what percentage do others take selling clothes for other people ?

Hi People of EBay,

I have been selling clothes and many other items for friends & friends of friends for quite a few years now.

Currently I take 50% + ebay fees from each sale.

As every item is different I spend a fair bit of time researching the brand, photographing and measuring. Also sometimes having to launder items to make them sellable, and of course store them in my home, which takes up space.

It's a fair bit of work, which I generally enjoy.

Recently a lady I know, lets call her Daisy brought me 20 good items to sell,

having previously discussed fees with her.

Today I confirm my fees, and Daisy messages me saying she's "disappointed and was under the impression it was a flat 50%"

I have already started listing her items, and feel slightly undervalued.

I pay ebay fees on postage + final sale price.

Should I return all her items, and stick with the people who are just happy to earn some extra cash ?

What do other people do ?

cheers

m

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: what percentage do others take selling clothes for other people ?

Milania GIF - Find on GIFER

Then I refer you to the last line of my post, Honourable Member for Nitpicking

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

I agree with the last line of your post.

We still having that drink after we rise?

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Of course.

To be continued at Dave's Bar

pub.gif

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Of course.

pub.gif

I loved my bar. Like all good things it has been overtaken by the times.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

Can we all head over to tucks bar

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Of course.

pub.gif

I loved my bar. Like all good things it has been overtaken by the times.

The bus trip was epic!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

@instylecollectables wrote:

Can we all head over to tucks bar

My son has a pub here in our little country town.

I can't get a free drink...so good luckSmiley Sad

Altough DIL did give my mate & I a free slice of cheescake after our Sunday special lunchSmiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

As it should be no freebies for family members haha

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

I would just say that 50% plus fee's was agreed, delist the items you have put on for her,  and say they are at the front door ready for pickup anytime you feel like it, don't bother knocking.

You don't need to spend time and hassle on clowns who don't stick to agreements.  Get her out of your life and move on

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

You will have to decide if she is still worth working with and going through the angst.

You are the one doing all the work at the moment.

Would she consider coming over and helping you with unpacking, washing, storing, measuring, photographing etc..... if she is ok with that then go ahead, you will get some help, and she will get to appreciate what you have to do before listing anything?  Who knows, you could end up with a working partner, or at the very least she will stop complaining.  

But if not, then would suggest that she is not worth the trouble. 

You will be the one to continue to do all the work, including packing up, and travelling to PO and handling all queries, and returns.

Until she fully understands the "load" and costs involved, she won't appreciate your time and the effort required.

You will continue to feel undervalued and underappreciated.

Sit down and time 1 item from start to finish - minute by minute- also add in packing up and driving time to PO (can use another item for this) you may be surprised how long it takes.

Then design a list of all the things that you do when you receive an item, show all the fees and charges that you will pay. Add on your costs for your space at home, don't forget to include something for your time, packaging goods, petrol, photographs etc....if you lay it all out in an agreement form for you both to sign then she (and you) have no reason to quibble or complain later on. 

You are not doing this as a free service, it is for both of you to make some $'s.

She has had the enjoyment of wearing the item of clothing, sometimes years, and that is a huge category to sell in.

So much clothing is still available in 2nd hand stores most pieces range from $3 -$20.00, depending on quality, style, age, condition etc....

(As an aside we used to sell an item for a lady who stopped selling, and we worked on a 60/40 breakdown. 60 was our cut.) And it was a pain. Once we had finished, made a commitment to my sister never again! 

But your decision, only if you and she are both happy will it work and be smooth running.

Good Luck.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply