re-stocking fee from refund

Hello there Can anyone help me regarding applying a re-stocking fee to a refund (i.e. reducing the refund amount by the stated re-stock fee) eBay advise this can not be done through the new `returns' system.

i dont know why they say `remorse refund will be less original postage and less any nominated re-stocking fee' if it isn't capable of processing this through the system.

Could anyone advise what they have done? Have you found a simple way to action a refund minus re-stock?

Thanks very much!

Jude

PS this is only for change of mind returns - when the item is correct and what was ordered.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: re-stocking fee from refund

Your thoughts are exactly my thoughts about how I understood the system works.

But we have never had to test it to find out if/not it does work as we thought it should do.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

`remorse refund will be less original postage and less any nominated re-stocking fee'

I thought you had to disclose how much your re-stocking fee was in your

returns policy in the listing

I'm searching for ebay's policy on this, but can't find it atm

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Found this -

• If the item was returned for any other reason, the refund amount is the total price minus the original postage cost and your restocking fee (if you had specified one in your return policy).

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/sr?&query=350

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

excuse me for showing my ignorance here but, a re-stocking fee? you have the item back so it is already back in stock is it not?

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

It may be back in stock but you are entitled to recover the cost of the time it took to process the refund, amend your accounting system and returning it to stock. Staff time is a siignificant part of any business and there is no reason a seller should donate thheir time for nothing because a buyer has changed their mind.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I've had a handful of change of mind returns (I can count on one hand), where they were happy just with the refund of purchase price and not postage (all done via messages, no disputes). I thought about adding a 10% restocking fee (my items are lower value), but it worried me that if a buyer thought they'd have to pay an extra fee, they might decide to go the NAD route instead.

I've always been happy to do change of mind returns. I'd rather that and be able to resell it, than them destroy it and claim NAD.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Yes that's right it does say in the eBay policy of `refunds and timelines' that a refund (for change of mind) will be less the original postage and any nominated re-stocking fee' I have a nominated re-stocking fee of 10% which is written in the listing nanner with `returns' `money back less 10% re-stocking fee' There is a place when creating the listing which says `re-stocking fee' and you can nominate 5% 10% 15% and it is then part of the listing.

It is just surprising that after stating this in ebay policy and offering it as an official part of the listing it is not able to be actioned in the returns process - eBay has said I can negoiate directly with  buyer and ask them to accept a re-stocking fee; then process through paypal; then ask buyer to close the refund - just seems ridiculously cubersome and not what eBay say will happen through their own returns procedure.

Thanks!!!!

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Yes you do have to nominate the re-stocking fee in the original listing- so every knows exactly what is applicable- I have done this . It says on my listings 7 day refund 10% re-stocking fee applies.

It is just that it doesn't give an option other than refunding the original purchase price when a return is processed.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

This is my first time too- thats why I was so surprised that according to eBay its not able to be actually done- even though they state it as what should happen- they just dont enable their sftware/process to do it!!!
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply