Error 80016 "doesn't combine postage" - Will eBay EVER fix this???

For the last two weeks now I've had people messaging me telling me when they request total, they're told I don't combine postage.  I do combine postage.  Turns out it's this error 80016 that stops it all dead in its tracks and forces the buyer to buy it in one go and then I have to refund the excess postage paid.

I speak to eBay and get told I'm priority, I'll get "an email" and other rubbish like that.  Ebay and priority are poles apart when it comes to things like this. I'm tired of being fobbed off by them.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Error 80016 "doesn't combine postage" - Will eBay EVER fix this???

Thank you for your response.  It also gives me that "oh it's not just me" feeling..  They've been telling me the same thing.  Priority, priority, it's been escalated, we understand, you'll get an email.  Next they'll be telling me to change internet providers or something🙄.  Like you, I don't want to have to change settings that shouldn't need to be changed. Two people have contacted me told me the weren't going to follow through.  One did the "refund excess postage" route.  I'm amazed they haven't fixed it since they don't get their share of the exorbitant fees.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Yeah, it's ridiculous.  Sorry to read it's gone on for so long with you.  For me it's now in its third week...

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Oh dear... looking at the replies to this and the other feed, more and more people are having the same problem ☹️  It astounds me because eBay lose their exorbitant fees in the process.  It would explain why more record sellers are heading over to Discogs which will certainly be my next step if eBay keeps stuffing their customers around like this.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

As a buyer i just got this message and I am not using the app. Really not sure if want to proceed with checking out items in my cart. 

Most of the comments on ecommercebytes blame the stupid buyers and or using the app!

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Contact the seller.

They may not know it's happening to them.  They may offer to make you a special listing with all the items and the correct postage, or offer to refund the excess.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Sent a message with the sale. He said he would refund excess postage when he sends it (Monday).

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

It's annoying as a buyer, that's for sure and I'm in my fourth week of this ridiculousness. 

What I've done with my listings is let people know in the instructions and the description there's a problem.  The way around it I do for people is to ask them the items they want and I can go in to those listings and change the postage for those listings.  Then you're not going through the hassle of having to be refunded the extra postage (especially if you don't have that kind of money in the bank).  So if someone wants three of the comics, I can mark two as free postage so you can still go to checkout and get the combined postage that way.

Like we've all said, it's frustrating for buyer and seller alike but eBay are just turning a blind eye to it and have done so for years.  It's gotten worse since mid January, too, as a lot of sellers worldwide have all of a sudden been affected.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@2005verrall wrote:

It's annoying as a buyer, that's for sure and I'm in my fourth week of this ridiculousness. 

What I've done with my listings is let people know in the instructions and the description there's a problem.  The way around it I do for people is to ask them the items they want and I can go in to those listings and change the postage for those listings.  Then you're not going through the hassle of having to be refunded the extra postage (especially if you don't have that kind of money in the bank).  So if someone wants three of the comics, I can mark two as free postage so you can still go to checkout and get the combined postage that way.

Like we've all said, it's frustrating for buyer and seller alike but eBay are just turning a blind eye to it and have done so for years.  It's gotten worse since mid January, too, as a lot of sellers worldwide have all of a sudden been affected.

Trouble with that is, you get some "keen eyed punter" come along and snap them up before your buyer does. They may have been watching them and now they are suddenly free postage, YAY!

Better off revising one of the listings and adding the other items to that. I ask sellers using the Global Shipping in the US to do that, so postage can be combined. Never had anyone say no, and I get the combined postage. Just make sure you increase the price of the combined listing! I had one seller forget to do that. If I was an a-hole, I could have just hit buy, but I'm not, so I sent a message saying that I appreciate that they revised their listing, but maybe they might want to revise the price too. Holy eff, thanks so much, I forgot about that!!!

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply