Sellers tips for getting stock

Mine would be to start off the negotiation with "I don't need it"

Showing any sort of demand in something usually kerbs any future negotiations.

ie: I've been after one of these for years, doh! good way to blow the haggling that may have occured had you rather just asked hom much it was and then start back with, "I don't really need it" even start walking away from it so as to make the vendor know you can leave it so that they may reply with a "go on, you can have it for ..." :^O

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

I go to Lifeline on Sundays when they're $15 a green bag, the bi-monthly YMCA garage sale at $40 per decent sized box and a Salvos at $1 per book.

Keeps my stock levels up.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 2 of 55
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Our Salvos doesn't turn over stock of books as all the "good" books get sent to Melbourne,(they even have a dealer that "helps" them go through them),X-(

So they have the same old stock sitting on the shelves with ludicrous prices,:-(

An example is Enid Blyton Deans editions for between $8 and $15 as that's what their dealer says they are worth.

I have 20 of them sitting here that I can't even sell for $20 ,;-)

I've never seen other editions there,:|

That goes the same for other books,lots of book club editions but nothing decent,X-(

There are a few other Op shops here and in towns that we go to/past at times and I'll get some from there now and then.

The only other stock I now get is from garage sales,(which has been very slim pickings of late).

As I haven't sold anything since September on this ID,it gives you some idea of how slim,:O

But I still have a healthy PP account so I can still buy more junk,carp,items,;-)

Message 3 of 55
Latest reply

I've found the odd gem at the Salvos, but mainly it's MM stuff. Which does sell; I just don't make a lot out of it.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 4 of 55
Latest reply

Some salvos and Vinnies stores these days arent as cheap as what they once were on some things, but you can find some gems in those stores though

VInnies has a 2 for $1 book sale on here the past 2 weeks, a lot left is rubbish or not worth reselling on eBay, but getting it before they advertised it saw me come out with a few bags full lol

Message 5 of 55
Latest reply

I have noticed that my local Salvos are reducing the shelf space for books.  One particular Salvos no longer has ANY books for intermediate and young adult readers, only a few books for preschool children.  Their prices are much higher than other nearby op shops, so their books sit much longer on the shelf.  Their lack of flexibility on book prices is losing them customers.  What a pity.

Message 6 of 55
Latest reply

with opp shops like garage sales, it's all about who gets in to look at the new stock first. New being latest donations.

Usually Sat. and Monday mornings here.

Message 7 of 55
Latest reply

cudlee_creek
Community Member

The Salvos here you can find new stuff every morning, then in the afternoon they sometimes have new stock out as well.

The Salvos here keep the new DVDs in the office so we get first look when we walk in ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 55
Latest reply

Salvos here in the industrial park suffers from a lack of patronage/donations

Vinnies is the best by far however you can find that elusive bargain in the smaller hospital and animal aid opps.

trialling a couple of auctions here to stick my toes into the water so to speak now that the town has gone back to its slower period

Message 9 of 55
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

Mr Forgetful I was looking through your auctions and saw one I could be interested in .Just courious how you can charge $19.25 for a 440 gram book??

Dave

Message 10 of 55
Latest reply