selling slow

I have been aaway for 2 mths and have been back for 4 weeks. Is it just me or has ebay slowed down for everyone. Im not getting interest in anything and I have another site as well

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

selling slow

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There have been threads on the boards for many months complaining about how slow everthing is.

Occasionally a seller will have a few good weeks but it usually slows right down again.

All you can do is wait it out and hope for an improvement....like everyone else.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

A few sellers are doing OK, but most are finding sales slow at the moment.

Personally my figures are not far off of average, but it just seems to be a tough grind at the moment. Sales are coming in spits and spurts. Two or three miserable days then a couple of very good days. I had two days last week when I sold nothing over three accounts ( around 2000 listings ) and then had a blinder of a day on Sunday which took most of Monday to pack. This brought my weekly sales right up to average.........Go Figure

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

I've been hammered this last 2 weeks with the current promotion. I've sold more in the last 2 weeks than I have all year. I don't expect it to last but loving it while it lasts.

This thread would have been better posted on the selling forum. More people see it there.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

I seem to be in ebays naughty corner at the moment. I used to have a lot of success with freebie promotions, but havnt been able to access them for quite a few months now. The latest one that you posted on the selling forum would have been very nice. 

Oh well I will console myself by saying I havnt got the time to list at the moment as the sheep all have lambs and the wild winter weather is keeping me busy making sure they all stay as warm as possible and well fed.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

Oh the joys of being a farmer in this wild winter weather.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

I don't get lambing in winter, especially where I live. Hundreds die every night due to cold. Then the farmers whinge because of their losses. It's cruel. Sheep can be lambed whenever you like. They come into oestrus when they are joined with a ram, so you can plan it whenever you like. It's surprising how many around here shear in winter and then complain about the losses. We've got a sheep graziers warning current tonight and there are newborns all over the place. It makes me sad.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I don't get lambing in winter, especially where I live. Hundreds die every night due to cold. Then the farmers whinge because of their losses. It's cruel. Sheep can be lambed whenever you like. They come into oestrus when they are joined with a ram, so you can plan it whenever you like. It's surprising how many around here shear in winter and then complain about the losses. We've got a sheep graziers warning current tonight and there are newborns all over the place. It makes me sad.

I do agree with you that many sheep breeds should not be lambed in the middle of winter. It is mainly inexperienced, part time or hobby farmers who do this as besides the welfare issues, it is simply not ecenomical for proffesional, commercial farmers to have lambs dying due to exposure.

Unfortunately not all breeds mate when we choose. I mainly run pure bred white suffolks due to their natural ability to withstand cold conditions. These are British breed sheep that have developed body fats etc over thousands of years to withstand icy winds, a bit like a polar bear. 

These sheep have a very limited breeding season with oestrus dictated by day length. They will not normally cycle until day length starts to reduce after the longest day in January, giving a lambing of around June 1st - end of September. Introducing rams earlier will not prompt early oestrus. This breed of sheep and their lambs normally have no problems lambing in cold weather as they are naturally adapted for it, but pure bred ewes are not commercially available. The only reason I have large numbers of these is that I ran a stud for many years.

A September lambing would see lambs being born in the grass seed season and still young when weather heats up in October / November. This can be just as deadly for lambs as cold weather and young lambs can be susceptible to stunted growth on dry summer feed and fly strike over the summer months, particualerly if affected by grass seeds. The grass seeds also get in small lambs eyes which is very painful for the lamb..

Fortunately this year we had an exceptional summer with green feed right through the summer season. This upset the white Suffolks natural breeding cycle with the result that most lambed by the end of May.

I also run Dorper sheep which do lamb all year around. These lambed in April early May in ideal conditions.

So when I say I have lambs, they are actually quite big now and it is time to tail dock them and tag them. All lambs must be tagged with a coded / registered tag before they can be sold commercialy. This is to enable property tracking if Australia ever has an outbreak of disease such as foot and mouth. Intestinal worms are also a problem during the cold wet weather. I am flat out injecting long acting drenches to keep the ewes clean through the coming months. 

All up a very busy time of the year.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

April/May isn't a bad time because they've built themselves up a bit before the real cold starts. Sadly, it's the large commercial farmers around here that lamb in winter. I don't know why because their profits go with them. Some use the survival of the fittest theory, which to me is utterly ridiculous.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

selling slow

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member
There have been more and more foreign sellers changing item location to Australia, even though it is shipped from overseas. Doing this results in their listings showing as local sellers. The result is obvious.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply