Can't sell to Sydney

I have been selling sportscards for approximately 6 years on ebay with my hands tied. I will send anywhere in Australia but the Sydney Metro area is excluded for some reason.

I did not instigate this and ebay has been unable to fix it. I would - obviously - like  to sell into the Sydney Metro area as it constitutes at least 40% of the overall Australian market. 

My choices are either to continue or as ebay has suggested close my store and start from scratch.

How bad is that?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Can't sell to Sydney

I spoke with them again for 1 hour today. They acknowledge that there is no exclusion at my end. Only at the buying end. For the 6th time they will be sending it upstairs for a more thorough look.

I understand it may sound simple to you but it's anything but simple. And to reiterat I did not put the exclusion in. It doesn't have the exclusion anywhere at my end. Just at the buyer's end. I suspect this is what's called a glitch that they can not fix. I have better things to do with my time then chat to an ebay rep on the phone for  hours

I spent 2 hours with them 6 weeks ago where they tried getting me to make new policies, and all sorts of other potential workarounds but to no avail.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

So if you go to    account preferences  > selling preferences > shipping preferences,  Excluded locations,   Next to Domestic, does it  show  0  or 1 or more.

I suppose even if it is showing 0, you could try hitting  the edit tab, and then see what happens if you check and uncheck the  Sydney Metro  box.

One thing for certain, it won't make things worse.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

That will only happen when the person who started the topic clicks on the box marked as solution. Are you saying you also did not do that?

Nothing as marked as solved here/now

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

No. You are right I did do that. How sneaky of ebay to immediately switch the tab to accept as solution after you hit the reply button. Again, I acknowledge that that was my mistake but it just shows how sly ebay is. Probably half the Accept As A Solution date are mistakes - which is what they have intentionally done.

I did not exclude Sydney - only an insane person would exclude themselves from 50% of the marketplace and ebay can not fix this glitch. Those re the facts

What part did you not understand? Ebay have been trying and failing to fix this situation for many years and it's crazy that my only option is to close my store and start from scratch. In fact I'm getting angry as I'm typing this. I should have made this public far earlier. The situation is so amateurish and I've barely said a word on social media. 

Please do something better than gatekeeping for a monopolistic entity that engages in all sorts of amoral practices - like still charging a seller for commission on money the seller has refunded. Legalised theft in my opinion.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

eBay do not operate the forum and nor does anyone (ie the mods on the forum) 'switch the buttons') 

Sorry

Regardless of how much abuse you wish to hurl at other members

Your actions are your own

eBay has not been 'trying to fix' anything

You were given a scripted response to get you 'off the line' (chat) as fast as possible, as is everyone who contacts eBay with a question which is put in the 'too hard basket'

And nobody from eBay is reading your post now

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

...all listings now gone

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Just goes to show how easy it is to inadvertently hit the wrong button without even realising it.

Or see what you expect to see rather than what is actually there.

Hope OP runs the check suggested by gutterpunk, as said what harm could it do?

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

My listings?

I haven't touched them. They are still showing. All 900+.

If they are not visible that would be thanks to ebay. I haven't touched them.

I will be closing the store shortly, though. Trying to make this work without Sydney has become impossible. It's disheartening to say the least. It takes a lot of effort at the beginning to build up trust not to mention that it takes 3 weeks to even get paid at the start.

Still we'll be better off in the long run.

I regret letting OP get under my skin but I was hoping for help in here. I've never been on this forum before and did it as a last ditch attempt hoping for help. To then have someone dismiss you as if you are lying is difficult to deal with. 

All the best to those who tried to help and were kind.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

974 to me. Maybe twyn is in Sydney metro.

The OP - opening post, opening poster - is you. If you let yourself get under your skin...

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Cancel all your international region exclusions, come back once done and we can check if the domestic exclusion is still showing or not, depending on the result further steps can be recommended.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply