listing violation for using "like Dr Martens"

I have had a listing removed as I had put "like Dr Martens" in the listing - I'm fine with that if thats the rule, however I was looking at other listings and found one that said similar to Doc Martens - how is this different?

thanks

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unless they are actually Doc Martens then you cannot use the term "Doc Martens" at all. Brands view this as infringement because you are using their name to sell an item that isn't theirs, which compromises the reputation of that brand.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

They just haven't been caught yet.

You can't say something is "like" something else (when it may vary substantially in quality) even if it looks like the well known brand. It's considered misleading.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

because DOC Martens isn't the actual brand name

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

It is not different. As jbd said, they have not been caught (or reported) yet.

Some time ago a member here said that eBay had removed a listing with a swap card with a black boy that was a golliwog, although this person had not even mentioned the word golliwog in the listing, but someone recognized the boy and reported the listing. He said that there were many other listings that even mentioned the word (like books), but... they had not been reported yet. It is not different.

As for using trademark names, yes, I have heard it is against the rules if the items are just imitations or similar. Even words like Velcro should be avoided, even if we often use the word in normal conversations.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

No different they just havent being picked up on it yet

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Unless they are actually Doc Martens then you cannot use the term "Doc Martens" at all. Brands view this as infringement because you are using their name to sell an item that isn't theirs, which compromises the reputation of that brand.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

She had actually said they were similar to ("like") Doc Martens, not really Doc Martens , but some time ago I read that apart from copyright considerations etc., the problem is that some people use big brands in their listings (in comparisons) so that their items are easier to find (and cheaper than the original items). I don't know how many "ugly sweaters" are called Coogi-like or Coogi-style on eBay and elsewhere for example...

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Ebay Policy

Brand name misuse
You may not use brand names in your listing if the product isn't manufactured by or compatible with that brand. You may use "compatible with," "fits," or "for" before a brand name if the item you are describing is specifically designed to be compatible with the products of that brand.

Examples

• A generic case made for an iPhone uses the brand name "Apple".
  • Listing an adidas shoe and adding the brand name "Nike".
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

You may use "compatible with," "fits," or "for" before a brand name if the item you are describing is specifically designed to be compatible with the products of that brand.

And yet  'compatible with' and 'to be used with'  got my listings taken down.

CS wouldn't argue the point, even after pointing out their own policy.

Sales have plummeted because I can't use the brand name.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Brand  infringement are on eBay by the hundreds, look under party invitation which most are digital delivered which is also a breach of the eBay policy. eBay  choose not to notice because they make money from it.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply