postage flat rate

Hi, some clarification on a previous postage question. My listings are all showing postage at the flat rate by eBay. I know that this only applies to items that weigh up to 1kg. over that is cubed. Buyers are only seeing the flat rate and paying accordingly.  I have already cancelled one sale and asked buyer to wait for a new invoice with the correct postage.

I contacted eBay and was told to put in the dimensions and weight which I had already done and when buyers purchase and post code is known eBay would  automatically calculate and put in the correct postage.I tried this , and the flat rate still shows on my listings. I have now had to review all my listings and and add "Please do not pay till I invoice you as postage shown is only an estimate" 

I use satchels when I can, but most of my parcels do not fit in the satchels. Tried to find the cubic postage on the Aus. Post site and that still comes up with the flat rate "using your own packaging with charges according to weight." which only applies up to 1kg. in weight and not clearly shown.

Update on a previous query where a buyer paid $15.35 postage and parcel was cubed at $41. I cancelled sale and refunded as I did not think anyone would pay that amount for postage on a $30. item. Buyer contacted me and said that they would pay the new postage.I was suprised but proceeded with the sale and buyer was very happy with their purchase, so all ended well.

Thank you for your advice and help which is always appreciated. Patricia.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

postage flat rate

To find postage rates for you own packaging on the Australia Post website, you need to put in the postcodes from and to, and then when you get options, look for the red arrow on the right that says "features and options"  click on that to find out about using your own packaging.  With your listings it sounds like you are quoting flat rate, which means you have to put in the amount. If you choose "calculated"  and put in the size and weight of your parcel, then it is all calculated for you, on all sizes and weights. It goes by the buyer's location. In othere words if you have an item listed over the kilo, then someone viewing your listing living in the same state as you, will be seeing a different postage rate, than someone else across the country. They will pay the correct postage to their location. As for the ones under 500grams, they go anywhere in Australia for $8.95 and up to a kilo go for $12.20. Packages are still measured the same way as for a box, heiight, width and length. I use my own boxes, and print my own labels, so easy when using "calculated postage"  So easy to just drop the parcel in to the Post Office, get a receipt (proof of postage) and the tracking number is automatically uploaded to eBay when you print the parcel. As well, as you get a small discount on the postage for printing you own label.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

A satchel weighing up to 5kg is $9.20 from AP sent anywhere in AU, you can place a box in it as long as it fits.

@shoppingbag* wrote:

To find postage rates for you own packaging on the Australia Post website, you need to put in the postcodes from and to, and then when you get options, look for the red arrow on the right that says "features and options"  click on that to find out about using your own packaging.  With your listings it sounds like you are quoting flat rate, which means you have to put in the amount. If you choose "calculated"  and put in the size and weight of your parcel, then it is all calculated for you, on all sizes and weights. It goes by the buyer's location. In othere words if you have an item listed over the kilo, then someone viewing your listing living in the same state as you, will be seeing a different postage rate, than someone else across the country. They will pay the correct postage to their location. As for the ones under 500grams, they go anywhere in Australia for $8.95 and up to a kilo go for $12.20. Packages are still measured the same way as for a box, heiight, width and length. I use my own boxes, and print my own labels, so easy when using "calculated postage"  So easy to just drop the parcel in to the Post Office, get a receipt (proof of postage) and the tracking number is automatically uploaded to eBay when you print the parcel. As well, as you get a small discount on the postage for printing you own label.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

postage flat rate

Pat, I’m not sure what you mean.   The calculated postage is working on your listings, e.g. on VINTAGE JUGS X 4  the postage shows $31.15 to 4570 and $20.80 to 3000.  

I definitely would not have the phrase about the postage not being correct in your listings, I think this is very off-putting to buyers.  

I have mentioned this to you before, but here goes, why don’t you take advantage of the flat rate Bx4 boxes postage?   That way you could offer $20 say, Australia wide for parcels up to 5kg

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

Thank you for your input. My items are mainly china and glassware. Most parcels are double boxed and extra packaging so will not fit into satchels.I do use satchels when boxes fit as that is a convenient  and the cheapest way to go. 

I can get the correct postage when I manually put in the buyers post code. By that time it is too late as the buyer has paid instantly and used the postage that eBay have shown. This is usually $18-$20. If the parcel is large and weighs 2kgs when cubed and posted from Melbourne to Perth postage would be much higher than the eBay amount shown..eBay consumer servicee told me that if I ticked "calculate" and put in dimensions and weight postage would be automatically adjusted. This does not happen. I have had to refund the buyers payment and send  a new invoice. They might decide to not buy as postage is too high, so I lose the sale.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

contact HELP & have eBay ring you back....voice your concern & see what is advised
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

@pats_treasures wrote:

Thank you for your input. My items are mainly china and glassware. Most parcels are double boxed and extra packaging so will not fit into satchels.I do use satchels when boxes fit as that is a convenient  and the cheapest way to go. 

I can get the correct postage when I manually put in the buyers post code. By that time it is too late as the buyer has paid instantly and used the postage that eBay have shown. This is usually $18-$20. If the parcel is large and weighs 2kgs when cubed and posted from Melbourne to Perth postage would be much higher than the eBay amount shown..eBay consumer servicee told me that if I ticked "calculate" and put in dimensions and weight postage would be automatically adjusted. This does not happen. I have had to refund the buyers payment and send  a new invoice. They might decide to not buy as postage is too high, so I lose the sale.

Either I expressed myself very badly or we have a complete mis-understanding.

1.   I said the calculated postage is working - and you say it's not - even though you can see that it is if you change the postcode.   So it should be impossible for the buyer to pay incorrect postage.

2.   Are you using ebay label postage?   It usually works out a bit cheaper for parcels.    

3.  I said to use Bx4 boxes and you say your items will not fit into satchels (?).    I agree that china needs to be boxed and the Bx4 box is a box.

4.  Please do not keep cancelling and refunding -  eventually you will get a defect and I am surprised it hasn't affected your selling already.    If the buyer pays for too much postage, you can always refund the excess.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

A satchel weighing up to 5kg is $9.20 from AP sent anywhere in AU, you can place a box in it as long as it fits.

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

@curraone wrote:

2.   Are you using ebay label postage?   It usually works out a bit cheaper for parcels.    

Not anymore for satchels or the B boxes as they are the same price as AP with no discount given.

So eBay would now pocket the discount that used to be given to the seller.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

Are you sure that your Post Office is quoting you the correct prices? In the past some (franchise) Post Offices have been caught out for overcharging. Why not just print eBay labels and then whatever is charged, the parcel will go through.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

postage flat rate

I have seen people struggling at the post office trying to squash a box into a satchel, rarely with success.  It might work for some, but I don't send heavy items, so in my case it would be an added cost and inconvenience to me to be buying satchels when none of them would fit my boxes anyway. Does a B4 box fit into any of the satchels? Maybe ok if you are selling lead sinkers or some such thing.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply