee thing is a problem waiting to unfold when the shonky buyers get hold of it, buy what ever you like, say you didn't get it, 99% of sellers won't be able to defend the case properly and how good is that.....FREEBIES!!

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Because most of my items are sent via large letters which carry no proof of lodgement, I have arranged with my Post Office for them to use their official PO stamp to cancel the postage, then I take a photograph of each individual cancelled letter to use as irrefutable proof of lodgement in the event that a buyer claims INR.

A Paypal representative has already agreed that such photographs will definitely serve as sufficient evidence of lodgement in such cases, so anybody else who predominantly uses large letters should do the same, particularly as almost all of us are carrying mobile phones with inbuilt cameras in them these days.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Yes cq I was told the same thing by a PayPal csr a while back when trying to defend a chargeback case. Have not had to put it to the test tho.
Has anyone?
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Fortunately I've not yet had to do so, but should the need ever arise, I have no doubt that I will be covered under Paypal's Seller Protection Policy, but if for some obscure reason Paypal went back on their word and attempted to reject my evidence, I'm sure that a complaint to the FOS would very quickly set things straight again.
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply