managed payments and eBay returns flawed - sellers be warned

cft207
Community Member

Just a heads up for sellers in regard to flaws with eBay current managed payments and returns processing.

First time I have ever experienced this issue after MANY years.

$460 new item sold Sunday 8th August 2021.
Buyer paid same day
Courier despatch con note generated and uploaded to eBay on 8th, with parcel picked up by couriers on 9th.

NSW to NSW delivery , to a more remote coastal area. Sending from lockdown area and to a lockdown area however I note couriers are all still working as usual, with carriers stating covid delays on website, as do Aus. Post.

Buyer opened eBay not received case 21st August.
I left multiple messages with all links to courier tracking number - which showed the progressive scans of item still in transit. According to online tracking the item was never lost or missing.

Item was onboard for delivery 26th August, which is the same day eBay refunded buyer all $460 in total and closed the case !

Speaking with eBay I am told the "system" automatically closed the case, but before that the eBay rep on phone IMMEDIATELY, and without looking , said "PayPal have closed that case in favour of buyer so it is out of our hands"

PayPal had nothing to do with the case as it was all via managed payments. I told them this, they checked and then agreed that was the case.

So then seller/s are off on the time wasting journey of opening appeals, support chats and further phone calls,  and then IF successful I'm told a further 48 hours before receiving moneys back....which is right where I am now.

The flawed "system" doesn't seem to verify anything in regard to tracking numbers and/or sellers messages.

Along the way the buyer never replied to approx 5 messages sent.

This NEVER happened when processing via Paypal given they had a more thorough process of confirmation.

eBay wants to manage everything ....labels, payments, refunds etc....BUT THEY CAN'T DO IT PROPERLY.

So, sellers please be diligent, although at this stage I don't know if there's any work around for me.

I am considering if and when moneys sent back to managed payment account it could very well be near 1 month from time I sold the item and sent it, to when the the payment will actually be in my bank account......some "management"

Also a  bit rough considering current covid delays that they don't even bother to check their own item sold page tracking numbers before making refunds to like this. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

After reading this, something occurred to me - make sure that you haven't been opted in for "Guaranteed Delivery".

When it first came out a while ago, I opted out and everything was fine for ages, but then I recently had a buyer open a case on the day an item was onboard for delivery and I had to wait several days for resolution. I did discover, to my horror, that Ebay had quietly opted me back in to Guaranteed Delivery which had allowed the buyer had opened the case, even though I had sent with tracking and within my handling time! 

So, double check that you are opted and out and perhaps extend your handling time by a couple of days.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Where do you opt out of guaranteed delivery? Don't think I spotted that

Signatures suck.
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I think in the settings somewhere. I did it a while ago, so not exactly sure, and Ebay are always moving things around!

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

I just remembered that I found the setting in my Postage preferences, however it is not there now (for me anyway)

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks.

I hope not as I have never had anything to do with that before.

Already approx 10 mouse clicks in and I can't find where they may have hidden that little gem.
...and that's probably 8 more mouse clicks than what it would take someone monitoring refunds to check tracking numbers.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

The new 3 day automated  INR  process, is not part of or tied to  managed payments, so the result would have been the same  if you were still on paypal payments.

It is now an automated system, that after 3 days finds in the buyers favor, unless  tracking details have been uploaded   AND   the shipment shows at least 1 valid  tracking event.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Hello, thanks for the note.

In my circumstance the correct tracking number was uploaded to ebay day of payment and booking of couriers, even before it was first scanned when picked up, with subsequent scans visible with online tracking throughout journey and delivery. Therefore showing multiple tracking events.

Ironically I see that the very courier firm I sent with has been part of eBays most recent advertising and promotions, with the adverts showing on eBay summary pages at same time I am discussing with them why they don't even check a tracking number before processing a refund.

The INR is related to the new managed payment system as it is that system that transfers, holds or returns the moneys corresponding to the open case. I disagree that similar issues processed the old way with PayPal would be the same as PayPal had more checks and balances allowing for a case to proceed a duration at least long enough to allow delivery.
I am now awaiting return of the payment however managed payments did not stop from withdrawing funds to cover the refund DURING the 48 hours I was told I was having the refunded moneys returned to me.

It is my opinion , and as I see that of others now experiencing similar, that a system that functioned reasonably well for some years has been replaced by one less functional.

If you are indeed defending this new means of processing then please ensure reply or advice is accurate as I did explain tracking number situation in original post, and again, it is in no way the same processing as if done with PayPal prior. 

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

This is the information eBay was privy to :

buyer paid 8th August via managed payments ( when issue arose eBay at very first mention tried to wash their hands and say "PayPal processed that so we can't do anything" ) 

con note generated and uploaded to ebay Sunday 8th August 

online tracking :

10 Aug 2021 1:15 pm Your Parcel Has been Picked Up
10 Aug 2021 3:41 pm Your parcel is in transit
18 Aug 2021 12:42 pm Your parcel is in transit
24 Aug 2021 2:59 pm Your parcel has been accepted in sydney Depot
26 Aug 2021 8:21 am Your parcel is on-board for delivery
27 Aug 2021 12:00 am 1 item has been delivered. Note:3589409

Buyer opened INR 21st August , amidst obvious tracking updates.
Buyer receives approximately 5 messages from us explaining courier delays, tracking page links and parcel movement updates.

eBay gave buyer full refund 27th August, same day item delivered.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply