latest new from Aus Post - starts Jan 2016?

44 REPLIES 44

Here is the official submission from AP to the ACCC:

http://www.accc.gov.au/regulated-infrastructure/postal-services/australia-post-letter-pricing-2015/d...

Anyone who wishes to lodge a submission can do so from the link on the left side of the page.

The ACCC will release their preliminary ruling in November.

Message 31 of 45
Latest reply

Unless I am mistaken, this is excellent news.

The changes will keep post offices open โ€“ including Australia Post's vital regional and rural network - keep posties delivering five days a week and ensure Australians everywhere can still access a world-class delivery service.

Sure, a stamp price rise is not exciting, but unless I am misreading this, Australia Post have decided that they WILL continue to deliver letters five days a week. That's awesome.

Message 32 of 45
Latest reply

thats bad management ,  whats the use of puting up prices when ebayers for instance could buy up until next year , then use them for  the lower price paid.  like sarrzi said they are still using 15 year old envelopes.

Message 33 of 45
Latest reply

to justajunk  a world class  what.  do you read posts here   8 days to here 2 weeks to here and in january an even slower service,

the only good thing is posties dont loose there jobs ,  

Message 34 of 45
Latest reply

@justajunk wrote:

Unless I am mistaken, this is excellent news.

The changes will keep post offices open โ€“ including Australia Post's vital regional and rural network - keep posties delivering five days a week and ensure Australians everywhere can still access a world-class delivery service.

Sure, a stamp price rise is not exciting, but unless I am misreading this, Australia Post have decided that they WILL continue to deliver letters five days a week. That's awesome.

Definitely good news - and probably the only good news.

I think it's really misleading how they're claiming a 49% price rise (which is massive in and of itself) but to get the same service as what we have now, it'll be even more than that (because you'll have to pay for priority). So, in reality, the price rise will be more than 49%, although the submission says that the priority pricing will not be released until the ordinary pricing has been approved.

Also, I'm not sure why the 250g - 500 bracket (in Appendix 3) is highlighted in blue and labelled "non reserved price". I searched the document but could not find an explanation.

My primary concern is how eBay is going to handle the chorus of numpties who don't understand the changes and ding sellers for postage time. My bet is they won't do anything about it at all.

Message 35 of 45
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

to justajunk  a world class  what.  do you read posts here   8 days to here 2 weeks to here and in january an even slower service,

the only good thing is posties dont loose there jobs ,  

Mmm? The article linked to in the OP does not mention AP adopting the slower service that they initially proposed. In fact, the media release emphasises the fact that posties will still be delivering letters five days a week.

Message 36 of 45
Latest reply

There was never any suggestion that posties would not deliver 5 days a week.

There was a suggestion that there would be 2 speeds of delivery....standard and Priority.  AP is already implementing this as the post offices are now sorting their mail into categories before it is collected.

Priority mail will still be delivered as it is now but Standard can be expected to be slower.  If the postie can not take all the mail in one day they will concentrate on the Priority and leave the Standard till the next day.

It is all very muddled still....the postman might come down your street every day but not necessarily deliver to every house.

Message 37 of 45
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

http://www.accc.gov.au/regulated-infrastructure/postal-services/australia-post-letter-pricing-2015/d...

Anyone who wishes to lodge a submission can do so from the link on the left side of the page.

Cheers for that - I haven't had a chance to go through it thoroughly yet, but it seems like most of what I expected will come to pass.

I suspect "non-reserved" means that the weight category and/or pricing hasn't been decided upon by AP yet, and it may well mean they are planning to only allow large letters to be up to 250g, so above that they'll have to go as parcels (I kind of expected it to go the other way - i.e. up to 125g to go and only have 2 weight categories, but they're probably thinking more parcels rather than more money for large letters).

Then again, there's a notation for the C6 prepaid envelope (smaller size, up to 250g weight limit) saying they'll be phased out, while the larger ones with up to 500g weight limit (currently) will remain, so who knows... Smiley Frustrated

This caught my eye:

"The price for Priority delivery is based on the price for Regular delivery plus a premium for Priority"

I wonder if that means the extra for a Priority stamp will only apply once? eg Say it is an extra 50c for a small letter to go as priority, that could mean a 200g letter would then possibly be $3.50 for priority, rather than $4.50 [3 x $1.50] - if the premium applies per stamp, so each one is $1.50, all letters sent priority means it'll be just shy of a 115% increase for the same service we get now). 

Their "impact of the changes" takes a pretty narrow view on the matter, too - I'm sure most households spend more money on letter postage to receive than they do to send. 

Message 38 of 45
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@everard6920 wrote:

Cheers for that - I haven't had a chance to go through it thoroughly yet, but it seems like most of what I expected will come to pass.

I suspect "non-reserved" means that the weight category and/or pricing hasn't been decided upon by AP yet, and it may well mean they are planning to only allow large letters to be up to 250g, so above that they'll have to go as parcels (I kind of expected it to go the other way - i.e. up to 125g to go and only have 2 weight categories, but they're probably thinking more parcels rather than more money for large letters).

Then again, there's a notation for the C6 prepaid envelope (smaller size, up to 250g weight limit) saying they'll be phased out, while the larger ones with up to 500g weight limit (currently) will remain, so who knows... Smiley Frustrated

This caught my eye:

"The price for Priority delivery is based on the price for Regular delivery plus a premium for Priority"

I wonder if that means the extra for a Priority stamp will only apply once? eg Say it is an extra 50c for a small letter to go as priority, that could mean a 200g letter would then possibly be $3.50 for priority, rather than $4.50 [3 x $1.50] - if the premium applies per stamp, so each one is $1.50, all letters sent priority means it'll be just shy of a 115% increase for the same service we get now). 

Their "impact of the changes" takes a pretty narrow view on the matter, too - I'm sure most households spend more money on letter postage to receive than they do to send. 

That makes sense (re: the 250g - 500g bracket). However, I really hope you're wrong, because I send parcels in that bracket all the time and having them go at the cheapest parcel rate ($7.15) would kill off  business.
And yes, that was my interpretation of the priority charge (that it'll be once-of). I really wish they'd included the priority charges in this submission, because I feel that the price and structure of it could influence the ACCC's decision.
Toying with the idea of submitting something, but feeling very defeatist about the whole thing (IMO, it's a foregone conclusion, and if they're not making profit and I don't have another solution, then I don't feel like anything I write will make any difference).

Message 39 of 45
Latest reply

the line between a letter and parcel is getting even closer.

Message 40 of 45
Latest reply