when is it best to list an item for sale?

Is it best to list items(I sell vintage clothing) at the beginning of the month?

In my observations I see that most buyers seem to be looking for things around the start of the month.

I also see that eBay is always trying to give special privileges ie no listing or sold fees.. to me later in the month so I will list more items then.

I am not sure if buyers are looking for new items the whole month or if they are looking for mark downs and bargains by the end of the month.

I would love to know what other sellers think about this.

I could list the whole month but I dont want to waste my time.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
10 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I don't sell clothes so I'll leave to to members who do to give their suggestions

All I can say is, I would not list something on a Friday nor to end on a Friday due to Friday being eBay's biggest day for glitches

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

My 2 cents worth - 

Rather than which time of the month I think it is more relevant as to which month sells better than others.

BIN's means you can list for 30 days and I think many buyers especially women buying clothes spur of the moment, don't like to wait until an auction finishes.

Auctions are good for rare items that get 10-20 bidders, otherwise most auctions these days seem to get one bid.

Musts - Good photo's, clear simple description and most important, measurements.

Took a quick look at a few of yours and they look good.

(I would glue an end onto the arms of the dummy even if it's cut-out cardboard to neaten it up)

image host

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

hahahahaha

I go looking at clothes when someone comes to the board and asks a question.  

Currently have a couple of Eggles listings in the ol' watch list  pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

My 2 cents worth as a buyer.......I check out new listings regularly, whenever I have some spare time.

I have a few favourite sellers for the items I buy regularly and I check them out at least weekly if not more often.

If I found that these sellers were only listing at the beginning of the month I would probably not look so often....but I would still be looking for those items.   Sellers who only list once a month could well lose out on selling to me.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

hahahahaha

Currently have a couple of Eggles listings in the ol' watch list  pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

So have I stawks.....and it would not be the first time I have bought from her.  She sells my kind of clothes.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I look at buying things after 6pm every day that are ending soon say within the last hour lol and if I like it I'll bid or buy.

And I check out all new listings after 6pm every day also and if they're an auction and I like it I'll then bid and if it's a BIN and I like it alot I'll buy it.

As a seller I list on a Sunday night and run the auctions for 5 days and with BIN then I list at start of the month and if it doesn't sell then it relists again for another 30 days and so on.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I think regardless of what you are selling eBay is a crazy marketplace, and I don't think there is any set pattern to it, or anyone who uses it. I stopped trying to figure peoples buying patterns out years ago, there simply is no pattern.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply

I sometimes run auctions of similar collectables over 3 days to finish in the evenings, two minutes apart. I prefer Sunday evenings as the finishing time, but do Monday to Thursday evenings as well.

As far as BINS go, items sell regularly throughout the month, including during the day and in the middle of the night, no pattern to it at all. I sell collectables and blokes shed stuff though. What works for me may not apply to womans clothing.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Haha I often hear that sweet cash register ding on hot muggy nights when people can't sleep.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Apparently Sundays have the most sales. 
I would expect weekends would be ideal for Vintage clothing.
Also keep an eye out for weekend seller fee discounts, and other random offers.
They are  listed at the bottom of your "all selling" page.
Sometimes you see them at the top of your selling page as well.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I don't sell clothes so I'll leave to to members who do to give their suggestions

All I can say is, I would not list something on a Friday nor to end on a Friday due to Friday being eBay's biggest day for glitches

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

My 2 cents worth - 

Rather than which time of the month I think it is more relevant as to which month sells better than others.

BIN's means you can list for 30 days and I think many buyers especially women buying clothes spur of the moment, don't like to wait until an auction finishes.

Auctions are good for rare items that get 10-20 bidders, otherwise most auctions these days seem to get one bid.

Musts - Good photo's, clear simple description and most important, measurements.

Took a quick look at a few of yours and they look good.

(I would glue an end onto the arms of the dummy even if it's cut-out cardboard to neaten it up)

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Personally I have never thought there is a 'better' time during the month to list clothing items. 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

hahahahaha

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Feel free to buy.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

My 2 cents worth as a buyer.......I check out new listings regularly, whenever I have some spare time.

I have a few favourite sellers for the items I buy regularly and I check them out at least weekly if not more often.

If I found that these sellers were only listing at the beginning of the month I would probably not look so often....but I would still be looking for those items.   Sellers who only list once a month could well lose out on selling to me.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

hahahahaha

So have I stawks.....and it would not be the first time I have bought from her.  She sells my kind of clothes.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I look at buying things after 6pm every day that are ending soon say within the last hour lol and if I like it I'll bid or buy.

And I check out all new listings after 6pm every day also and if they're an auction and I like it I'll then bid and if it's a BIN and I like it alot I'll buy it.

As a seller I list on a Sunday night and run the auctions for 5 days and with BIN then I list at start of the month and if it doesn't sell then it relists again for another 30 days and so on.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I think regardless of what you are selling eBay is a crazy marketplace, and I don't think there is any set pattern to it, or anyone who uses it. I stopped trying to figure peoples buying patterns out years ago, there simply is no pattern.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply