who pays for breakages?

If a parcel is wrapped and packaged with FRAGILE tape who pays for breakages?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

who pays for breakages?

If it was sent via Australia Post, they have no fragile service, even if the sender uses tape, huge writing etc

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

The receiver takes the item and packaging to Aust Post and if Aust Post deem the packaging as adequate to their specifications a claim can be made.

If Aust Post deem the packaging inadequate (needs to withstand 10 kg dropped on it from 1 metre or there abouts) seller is responsible.

image host
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

It is 20kg and shoulder height (approximately) Kopes.

Short of a steel box, it is very difficult to convince AP that anthing is adequately packed....they don't like parting with any money.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

I have mentioned this before, but it works really well, so here goes again.

I buy biscuit and sweet tins from my local op shops and garage sales for around 50 cents each.  I keep a range of sizes and shapes in a big box in the shed. Wrap the fragile item in bubble wrap and put the whole lot in a suitable sized tin and tape the lid so it cant pop off. This then goes in a 500 gm. or 3 kg satchel. It works a treat and I have never had a breakage yet. This includes fragile glass items.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

Was it the decanter or the candlesticks? I post quite a few fragile items, like antique teacups and plates (amongst other things). If I am packaging cups or glasses, I stuff the inside with paper towel, tissue paper or some other lightweight paper. I make sure it's packed in tight. I then wrap each item in that thin foam packaging so there are at least 5 layers on each side. I roll that on long ways (so roll it up into a tube).

About half way along the sheet of thin foamy stuff, I fold one end in over the cup/glass. I then roll it one more time so the bit that just got folded over on the end is now on the bottom side. I then fold the other end in. That way you have the thickness of each end also adding to the padding on each side. I then wrap in bubble wrap.

When I put it in a box, I put a layer of bubble wrap, another soft type of packaging or packing peanuts on the bottom. I then put the item in. The rest of the box is then filled solid with whatever packaging material you've got (yes, you can use newspaper). Close the lid over but don't seal it. Pick the box up and shake it. If you can feel ANY movement at all, stuff some more packaging in. You want it stuffed so tight that there is not even a mm of movement. Movement causes breakages, even with a single item.

I have never had a breakage.

Unfortunately, you are going to be liable for the breakage. It doesn't matter how well you pack it, Aust Post will still say it wasn't adequate because they don't want to pay out on it.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Was it the decanter or the candlesticks? I post quite a few fragile items, like antique teacups and plates (amongst other things). If I am packaging cups or glasses, I stuff the inside with paper towel, tissue paper or some other lightweight paper. I make sure it's packed in tight. I then wrap each item in that thin foam packaging so there are at least 5 layers on each side. I roll that on long ways (so roll it up into a tube).

About half way along the sheet of thin foamy stuff, I fold one end in over the cup/glass. I then roll it one more time so the bit that just got folded over on the end is now on the bottom side. I then fold the other end in. That way you have the thickness of each end also adding to the padding on each side. I then wrap in bubble wrap.

When I put it in a box, I put a layer of bubble wrap, another soft type of packaging or packing peanuts on the bottom. I then put the item in. The rest of the box is then filled solid with whatever packaging material you've got (yes, you can use newspaper). Close the lid over but don't seal it. Pick the box up and shake it. If you can feel ANY movement at all, stuff some more packaging in. You want it stuffed so tight that there is not even a mm of movement. Movement causes breakages, even with a single item.

I have never had a breakage.

Unfortunately, you are going to be liable for the breakage. It doesn't matter how well you pack it, Aust Post will still say it wasn't adequate because they don't want to pay out on it.

This is simply untrue.   IMO it depends if you packaged the items in accordance with Australia Post advice, a cooperative buyer that will work with you on the issue, how helpful and fair their local PO staff are and if push has to come to shove, how persistant you are in pursuing AP for damages up to the amount the post method you sent by provides for in the AP terms and conditions.   

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

I am speaking from my own personal experience at several AP outlets. I've had a few things arrive broken. Some were obviously inadequately packed (plates wrapped in a single sheet of newspaper and put into a satchel), which I went after the seller for. Others were packed very well in sturdy boxes. AP told me that unless they are packed in their boxes (the BX ones), it would be considered to be inadequate.

Every claim form I put in (the green one) was rejected, except one, as even though they could see it was a sturdy box and there was plenty of good quality packaging, it wasn't enough in their eyes. The one that wasn't rejected was packaged in a BX box. It had a tyre track running over the end of it.

If you've managed to claim for every breakage you've received, regardless of packaging, then booyeah for you. It doesn't work that way for most people.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

@chameleon54 wrote:

I have mentioned this before, but it works really well, so here goes again.

I buy biscuit and sweet tins from my local op shops and garage sales for around 50 cents each.  I keep a range of sizes and shapes in a big box in the shed. Wrap the fragile item in bubble wrap and put the whole lot in a suitable sized tin and tape the lid so it cant pop off. This then goes in a 500 gm. or 3 kg satchel. It works a treat and I have never had a breakage yet. This includes fragile glass items.

Thanks for that tip, I often use the plastic containers that takeaway food comes in for small enough fragile items. If sending small. flatish items, glass or ceramic jewellery for instance, I have used CD and audio tape cases of which I have kept plenty although the CDs and tapes have long been gone.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

who pays for breakages?

thank you for clarifying that was just your experience.  That was not how your post read to me.

With AP, my experience has been that if you have done the "right thing" and operated in accordance with their published terms and conditions and packaging and other advice, and you are willing to spend time and energy pursuing them along these lines, you are highly likely to get a better outcome, than if you did nothing and accepted the furphy that there was nothing you could do to recover your losses. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply