latest new from Aus Post - starts Jan 2016?

44 REPLIES 44

@twyngwyn wrote:
The prepaid envelopes don't have amounts on them - so are good forever...I've been bulk buying for years

That's interesting....I can't remember the last time I bought a pre-paid envelope.  I have a stock of DL envelopes from when I used to send out accounts and just put stamps on them now that we no longer use bulk mailing.

Maybe I had better stock up on a few prepaids on Monday.

Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

I'm still using prepaid C4 and C5 envelopes from a couple of years ago and the old red satchels. The PO gave me 60 tracking stickers so that I could use up the satchels.

When I was selling a lot, my PO used to order a large number of envelopes and satchels for me so I could purchase before the price rise.

Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

yup... I have express envelopes I got 15 years ago.... I still use them, and certainly dont add any extra postage to them. Surely theres been a price rise since then (?).  Maybe not.

Same with prepaid envelopes - no price. I still have some from university (15 years old). I never add stamps, since theres no price on them to begin with.

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

The only problem with stocking up on prepaid envelpes now, is if they put the price on them from Jan going forward, and charge extra for the old ones when you go to post them....

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

no wonder aust post are complaining and want to put prices up, how can you use something today at 15 year ago prices, .

i think i got an old menu from the local pizza shop for $3.99 large pizzas    whats my chances  

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

The only problem with stocking up on prepaid envelpes now, is if they put the price on them from Jan going forward, and charge extra for the old ones when you go to post them....

They can't & don't....if they want to do that I would think that's another application to the government

Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

no wonder aust post are complaining and want to put prices up, how can you use something today at 15 year ago prices, .

i think i got an old menu from the local pizza shop for $3.99 large pizzas    whats my chances  

Not the same thing though - a menu is a price list, and the pizza is the product - when the pizza shop raises their prices, they don't come 'round to your house and charge you extra for remaining slices you haven't eaten yet.
Australia Post is updating their price list, and their pre-paid products (generally) aren't affected when they do. Don't forget, they've been in business for over 100 years, so I'm pretty sure that they would have learned by now that if they wanted to stop older products from being used after price rises, they should should put batch codes and expiry dates on them. If they're complaining about it, they only have themselves to blame. 
Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

correct  i was joking on the pizza  , well they have not learned much  saarzi is still using pre paid envelopes  that are 15 years old .mmmm

i dont know if the new prepaids have expiry dates on them or some type of codes  i am sure some of the posters can answere that

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

Joe, I have just received a letter in a prepaid envelope.....there is no price on the stamp and nothing in the way of a code or expiry date.

They cannot charge more for envelopes already paid for and the only way to monitor that in the future is to have the stamp price on the envelope and update it when new prices come in.  Only then could they do what they say they do and give a short moritorium and then hit users with an underpaid postage notice.

Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

This article mentions that the 125g - 250 g bracket will go up from $2.10 to $3.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/australia-post-applies-for-1-stamp/story-e6frfku9-1227...

So I guess we can also assume:

50g - 125g: $1.40 > $2

250g - 500g: $3.50 > $5 (...!)

However, the article doesn't mention those brackets, so it's possible they'll do away with them altogether.

Also mentions that they're taking submissions from the public on this.

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply