many sellers have more than one a/c but do you need a different email and bank a/c to do this

many sellers have more than one selling account and as my wardrobe is not emptying out fast enough with only 40 listings per month, i am considering a second account if i can manage all that listing (very slow internet makes for snails pace pics upload and an hour spent per listing give or take) but i dont have a second email/ bank acc. can i use the same one for both selling accounts and will ebay get miffed at my attempt to sell on more than one account using only the 40 free listings etc?

i expect i am sounding ignorant with this enquirey but until recently i was happy to doddle along but after a thorough investigation of my  possessions, i realize i havent got enough years left to accomplish the "selling" task, no one does, i dont know where it all came from but its THERE and needs to GO. The money wouldnt hurt either just quietly ๐Ÿ™‚

any offers of advice (apart from those telling me where to go- trust me, ive been there) would be appreciated greatly. i am computer challenged beyond all belief and prefer to be told the pitfalls rather than discover them for myself (if there are any) and end up with my hand around a bottle of gin trying to cope with the inevitable ebay listing gremlins.

thank you kjm

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: many sellers have more than one a/c but do you need a different email and bank a/c to do this

You will need a different email address, but you can use all the same financial information and accounts. There are a few web-based email accounts that are quite quick and easy to set up so that you can get a new address.

One other thing to keep in mind is eBay / PayPal's current hold on payments associated with new accounts - check out the "21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU" thread for more info and advice on dealing with PayPal to get funds a little sooner (in some cases - an established selling account should put you in good stead). 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Re: many sellers have more than one a/c but do you need a different email and bank a/c to do this

@c15caterpilla wrote:

many sellers have more than one selling account and as my wardrobe is not emptying out fast enough with only 40 listings per month, i am considering a second account if i can manage all that listing (very slow internet makes for snails pace pics upload and an hour spent per listing give or take) but i dont have a second email/ bank acc. can i use the same one for both selling accounts and will ebay get miffed at my attempt to sell on more than one account using only the 40 free listings etc?

i expect i am sounding ignorant with this enquirey but until recently i was happy to doddle along but after a thorough investigation of my  possessions, i realize i havent got enough years left to accomplish the "selling" task, no one does, i dont know where it all came from but its THERE and needs to GO. The money wouldnt hurt either just quietly ๐Ÿ™‚

any offers of advice (apart from those telling me where to go- trust me, ive been there) would be appreciated greatly. i am computer challenged beyond all belief and prefer to be told the pitfalls rather than discover them for myself (if there are any) and end up with my hand around a bottle of gin trying to cope with the inevitable ebay listing gremlins.

thank you kjm

IMO, take it or leave it it is JMO, there comes a point when you are no longer a "hobby" seller and need to start think about operating as a business seller, before you are seriously exposing yourself to be hit with a tax bill for income not declared as eBay reporting requirements to the ATO are only appear to be getting more rigorous.  

The range of sizes in your current listing indicate that you may need to give consideration to a broad range of matters connected with your selling. 

Whilst you might be selling for family members and friends as well as yourself, thats none of my business of course, nonetheless my advice to others considering selling stuff for timeframes longer than occassionally is to ensure that they do not expose themselves to any possible income tax ramifications (or Centrelink ramifications too) of selling on eBay regularly in a manner that may be viewed as more than selling a few personal possessions ....OR not.  I think there comes a time when their level of trading means that sellers should give consideration to the tax benefits which may offset their eBay and other earnings favourably, if they give these matters some time and thought, benefits could potentially include offsetting the costs to open a store or not, Cat Wink 

May not apply to you though, of course.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

You can have as many different accounts as you like, but you must have a separate email address for each one.

I have 8 accounts because i sell for quite a few different people and didn't want all their stuff using up my 40 free listings.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Just be careful, you are allowed multiple accounts but each one needs to list a different category (don''t double up).

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

why don't you open a Ebay store ?

Only $50 a month 500 listings.

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

You will need a different email address, but you can use all the same financial information and accounts. There are a few web-based email accounts that are quite quick and easy to set up so that you can get a new address.

One other thing to keep in mind is eBay / PayPal's current hold on payments associated with new accounts - check out the "21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU" thread for more info and advice on dealing with PayPal to get funds a little sooner (in some cases - an established selling account should put you in good stead). 

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you for the info. Ive read a bit re this new 21 day holding **bleep** and do wonder how legal it really is.... that one little new rule is enough to make me reconsider a 2nd account. I dont cope with idiotic rules disguised as legally viable principals and ebay is fraught with them, common sense long gone on holidays, never to return!!! may just stick with what i have, simpler albeit longer process ๐Ÿ™‚

klm

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Basic Store is only $20 month and 200 listings.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

For non store sellers occasionly ebay give us 150 free listings , normally happens on a thursday, but never know which week.most of us have to come to the forum to get the link, someone is always kind enough to put it on ,as we don't get an email. So keep an eye out.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@c15caterpilla wrote:

thank you kjm

IMO, take it or leave it it is JMO, there comes a point when you are no longer a "hobby" seller and need to start think about operating as a business seller, before you are seriously exposing yourself to be hit with a tax bill for income not declared as eBay reporting requirements to the ATO are only appear to be getting more rigorous.  

The range of sizes in your current listing indicate that you may need to give consideration to a broad range of matters connected with your selling. 

Whilst you might be selling for family members and friends as well as yourself, thats none of my business of course, nonetheless my advice to others considering selling stuff for timeframes longer than occassionally is to ensure that they do not expose themselves to any possible income tax ramifications (or Centrelink ramifications too) of selling on eBay regularly in a manner that may be viewed as more than selling a few personal possessions ....OR not.  I think there comes a time when their level of trading means that sellers should give consideration to the tax benefits which may offset their eBay and other earnings favourably, if they give these matters some time and thought, benefits could potentially include offsetting the costs to open a store or not, Cat Wink 

May not apply to you though, of course.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

You can have as many different accounts as you like, but you must have a separate email address for each one.

I have 8 accounts because i sell for quite a few different people and didn't want all their stuff using up my 40 free listings.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Just be careful, you are allowed multiple accounts but each one needs to list a different category (don''t double up).

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you for the tax advice young man but i hardly make enough for the tax man to be concerned with me and youre right, my sales / income isnt your concern but for the record, a large proportion of what i have currently listed DOES actually belong to a mate who is more computer challenged than i am!! The rest is over 40yrs of collecting, shopping and acquiring and if the tax man wants a share of it, he is more than welcome to come over, preferably before i die and pick out whatever dresses suit him.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the headache i may be heading for simply by selling dresses i have owned for so long i forgot i had some of them. Perhaps i should leave it all to the tax dept in my will instead of selling items  i bought with what was left after mr tax man took his original cut. :):):) LOL. what a rort eh?

thanks again & kind regards kjm

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply