why does Ebay take a fee on postage?

Why does Ebay charge a fee on postage costs? We do not profit from this. I charge the exact fee it costs to send an item domestically, this is to be fair to the buyer. And this is also automated by Ebay as it makes uploading process easier. Ive just discovered that on the final postage fee of $8.50 (for example) Ebay take 93 cents? What purpose does this serve other than ripping off the seller? With both paypal and ebay fees on top of this i am out of pocket. Its already a struggle to sell on ebay. Literally ill sell my items somwhere else. 

Message 1 of 83
Latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: why does Ebay take a fee on postage?

@southpaw1883 wrote:

It’s like allowing buyers 4 days to make payment. What business in the world allows this?

Millions of businesses allow this, lol - some allow even more (30 day payment terms after goods have been received is extremely common). Do you pay for your electricity in advance? When you get a bill, what's the due date? Longer than 4 days, I imagine. 

If you went to Starbucks and said "I'll pay for a coffee in 4 days", they'd probably look at you a bit weird but they wouldn't give you a coffee there and then, just like an eBay seller doesn't send out goods until payment is made (and even then, there's no guarantee the buyer has paid for their eBay purchase in full, what with Afterpay being a thing now). 

Fees on postage sucks, but unless there's something that can be done about it and - more importantly - someone actually does that thing instead of just complaining, sellers have a choice of either working with them or not using eBay to sell. I'm going to go ahead and assume there isn't anything that can be done about it, otherwise someone would have found it by now, so when complaints are raised here about it, you're only going to get one of two responses - one is the "totally agree, ebay sucks" response, which feels validating, I'm sure, the other is "well, it is what it is, best thing to do is make sure your costs are covered" etc, if you're looking for an ego stroke, I suppose the first kind of response is preferable, if you're looking for a productive way to make selling on eBay more tolerable and successful, however, that "ebay sucks" kind of response is completely worthless. 

Message 81 of 83
Latest reply

THERE **bleep**S 

Message 82 of 83
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 83 of 83
Latest reply