Customer claims no item. AP tracking says "delivered". What's my responsibility here?

I recieved a message from a customer saying he hasn't received his package (containing two model cars). I check the AUS POST tracking number which says it was delivered two weeks ago.

I gave him the details and he said he will go to the Post Office to investigate. I'm sure they will check the tracking number and tell him the same thing I told him - that they delivered it 2 weeks ago.

Is the onus on me (as the seller) to rectify this problem or is it out of my hands?

I am happy to wear the damage if:

* I failed to send it

* I sent it to the wrong address

* I sent the wrong item

* I sent a damaged item

* I sent a "used" item instead of a new one etc

but I am uncomfortable refunding someone in a situation like this. 

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Customer claims no item. AP tracking says "delivered". What's my responsibility here?

If the AP tracking number shows the item was delivered to an address in the buyers post code area, Ebay and paypal would normally find in your favour in the event the case went to a formal complaint.

Sellers should not be responsible for AP delivery problems, or for buyers who "lose" items once delivered to their address. AP have been known to deliver to the wrong address ( neighbors sometimes ) and to leave parcels at the residents door in plain sight of passers by who can steal them. ( its a buyers responsability to have a secure system for recieving mail, not yours. ) Whilst regrettable this is not your fault. I would suggest you contact the buyer and ask him to check with his local post office ( you have already done this ) and neighbors. As far as you are concerned, tracking shows the item was delivered. Keep communications factual and polite, but personally I wouldnt refund.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

As the tracking is saying delivered you are covered by ebays MBG and paypal. There is nothing more you can do. Your buyer is the only one who has to chase it up as it has been delivered. You are not obligated to refund. I would protect yourself though and take a screenshot of the tracking details and save it.

Just be aware though the buyer could leave you negative feedback but I'm sure if this was to happen and you complain to ebay it would be removed

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for your responses guys.

They are very much appreciated. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

did the tracking say delivered or carded, then you can talk to the buyer wth this info.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It was "Delivered" as opposed to carded i.e. "Awaiting collection". 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply