return of items

Can anyone guide me in the right direction, i posted off two perfectly in good condition winter jackets to have buyer request a full refund with return postage at my cost. These jackets were in good condition one being brand new and never worn, to be told its creased and faded (not true) i'm suggesting it possibly isnt buyers size. the other jacket she has picked a hole in a pocket lining. When listed i have never put returns accepted, i feel like ive been set up. one jacket was $9.03 the other $5.50 and were listed seperately and buyer won both and then asked me to discount and combine postage which i did cap at $20 postage and handling for a 5kg pre paid trackable satchel. to be generous i went into accept the return only to find out i have to pay for return postage and i have already paid a $1.20 paypal fee as well massively out of pocket this is not what i expect when selling on ebay for the years that i have. Has anyone got any advice as this is the first time ive had an issue.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

return of items

When you state NO RETURNS ACCEPTED in your listing this ONLY relates to returns for buyer remorse reasons.

ie the buyer made some kind of error that is not your fault. And you need to have captured this in communications between you and the buyer in ebay messages.

If their stated reason for the return blames you (ie they say something is wrong with the product) then you have little choice but to accept the return. In this case if you want the item back you then MUST cover their return postage.

Your only other choice is to 100% refund the buyer without the return of the item. ie they keep it and get all their money back.

If the buyer claims something is wrong with the product then it's very difficult to prove to ebay that the buyer is lying.

Unless your description and photos clearly refute what they are saying.

Ebay will pretty much blindly accept whatever the buyer says.

Have they opened a formal case against you yet?

If not, then perhaps some very diplomatic discussion might be able to resolve the issue with a partial refund agreed.

If they have already opened a formal case then I'm afraid it's going to be quite difficult for you to win.

**edit**

Sorry I see they have already opened a formal case.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

imastawka
Honored Contributor

On a side note............. aome of your auctions start at 1 cent!!

That's insanity!   

You already sold something for 1c and free postage!!!!

Start them at a price you would be happy to accept if you only get one bid.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

welcome to the pitfalls of selling clothes on ebay

so many sellers come here with exactly the same problem as yours

you would be far better selling at car boot sales, then you can tell people once they buy it theres no bringing it back.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

welcome to the pitfalls of selling clothes on ebay

In all my years selling on ebay I have only ever had 2 buyers dishonestly try and get a refund, The first one was before sellers had to cover returns and eventually I won out in the Paypal dispute. The secnd was unfortunately just before I was shutting up shop to return to the UK so I just provided the label and got the goods back. The buyer had actually used doctored photos so had I not been leaving I would have taken it to the absolute end in order to get my money back but for less than thirty bucks it was not worth spending the time trying to pursue this from the other side of the world.

My point is that I have had virtiually no problems selling clothes on ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

I would bet you are right about the jackets not fitting or else just not looking right on her. Buyer remorse.

If she only paid $5.50 for a jacket and found a small hole in the pocket lining, this isn't something others can see, it doesn't affect the look of the jacket so the logical thing would be to get out the cotton & thread and sew it up. If you liked the jacket.

But for sure, I believe you would lose a case. She only has to show a photo of the small hole & you're probably done for.

Let's see.

It sounds as if you have 3 choices.

* Pay for return postage. Yep, you will lose massively as you will have paid $40 postage plus fees all for nothing. But at least you'll have your items back & she will not have gained.

* Refund her in full but let her keep the items. That would save you $20 but it leaves her with free items.

* Had a case not been opened, you could have offered to refund half her purchase cost to reimburse for her 'disappointment'. Probably cheapest way out.

But.. if the jackets aren't the right fit, she would not be interested in option 3 anyway which is probably why she has opened a case.

If it were me, I would have a think about the items, their condition & how much they cost originally etc (I can't see them so i can't help here).

My inclination would be to get them back. Pay the $20 and get them back.

Then relist the new jacket, but don't mess around, relist it at a starting price of at least $20

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

you must also be aware that a large number of threads here are indeed about buyers making claims of various things being wrong with clothes they bought and how the seller was left out of pocket in the end. feeling ebay just blindly believes the buyer.

often the seller loses the money and the item.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

If she paid via Paypal, suggest that she use Paypal refunded returns (and send her the link). Paypal thus pay postage.

I've done this a couple of times and buyers have been happy with this solution.

It lessens the pain (somewhat)

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

I have to agree with you all the years I have been selling only 2 returns and both my fault,one I put wrong size buyer refunded and went on to sell it for a far better price,other was measurement mistake refunded buyer resold and sent me back my postage cost.I feel most buyers are honest but you will always get the whingers and scammers.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

return of items

ditto had few blatent scammers,.

having change of mind returns can also head of buyers falsely claining, or even damaging items in order to return, most claimed dameaged items are in hindsight often obvious.

My stock costs are low so returns is usually not cost effective, . If I do loose out on something its all swings and roundabouts. 

Often we too stressed out about things that are just not of great enough $$ to be worth it,.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply