negative feeback and feedback extortion

Hi

would appreciate some advice - 

I rarely have trouble with buyers - if I make a mistake i refund, if I haven't I let it go to dispute, which has occured maybe 3 times in 5 years,  and sometimes ebay even finds in my favour

Recently had a dreadful buyer, right from the get go launched into a diatribe of abuse, threatening negative feedback if I didn't give her a refund immediately etc etc. It was clear from a number of her comments she had not read the description at all

got CS involved - she was reproted for abuse and for feedback extrotion

As I couldnt' have a rationale conversation with her, it went to dispute and ebay  found in her favour. which was disappointing but not at all unexpected

However she has left negative feedback and a rant

First off - and obviously I have got this wrong - I thought the option to leave feedback was removed when you went to dispute?

Second of all - surely it's not appropriate she can leave feedback when she threatned feedback extortion  was reported for feedback extortion?

What are my chances of getting the feedback removed - if any?

She made a number of inaccurate statements in her feedback. 

It would be absolutely pointless asking her to revise it.

Is there even an option to have feedback removed any longer?

Any advice?

thanks so much

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

A dispute does not negate feedback leaving.

If the feedback makes any mention of a dispute you can possibly get it deleted. You would need to contact eBay, however. Have all your ducks in a row.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Jmo... There are three sides to every story on the boards.

What the seller says happened.

What the buyer says happened.

What really happened.

Again jmo...

When a buyer is displeased with their item to avoid "dispute" etc. their is only message to send...

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your item...please return for a full refund.

Rinse & repeat if necessary.

Yes of course you "have got this wrong". If you were correct you would not have the neg.

Without knowing what the buyer said in their first message it is very hard to comment further.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for your advice

For the record, a small portion of her message...

' Don’t lie. You know the difference, or are you an an idiot? You WILL refund my money. I will be asking eBay and PayPal to do so. And i will be leaving a negative review if you don’t.'

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

You ma be able to have the neg removed if you point eBay to that message.

The thing is what did you say to provoke that response?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

that was her tone right from the get go - her very first message accused me of being a liar and a cheat. My first reply was something along the lines of "I'm so sorry  you are less than delighted. I do however need to point out that your concerns are covered in the description - ( for example she complained that the size label was damaged and that I was  probably trying to sell a fake garment - I pointed out that I had noted in 3 separate places in  the description that the size label had partially come away.  her biggest concern was that the dress was "faded"  it was not faded - the flash had made the dress look brighter  in the first picture- also noted in the description. Also some of the photos were stock photos and the pattern placement varied, again noted in the description)  I 'm not claiming to be faultless, but it was pretty difficulty to have a rationale conversation with her.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Just to be perfectly clear - what do you mean by "Photos are stock. If worried about actual pattern placement please contact me". Are any of the photos of your actual item?

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Going by the feedback left, this looks more like a classic problem buyer.

The dress purchased looks lovely in the pictures; several pictures on a mannequin and most likely one stock photo of a real person wearing it. The description is also very clear as to what type of dress one is buying.

If you look at the pictures, the "fading" the buyer is having a rant over is part of the dress itself. It goes from a full floral pattern bodice to fading into a white skirt.

If the buyer has already been reported for feedback extortion, recorded by Customer Service, that should have been a reason for feedback removal, let alone in the rant the buyer mentions E-bays involvement.

The seller should contact customer service again (and probably again and again as often as necessary) quoting the above, until the feedback is removed and the seller should also keep at E-Bay to have the refund reversed.

This is going to be a battle in itself, but definitely worth the effort, considering E-bay generally applies their own policies based on the full moon or the moon on the wane !

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Just for future reference it is always good to mention that a stock photo is used and may differ from the item at the top that way there is less problems with buyers. But it is not guaranteed as some buyers don't read descriptions at all. I have a current chargeback with a buyer with an item they claim I sent the wrong one and funny thing is ebay must have got them to send it back and it matches the pictures and still they want a full refund including postage.  All this for a $14 item.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I think you did strike a rude and difficult buyer in some respects, going on what she wrote in a private message to you. The dress itself looks lovely and you may be able to get the feedback removed as she does mention winning a dispute.

However, I think she was genuinely furious and I have to tell you, if I saw that feedback as a potential future buyer, I would look at the ad and I'd be inclined to take notice of her comments because she has some relevant points.

1. If you are selling a high end designer frock second hand, I think it is fair enough to expect all the photos to be of the actual garment.

You mentioned a few times in your ad the photos were stock and to contact you if wanting to see the actual pattern placement. 

From that description, I would not even be sure if any of the photos were of the actual garment. I am assuming some are, but I think you introduced an element of doubt over even that.

2. The pattern placement matters!!!

Stop asking people to message you if they have any questions about pattern placement and just make sure your photos clearly show it and that customers know that the photos are of the article in your possession.

In your position, tempting as it is to add the photos of the model (which I am assuming are the only stock photos?) I would probably leave those out because the pattern placement is very different. Or of you really want to include one, mention in your ad such as-Attention, photo of model in frock is a stock photo to show how the dress may look when on but see actual item photos for pattern placement on the item I am selling.

3. You say the lady was disappointed in that the colours looked faded but you mentioned in the ad that the flash made colours look brighter than they actually were. I can't see any such mention. Maybe I have overlooked it, but I can't see anything like that.

4. You mention the dress has a V shaped back but one of your photos has the V showing at the front of the mannequin, whereas all others showed a rounded neckline. It would have been better to photograph the back of the mannequin if that is where the V goes. Again, it confused me as you had said they were stock photos in the ad so i even wondered if it was the same frock I was seeing.

To sum up, I think you have some great items but I also think you need to use your own photos only or at least spell out which are stock and which are not I'd avoid stock photos on items that have a completely different pattern placement and I'd aim to have colours reasonably accurate in photos or else mention it.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply