Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

Let's continue the great thread from the 'old' boards and share information about Library Sales, Book Fairs
Message 1 of 1,392
Latest reply
1,391 REPLIES 1,391

Re: Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

Went to the Casey Library book sale in Cranbourne yesterday.  Cursing my (usual) bad navigation and (usual) lateness I got there with only 25 minutes to go.  However, they were telling everyone as you walked in, "$5 for a box", and they were pretty big boxes that they had.  They had a stack of good quality, virtually new condition, hardcovers there and I easily found 27 books I'm happy to add to the burgeoning collection at less than 20 cents a book.  

Just a question for the sellers here...are library books an absolute no-no for resale?  The library books these days aren't full of stamps or have flappy date list thingys in them.  These all had a small bar code at the bottom of the front cover, a small sticker inside the back cover, and author initials on the spine.  And people don't write inside library books!  They were perfectly covered in plastic (mylar?) and in virtually new condition.  Some of them were only 3-4 years old.  I'm very happy to own them.

They have sales at Cranbourne every six months, in February and August, and I'll be back!

Geelong Book Fair this coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday...huge fair @ $1 a book and usually $5 a box late on Sunday.

Will post the September fairs soon at:-

bookfairsblog.wordpress.com

fb   "book fairs australia"

Message 1361 of 1,392
Latest reply

Ex-library are fine to sell and if it is rare, it still will sell at a good price.  My description and photos all show signs of ex-library so the buyer does not get a nasty surprise.  Australiana, art and car books that are ex-lib can be worth good money.

Message 1362 of 1,392
Latest reply

Thanks Mybo,  I'd just sensed a bit of an aversion to them.  I'm finding some of the library sales are a better source of books than a lot of the book fairs, particularly on price and the quality of the h/c's.  Altona library is always good at 50 cents a book, and recent sales at Cranbourne and Emerald have been good value too.

Message 1363 of 1,392
Latest reply

Have just posted the Victorian book fairs for September to the blog (23/8).

Note that there are a couple coming up soon only recently discovered; Leongatha Library book sale Thursday and Friday this week, and Vermont Lions Club book fair on Saturday.

Geelong this time around seemed a bit down on quality and quantity.  Seem to be more library books than there used to be so maybe they aren't pushing for donations as hard now.  The library books were not of the quality that you get at actual library sales either; may have been in and out of boxes a few times now.  Did their usual $5 for a box of books in the last hour on Sunday though.  Smiley Happy

Message 1364 of 1,392
Latest reply

Just saw your post about the Latrobe City library sale Pete. Thanks for the reminder. I didn't go last year as we had something on on the Saturay & I forgot all about it on the Sunday. This year the dates are better for me as the AMC expo in Melbourne is the weekend before, so no clashes. I take my Aspy teen to the conventions & geek out. This year made the mistake of going to Supanova both days & now we have to go both days for all of them. Even the anime one in a couple of weeks, which will see me sitting around minding bags & drinking lots of coffee. Man Frustrated

Message 1365 of 1,392
Latest reply

I had to google AMC and Supernova Sqauki...you are dedicated!

Visited the Leongatha library sale.  Not huge but they had quite a few books I liked and ended up with ten for $5.  Also had soup and sandwiches available.  First time I've been to Leongatha and it's a lovely drive once you get past Westernport Bay.

Was thinking about the Geelong Book Fair during the drive...I don't think they can claim to be Victoria's biggest any more.  Yarragon has them covered in nearly every way...more books, better display, more helpful and generally better quality.  The only thing Geelong has over them is better prices (and they are only ten minutes away).  I'd like to know how Yarragon manages to get so many books together!

Hope I make it to Latrobe book fair on 22,23 October.  

Just noted earlier the Hobart book fair that started today, and continues Saturday and Sunday, sells their books by the spinal centimetre....80 cents per cm.

fb  "book fairs australia"

Message 1366 of 1,392
Latest reply

Not sure which Peetie you were at Leongatha. 

It was great and we ended up with 8 boxes full.

40c a book was very good

Doh! missed West Geelong - one of my fave's

Too bad I was in Thailand when Yarragon was on though lucky Denis and Squaki's son managed to get a few good finds in my absence.

Hopefully once parliament gets into full swing next week that things should start to get back to normal in the retail feild. 

Elections are always bad for consumer confidence.

Cranbourne was cheaper than usual, sometimes depends on the person serving you as to what they will charge you per item

Haven't gotten an email from the balnarring book sale yet so don't know if it's been or comming up yet.

Haven't seen the Mt Eliza Lions or Rotary book sale advertised yet.

Wondering when the local history books sale is going to be up on A'Beckett st Melb. too.

Message 1367 of 1,392
Latest reply

Pete I don't know if you're aware that West Gippsland libraries have an annual book sale at the West Gipps Art Centre on the Friday after Cup Day. Always that day, been going for a long time. Was $7 per enviro bag when I went last year. I don't always go though. It's always well set out.

Message 1368 of 1,392
Latest reply

Thanks Sqauki,  I had it on my calendar for the Saturday for some reason.  Looks like an early drive as they say they are usually done by md-day!  

Heard a fascinating show on Radio National the other day about TMS.  Go to the ABC radio web site and search for John Elder Robison...the 55 minute version is best cause there's a follow up with a local expert, and also a story on what happened to Bronsan from Round the Twist (that was great too).

Thanks again for the heads up.

Message 1369 of 1,392
Latest reply

So that's why there weren't many left when I got there mr forgetful  Smiley Happy

Message 1370 of 1,392
Latest reply